Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I could even accept the debilitating fitness issues if FFP didn't exist. But it does. If selling players like Wilson can help us keep Bruno and add to our squad, it's a no-brainer. It's not ideal, but perfection isn't an option we've got. We need to learn our lessons.

Long before FFP I had few qualms about selling Woodgate who was until recently the best defender I've ever seen in a toon shirt for the same reasons as were debating Wilson.  Paradoxically if we dont have to rely on Wilson I'd be more inclined to keep him.

I really like Wilson but he's a liability, his lack of consistency puts pressure on Isak, he needs replacing.

I'd rather we are ruthless and sell this summer while we can still get a decent fee. We got £15m for Chris Wood who was 31 at the time. I reckon a promoted team would take a punt on Wilson's injury record to get a quality and experienced Premier league striker when fit.

I see the argument about how hard it is to get a quality backup, but half of the season he isn't a backup at all because he's injured. With age it'll only get worse. Say we take the risk on his fitness again; he'll be 33 next summer, worth significantly less and we'll still need to replace him. We need a wide right player anyway so I'd put the money and his big wages towards a versatile player that can play both positions. They don't come cheap, but clearing Wilson's wages would help a lot.

Yeah I can’t see him staying, the irony being he’s just built a house in Darras hall but that means bugger all with footballers wages/new contracts.

With us almost certainly bringing in a solid number 2 starter he’ll be limited to likely European games and 20-30 sub appearances. As a 3rd striker that works perfectly but as others have pointed out for FFP we need to move him on.

It wouldn’t surprise me entirely either if a RW comes in who can play up front too.

I'm probably in a minority here but I'd keep him at least another year. 

I understand all the reasons to sell a player to give us a bit flexibility and bring someone in, however I honestly think the fee we get would be non existent and wouldn't really help. 

The injury situation has been horrendous this season and despite him being a regular sick note I think he came into this season fitter and sharper than any other, he was just overused when isak wasn't available.

The later chest injury was just an absolute freak of an injury. 

He's absolute quality when on the pitch and I bet Howe wants him here next season. 

8 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Fully fit for the first time in years?

We got the best two strikers in the prem if they both stayed fully fit..

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

I want him to stay, unless we get £15m+ for him. 

We do need to bring in a 3rd striker though, dont want to see Gordon/Barnes playing there.

Doubt we'd have a third striker, most teams don't, likely we'd rely on one of our wingers to cover as third choice, which should be sufficient 

Last season he managed to play the majority of the season cracking in 18 goals, this season he's had a few niggles and the odd weird injury the pectoral recently. 

He's still better than half the Premier league strikers, if you were to go through each teams main strikers he's probably better than most even playing half a season. 

I could see him at West Ham, better than Antonio, but also pals with Antonio, Bowen/Kudus would be a huge help to him, and if Paqueta ends up going for a few quid, West Ham would be in the market to buy again.

I think many sides would be in for Callum Wilson, exceptional finisher, and poacher, just needs to stay on the right side of injury.

I also wouldn't begrudge him staying on with us and playing a more conservative role, he's not got to be second in our goal charts for nothing.

9 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Doubt we'd have a third striker, most teams don't, likely we'd rely on one of our wingers to cover as third choice, which should be sufficient 

Havent seen us play good one time when the wings covered as a striker. One thing is that they arent really good at it, another is that we lose their effectiveness coming from the wing. Especially Gordon on the wing is such a massive part of our gameplay.

Most teams might not have a 3rd striker, but I think we are kinda in a unique situation with Wilson probably only having one year left with us. Getting in a young talented striker who would be ready to step up as number 2 the year after doesnt seem that stupid to me.

As soon as someone puts 12m+ bid in for him, it becomes very hard for us to turn down because of FFP. 

However, if our FFP landscape isn't as bad as first thought and we can sign players without losing Wilson, then keeping him is a no brainer.

7 hours ago, Displayname said:

Havent seen us play good one time when the wings covered as a striker. One thing is that they arent really good at it, another is that we lose their effectiveness coming from the wing. Especially Gordon on the wing is such a massive part of our gameplay.

Most teams might not have a 3rd striker, but I think we are kinda in a unique situation with Wilson probably only having one year left with us. Getting in a young talented striker who would be ready to step up as number 2 the year after doesnt seem that stupid to me.

I think thats more because we didnt have anyone to fill the gap that was left on the wing when Gordon moved inside. If we had a fully fit Barnes and then Murphy/Almiron on the right, then it would work, but even type that out makes me realise how much we need up upgrade RWF

I don't think there's a wrong decision here. Last chance to get any money for him and that £10-15m would help with FFP but having him available for even 25 matches in all competitions could also be worth a lot and save resources for other positions. Think a lot depends on whether we can move any fringe players this summer for any coin.

Just now, Pata said:

I don't think there's a wrong decision here. Last chance to get any money for him and that £10-15m would help with FFP but having him available for even 25 matches in all competitions could also be worth a lot and save resources for other positions. Think a lot depends on whether we can move any fringe players this summer for any coin.

Completely agree with this 

I’m not really convinced that selling him helps us with ffp tbh? We’d have to replace him and it would cost £30m+ to get someone who can contribute as much as he does.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’m not really convinced that selling him helps us with ffp tbh? We’d have to replace him and it would cost £30m+ to get someone who can contribute as much as he does.

It helps if we would lose him for nothing after next season and still having to spend that £30m+ on a replacement then. But it's a tricky situation as I said.

Edited by Pata

29 minutes ago, Smal said:

If you amortise that over 5 years though, that’s only £6m that would come out of next seasons budget.

A £12m fee for him pays for 2 years of a £30m player. A £15m fee for him would pay for a season and a half of a £50m player. When you have the likes of Sesko, and David all available for around those price ranges, it’s a no brainer, especially considering his injury record.

Imagine if we can keep Minteh next season instead of sending him out on loan, then sell Miggy and Murphy. We again will be able to buy a good RW player with amortisation, Kubo, or someone like that guy from PSV, or even Asprilla from Watford?

In my opinion, if we can get a player in for those prices, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I'm not sure I'm convinced myself but I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned Nketiah as a possible #2/3 behind Isak if Wilson goes. He is on his last year at arsenal and no plans to renew. Should be cheap and low wages. His other alternatives are to go to a mid table team and no chance to win anything. 

I'm on the camp that Wilson has to go, unfortunately. It is the most financially responsible thing to do and what allows us to keep other assets. 

I reckon we can get 15-20m for him from a mid table. Bournemouth? Brentford? One of the promoted sides?