Newcastle United 2-1 West Bromwich Albion - 12/12/2020

Disco

Agree with HTT[/member] Think Hayden is a bang average midfielder, offers nothing special. Stating he is our best midfielder is not a fitting endorsement as the others are all f***ing s****.

He said he was abysmal not average tho.

Agree. Not really sure what the point is in slagging off Hayden when he's probably the only midfielder who can press effectively on our books. He's not a great midfielder by any stretch of the imagination, but if we are upgrading there's a few ahead of him in the queue that need replacing. Don't think we'll spend the money required to buy genuine quality unless the takeover goes through.

Agree with HTT[/member] Think Hayden is a bang average midfielder, offers nothing special. Stating he is our best midfielder is not a fitting endorsement as the others are all f***ing s****.

He said he was abysmal not average tho.

Agree. Not really sure what the point is in slagging off Hayden when he's probably the only midfielder who can press effectively on our books. He's not a great midfielder by any stretch of the imagination, but if we are upgrading there's a few ahead of him in the queue that need replacing. Don't think we'll spend the money required to buy genuine quality unless the takeover goes through.

Totally agree.

Hayden is the last one in the firing line when you've got the likes of Shelvey blowing out his arse like a 60 year old on 40 a day after 10 minutes. CM needs a complete do-over and sack the rubbish but Hayden is undoubtedly the last to go.

Hayden is the last one in the firing line when you've got the likes of Shelvey blowing out his arse like a 60 year old on 40 a day after 10 minutes. CM needs a complete do-over and sack the rubbish but Hayden is undoubtedly the last to go.

Shelvey is always pretty good in possession, he does "look after the ball" well in Bruce-speak, his problem is he has absolutely no engine and is virtually useless when we haven't got the ball. It's like playing with 10 men. Luxury players need to be making far more impact in a game. He didn't provide one chance today despite being generally tidy and stylish on the ball. This was one of his better games I thought, but yeah he was pretty much gone after the first half. Rafa would have subbed him on the hour but of course that would be too tactical for wor Steve.

Shelvey is always pretty good in possession, he does "look after the ball" well in Bruce-speak, his problem is he has absolutely no engine and is virtually useless when we haven't got the ball. It's like playing with 10 men. Luxury players need to be making far more impact in a game. He didn't provide one chance today despite being generally tidy and stylish on the ball. This was one of his better games I thought, but yeah he was pretty much gone after the first half. Rafa would have subbed him on the hour but of course that would be too tactical for wor Steve.

He's just frustrating because he's the only one in the middle of the park with any vision and ability to move the play forward whilst everyone else turns backs to goal and sends it back to Darlow. But yeah, no engine and less than useless off the ball. He should have been subbed but options to replace him are probably even worse and definitely less creative.

Think some on here need to give Hayden a bit more credit, he did well to drag himself on the field today after covid hit him hard.

and he still put a shift in today.

More than some.

Absolutely - despite his tendency to have a rest, he’s probably our hardest working player. If you were naming our best XI in order, he’d definitely be very shortly after ASM and Dubravka.

He's just frustrating because he's the only one in the middle of the park with any vision and ability to move the play forward whilst everyone else turns backs to goal and sends it back to Darlow. But yeah, no engine and less than useless off the ball. He should have been subbed but options to replace him are probably even worse and definitely less creative.

All three of these posts are the truth and reality.

Hayden a better CB than a midfielder sums him up and our team, mind he was excellent tonight.

He originally was a CB.

He should stick to staying there then, abysmal midfielder who offers nothing!

The attention seeking whore HTT strike again.! You are a subhuman to attack Hayden a wonderful player and human being like that.

Longstaff looked like he was running in treacle after the 50 minute mark. Made Shelvey look like an Olympic sprinter. Was ok on the ball but so slow that every pass was telegraphed.

He’s played enough minutes now to be fit, so what’s going on?

Longstaff looked like he was running in treacle after the 50 minute mark. Made Shelvey look like an Olympic sprinter. Was ok on the ball but so slow that every pass was telegraphed.

