Joe Willock: Out for the remainder of the season with Achilles injury (Hope)

14 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Happy, but unless more follow we are essentially the exact same team as last season with the same glaring flaws.

Exactly this.

We need at least one more CM and a decent striker. Gayle excelling in a championship game at the weekend is his level. He will be back to shite in the premiership. Joelinton will be Joelinton.

Think we will end up with another British CB because Bruce has had a hard on for one since he got here. Not convinced it's a need in comparison to the above.  Maybe Choudhury on loan. Still a good chunk of time in the window. Just obviously won't happen until the last minute.

Didn't want him here , the whole fan base will now be a happy camp, nothing will change and this shitshow continues.

The Ashley camp do it every fucking season and our fanbase falls for it .

Just crack on NUFC , back to the same team as last year but weaker and our fans are delighted. Job done ,again.

10 minutes ago, GWN said:

Didn't want him here , the whole fan base will now be a happy camp, nothing will change and this shitshow continues.

The Ashley camp do it every fucking season and our fanbase falls for it .

Just crack on NUFC , back to the same team as last year but weaker and our fans are delighted. Job done ,again.

It's not like we were on the cusp of a fan revolt and this signing sets it back 2 years or anything :lol: People that were going were going, people that were staying away were staying away. this doesn't sway any significant numbers imo

Bought for the same reason Lewis, ASM, Almiron and Joe Linton were, make a profit a season or two down the line. We would make a profit on ASM, but a loss on the others. My bet is if we want to sell Willock in a couple of years we lose out on him as well.

A shit policy for a shit club.

I don't understand why Arsenal don't rate him. Do they have a tasty sell-on clause or buyback option? Normally "top six" clubs sell past-it players on big wages to clubs our level, not their prospects.

There is too much about him to dismiss it all as simply a hot streak. You could halve his goal production, down to xG/shots per game averages, and it would still be a great contribution from midfield.

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

I don't understand why Arsenal don't rate him. Do they have a tasty sell-on clause or buyback option? Normally "top six" clubs sell past-it players on big wages to clubs our level, not their prospects.

There is too much about him to dismiss it all as simply a hot streak. You could halve his goal production, down to xG/shots per game averages, and it would still be a great contribution from midfield.

TBF their fans don't rate him either 

38 minutes ago, Ben said:

TBF their fans don't rate him either 

Yeah, one of my really good friends is a proper Arsenal fan and he doesn't rate him and most of their fans are not fussed about him at all. He has never really performed when in the team for them. Same with Reiss Nelson.

I think Willock is one that benefits from a simpler set of instructions and more freedom on the pitch as he got under Bruce at Newcastle. Arsenal tend to be far more specific and detailed tactically and I think he struggles with that.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, one of my really good friends is a proper Arsenal fan and he doesn't rate him and most of their fans are not fussed about him at all. He has never really performed when in the team for them. Same with Reiss Nelson.

I think Willock is one that benefits from a simpler set of instructions and more freedom on the pitch as he got under Bruce at Newcastle. Arsenal tend to be far more specific and detailed tactically and I think he struggles with that.

He seems to thrive in a team that doesn't have the ball and play on the counter due to his running ability and timing.  Arsenal are a possession team, it's no surprise really.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Suspect playing in a worse team helps him.

Just now, jackyboy said:

Willock will go rapidly downhill here, I think that he's making a big mistake. If he isn't knocking goals in at the rate he did before Bruce will drop him and drain the lad of confidence

He won't be allowed to drop him for that fee, but I agree this could end badly unless they give bacon a couple of loans to support things as well.

1 minute ago, jackyboy said:

Willock will go rapidly downhill here, I think that he's making a big mistake. If he isn't knocking goals in at the rate he did before Bruce will drop him and drain the lad of confidence

Like he dropped joelinton?

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Yup, he’s definitely very underdeveloped tactically but at 21 that’s to be expected, really.

Needs to release the ball quicker and bring teammates into the game more to really excel at a top team. For us though, since we usually get the ball back in our own half (seeing as we have no discernible pressing), his ball carrying ability is so important.

As we rely on players like Almiron and Murphy who, as soon as they get the ball, just charge up the field and run out of ideas in the final third, his pace and ability to get into the box late will get him a few goals.

18 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Yup, he’s definitely very underdeveloped tactically but at 21 that’s to be expected, really.

Needs to release the ball quicker and bring teammates into the game more to really excel at a top team. For us though, since we usually get the ball back in our own half (seeing as we have no discernible pressing), his ball carrying ability is so important.

As we rely on players like Almiron and Murphy who, as soon as they get the ball, just charge up the field and run out of ideas in the final third, his pace and ability to get into the box late will get him a few goals.

Yes, absolutely agree. 

There are deals to be had with Arsenal. I think a lot of their players get top class training and development but aren't always as well suited for their tactical approach. I think the likes of Reiss Nelson and Eddie Nketiah would be clever signings for where we are and could similarly look much better in out setup just like Willock did. Even Maitland-Niles wouldn't be a bad shout as I like him at right-wing back, but it seems he is intent on wanting to play in central midfield going forward. 

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Shelvey is the fucking problem really, useless fucker won't drop him.  If it was a rotating midfield of Willock, Hayden, Longstaff, Shortstaff + 1 new addition I'd be less concerned but it'll always be some of these players with Shelvey :/

Totally agree. Why they feel the need to play Shelvey when we have 5 at the back anyway is crazy. All he wants to do is sit right next to them and boot it off the pitch. Need more mobile midfielders who push on.

Guest HTT II

He’s perfect for us given his attributes, that and all he really has to do is run, break from deep and get into the box and score. At Arsenal it’s a more measured, technical and tactical system which he falls way behind in because that’s not his game. You either, with players like him, build a system around him, or try and fit them into a system and it’s easier to build around the likes of him due to his limitations and sadly for us, it’s better for us actually to have one such player or two in him and ASM. Long term it’s round pegs in square holes really.

Edited by HTT II