Callum Wilson

Strawberry

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I see what you’re saying about Chris Wood. What I should’ve added is someone a level below but younger and with the potential to improve. They’re more likely to stay fit and more likely to accept not being a guaranteed starter.

There aren’t many out-and-out no 9s in the Wilson mould as a like-for-like replacement, but someone like Joao Pedro, Solanke, Cunha would give us a hell of a lot more options shape-wise. I’m not suggesting we sign them, but that sort of player and profile. 

Let's put that into perspective:
Joao Pedro - Watford to Brighton £30m

Dominik Solanke - Liverpool to Bournemouth £19-24m (4 years ago)

Matheus Cunha - Atleti to Wolves £44m

So an ideal Wilson replacement as backup would cost £30m. Or a kid who would take 5 years and 100 professional games as a starter to be a strong PL player. Apart from Cunha all of these would cost more atp.

If we could get a bargain like City got with Alvarez (who is really a #10 and far less prolific and clinical than Wilson) who is absolute quality in a few positions. Sure. But most of the suggestions I've seen are super expensive and would expect to start more often than not.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Let's put that into perspective:
Joao Pedro - Watford to Brighton £30m

Dominik Solanke - Liverpool to Bournemouth £19-24m (4 years ago)

Matheus Cunha - Atleti to Wolves £44m

So an ideal Wilson replacement as backup would cost £30m. Or a kid who would take 5 years and 100 professional games as a starter to be a strong PL player. Apart from Cunha all of these would cost more atp.

If we could get a bargain like City got with Alvarez (who is really a #10 and far less prolific and clinical than Wilson) who is absolute quality in a few positions. Sure. But most of the suggestions I've seen are super expensive and would expect to start more often than not.

Which is why i said not those players but that sort of player. To be fair though, £30m for Joao Pedro looks like a solid investment now.
Once they've got their 'big' move to or in the Premier League there's no value left, as you say. You could argue Solanke hasn't had his 'big' move yet but he'll still command a stupid price. If our move for Ekitke had come off, he's the type of player who could challenge for a first team place, wouldn't have cost the earth and could potentially cut his teeth out wide ala Joao Pedro, before shaping into a #9. And we could more comfortably sell Wilson with someone like that in the squad than now, where he's literally one of two strikers we have. There must be plenty more Ekitikes out there?

Edited by Holmesy

22 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Which is why i said not those players but that sort of player. To be fair though, £30m for Joao Pedro looks like a solid investment now.
Once they've got their 'big' move to or in the Premier League there's no value left, as you say. You could argue Solanke hasn't had his 'big' move yet but he'll still command a stupid price. If our move for Ekitke had come off, he's the type of player who could challenge for a first team place, wouldn't have cost the earth and could potentially cut his teeth out wide ala Joao Pedro, before shaping into a #9. And we could more comfortably sell Wilson with someone like that in the squad than now, where he's literally one of two strikers we have. There must be plenty more Ekitikes out there?

Ekitikes himself is still out there

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

These are square pegs for round holes. And very expensive. And that’s the profile we would need to replace Wilson.  

Unless it makes FFP sense, it doesn’t make sense. 

But Wilson may walk away for nothing next summer, it makes FFP sense to bank £10m for him now which gives us £40-£50m to spend on his replacement in the FFP world

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

These are square pegs for round holes. And very expensive. And that’s the profile we would need to replace Wilson.  

Unless it makes FFP sense, it doesn’t make sense. 

Keeping any player who can only give us half a season max. makes less sense. It’s not like he’s going to get less injury prone as he gets older

Given the past few days, can we make thread titles more specific please?

"may be available for Villa (a)",

Available for what? Available to play? Available to sign for Villa (a)? 

7 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Ekitikes himself is still out there

But Wilson may walk away for nothing next summer, it makes FFP sense to bank £10m for him now which gives us £40-£50m to spend on his replacement in the FFP world

Wilson’s fee is still being amortised so you can take a few million off that. And then you’re committing to that £10m for the next few years. Wilson’s amortisation cost is low.

There are situations where it makes sense to sell.  I just think it’s a massive risk. 

I’d sooner sell Longstaff for £10m. 

5 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Keeping any player who can only give us half a season max. makes less sense. It’s not like he’s going to get less injury prone as he gets older

He’s played more than half a season in 2 of his 3 full seasons here. 

And if our main striker could stay fit himself - there would be less load on Wilson which would lead to less injuries for Wilson.  

We all know Wilson can’t play 90 3 times a week. We should never put him in that position. 

Anyways that’s me done.  Cheers lads. 

35 minutes ago, TBG said:

Given the past few days, can we make thread titles more specific please?

"may be available for Villa (a)",

Available for what? Available to play? Available to sign for Villa (a)? 

"May be available for Newcastle (h)":ninja:

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Loan with obligation we would probably accept imo.

Sure, and I think it would be good business. Loan only would be shocking, especially for a player who will break down there

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Loan offers? Do people think we’re some sort of soft touch? Fucking hell

I think Craig Hope has completely made that up to be honest 

So with these rumour to be believed with Trippier and now Wilson  we are wanting to do a mini rebuild in less than 2 weeks of the window in the worse of the 2 windows to do it in.

Either the whole lot is bull shit or we have deals lined up and just cash needed to do them. 

Edited by nufcjmc

What’s with all the random loan offers? 

If clubs want to talk, come to us with concrete financial offers, not some bs loan. 

Not a chance we let Wilson go this window, loan or otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Loan offers? Do people think we’re some sort of soft touch? Fucking hell

It’s January and everyone is skint. I’ve no nowt we’re doing the same.