He’s played enough minutes now to be fit, so what’s going on?

Slowvid 50

Guest reefatoon

I’m trying to think of a shitter group of midfielders we have had and struggling. Even when we had some proper piss, there was at least 1 or 2 midfielders who were good and would carry players, but this bunch at the minute are all so bang average, offer nothing and do nothing. The centre of midfield is desperately in need of an upgrade, as it’s so woeful and uninspiring.

Hayden does the job of two players, he’s effectively covering Shelvey not bothering himself off the ball, he’s very good positionally, rarely see him caught out, mobile, can tackle well. Rafa isnt stupid and knew we needed a player like him, who is very good at the boring stuff and gives you a 6/10 at least every game. Can imagine he’s very disciplined and receptive to tactical instruction. I like him

Worth remembering as well that we saw the absolute best of Hayden towards the end of Rafa’s time here. He clearly improved him over the 3 years and I think it was that Southampton game with the Perez hat trick where everything came together. Hayden was able to go and press higher up the field, Almiron was a huge threat and we had a very clear structure and game plan. It was just starting to  get to the level where we could get on the front foot in matches instead of hanging on and playing on the break. Such a shame we didn’t get to see it develop further.

To go from that to whatever we are now, players have basically reverted to default. Systems and tactics should get the best out of the players we have but we have a manager who doesn’t believe in all that so we are where we are.

I’m trying to think of a shitter group of midfielders we have had and struggling. Even when we had some proper piss, there was at least 1 or 2 midfielders who were good and would carry players, but this bunch at the minute are all so bang average, offer nothing and do nothing. The centre of midfield is desperately in need of an upgrade, as it’s so woeful and uninspiring.

Fumaca/ Hamilton/Bassedas was pretty grim

Backed up with Crawford/McClen/Elliot

None of our midfielders are impressive but lightyears ahead of the wank in 08/09. Butt, Smith, Nolan, Barton, Guthrie, Geremi, Duff... there was only Jonas who wasn't either ineffectual or a total disgrace.

In fact I think that's a bit of a mad shout tbh, Reefa. :laugh:

Shelvey's weaknesses are obvious but between him, Hayden, Fraser and the Longstaffs - there's smatterings of quality and steadiness. There's only Hendrick who's total shite.

Anita and Colback as a midfield pair was relegationariffic too, though obviously the average quality was bumped up by the presence of Shelvey, Wijnaldum and Townsend. Sissoko had totally lost interest obvs.

Guest reefatoon

Shelvey's weaknesses are obvious but between him, Hayden, Fraser and the Longstaffs - there's smatterings of quality and steadiness. There's only Hendrick who's total s****.

Anita and Colback as a midfield pair was relegationariffic too, though obviously the average quality was bumped up by the presence of Shelvey, Wijnaldum and Townsend. Sissoko had totally lost interest obvs.

Fraser isn’t a central midfielder bud. I would rather have Nolan, Barton (even though I am not a fan) and Guthrie ahead of the longstaffs and Hendrick like, so for me that set of midfielders was better than what we have now.

Shelvey's weaknesses are obvious but between him, Hayden, Fraser and the Longstaffs - there's smatterings of quality and steadiness. There's only Hendrick who's total s****.

Fraser isn’t a central midfielder bud. I would rather have Nolan, Barton (even though I am not a fan) and Guthrie ahead of the longstaffs and Hendrick like, so for me that set of midfielders was better than what we have now.

Thought you were on about the midfield as a whole. If you're only on about CM then I'd probably feel even stronger. The CMs in our two relegation seasons were a disgrace. Hayden and Shelvey are a solid midfield pair.

I'm arguing for arguing's sake though really. The area needs major investment and I've said several times that, had Rafa been given the resources he deserved, I wouldn't have been surprised if we'd blown a significant amount of the budget on that area. It can transform a team. Shelvey was the last significant purchase in that position; since him we've brought in Hayden, Diame, Ki, Merino and Hendrick for about £12.99 altogether, and only one of them is any use to us right now. It's been a horribly neglected position, particularly when you consider Jonjo's colossal limitations.