Joe Willock

Willock is a funny one for me. I like him, think he's decent for us, a fairly steady performer if you like. I just struggle with his identity within the team. He's not our box to boxer, he's not our attacking threat/creative player and he's not our blocker, he's not a winger either. He's just like there going about his shit. :lol:

I don't think he'll ever be like a dominant force for us, but likewise he's not an issue for us either. Perhaps, I guess, in this regard he's exactly what we need at present. Stability and a platform to build upon. Hopefully, over time and coaching he comes out his shell. 

13 minutes ago, Heron said:

Willock is a funny one for me. I like him, think he's decent for us, a fairly steady performer if you like. I just struggle with his identity within the team. He's not our box to boxer, he's not our attacking threat/creative player and he's not our blocker, he's not a winger either. He's just like there going about his shit. :lol:

I don't think he'll ever be like a dominant force for us, but likewise he's not an issue for us either. Perhaps, I guess, in this regard he's exactly what we need at present. Stability and a platform to build upon. Hopefully, over time and coaching he comes out his shell. 

Basically this, aye.

I feel like he shows glimpses of real quality, but the role Howe has him in isn't really suited to it, he's more there for his willingness to graft his cock off. 

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I've doubts about him but hopefully he was just suffering from the same thing everyone else was yesterday, as by all accounts he was really good against Forest. 

Yeah he was great last week and had a strong end to the season. Everyone seemed really off their game yesterday. Hoping he starts to show some consistency as I think he's got really good potential

44 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

He goes missing too often for me.For an attacking midfield player he creates little,rarely scores and never gets beyond the opposition defenders.I see more in Murphy and he’s far from the answer in midfield.

:lol: Absolutely bonkers 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You couldn't really say anyone bar Pope, Burn, Botman, and Schar had good games tbh. I wouldn't really single out Willock as being particularly bad either. Certainly not as poor as Wilson, Trippier, and ASM were.

I'd say Joelinton was our best outfield performer like, to be pedantic :)

21 minutes ago, Heron said:

I'd say Joelinton was our best outfield performer like, to be pedantic :)

Really? I thought he was loose with his passing, it was his short pass that lead to Trippier clearing it off the line.

Still love him.

I thought that the team did well and got the job done. In the past we'd have rolled over and this group of players don't do that. 

Brighton could well be the surprise of the season and have been working on their system for 3 years 

3 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Last season and this season.

31 games

2 goals

0 assists 

Yeah,I must be bonkers 😀

I mean you were saying Joelinton is our only pressing midfielder yesterday so I can see why you think little of Willock. You haven't been watching him.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean you were saying Joelinton is our only pressing midfielder yesterday so I can see why you think little of Willock. You haven't been watching him.

You haven’t defended his stats.I could have thrown in his exemplary disciplinary record but you could probably guess he’s never been booked or sent off.Joelinton  is our only EFFECTIVE pressing midfield player.Who else looks like winning the ball back when the opposition midfield have the ball? 

10 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

You haven’t defended his stats.I could have thrown in his exemplary disciplinary record but you could probably guess he’s never been booked or sent off.Joelinton  is our only EFFECTIVE pressing midfield player.Who else looks like winning the ball back when the opposition midfield have the ball? 

Joelinton is one of the best ball winning midfielders in the league, in the air and on the ground. Bruno too is exceptional at regaining possession. Willock and Longstaff both press well, which isn't synonymous with winning the ball (although Willock's defensive stats all round are pretty good).

I don't think Willock's role gets the best out of him atm but Howe prefers a midfield three and Willock works hard enough that he can slot in there. And I'm not defending his goal scoring numbers because they're shite, not really sure what your point is here though?

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Bruno and Joelinton are very different players but also are not a million miles apart in the way they move a ball around. They compliment each other.

Willock just doesn’t really fit around that, he sort of looks like he wants to take players on but he doesn’t have that instant acceleration so he’s ineffective around the opposition box. He doesn’t really offer much protection to the back line and when in possession he’s not the most imaginative with the ball.

That’s not to say he’s rubbish, he’s clearly not and he does lots of things really well. He's great at moving past players in midfield and getting a counter attack going, but that’s when he’s had a chance to stretch his legs a bit. And he definitely has a physical presence when we’re pressing.

It just doesn’t fit with what the other two are doing. I think with a fully fit squad, Shelvey plays.

Until we get a creative in, I think for the moment, Longstaff could play dm, and use Bruno higher up to pick passes?

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Bruno and Joelinton are very different players but also are not a million miles apart in the way they move a ball around. They compliment each other.

Willock just doesn’t really fit around that, he sort of looks like he wants to take players on but he doesn’t have that instant acceleration so he’s ineffective around the opposition box. He doesn’t really offer much protection to the back line and when in possession he’s not the most imaginative with the ball.

That’s not to say he’s rubbish, he’s clearly not and he does lots of things really well. He's great at moving past players in midfield and getting a counter attack going, but that’s when he’s had a chance to stretch his legs a bit. And he definitely has a physical presence when we’re pressing.

It just doesn’t fit with what the other two are doing. I think with a fully fit squad, Shelvey plays.

Until we get a creative in, I think for the moment, Longstaff could play dm, and use Bruno higher up to pick passes?

Not disagreeing with the gist of your post, but Willock not being top class isn't going to make Longstaff any better. Neither of them are good enough to make a real difference. Not sure Longstaff has ever been played as DM either.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not disagreeing with the gist of your post, but Willock not being top class isn't going to make Longstaff any better. Neither of them are good enough to make a real difference. Not sure Longstaff has ever been played as DM either.

He played that role really well in one of the last pre season games.

For what it’s worth I think Willock is a better player and athlete than Longstaff but it’s about picking players that can be effective together.. I’m not sure Willock can be with Joelinton and Bruno?

33 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Joelinton is one of the best ball winning midfielders in the league, in the air and on the ground. Bruno too is exceptional at regaining possession. Willock and Longstaff both press well, which isn't synonymous with winning the ball (although Willock's defensive stats all round are pretty good).

I don't think Willock's role get's the best out of him atm but Howe prefers a midfield three and Willock works hard enough that he can slot in there. And I'm not defending his goal scoring numbers because they're shite, not really sure what your point is here though?

You’ve said I haven’t been watching him so you must be right in everything you say and I’ve been guessing wrong.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Haven’t  Shelvey and Longstaff been our defensive/ holding midfield players,as in protecting our central defenders?