Joe Willock

15 minutes ago, GWN said:

im not saying it was , however the general mood was awful, now it’s all good again and more forgiving if we have 3 or 4 early defeats , had Willock not  signed the atmosphere would soon be toxic , it won’t be now .

the numbers I agree wouldn’t change , our fan base can’t stay away in numbers to hurt , a fact , whatever.

I mildly agree, but "toxic" is probably a stretch. New season joy is always going to buy a little leeway. And I'm not sure our fan base is even capable of reaching 'toxic'. Unless toxic means mild groaning when someone misplaces a pass / bewwing at 93 minutes.

Sat bored and watching this highlights video of him. Excellent control, movement and anticipation

Spoiler

I'm guessing if he signs, the other Marseille player we've been liked with won't happen? Not that hopes were high for more signings anyhoo

Edited by Willow

3 hours ago, dinotheprehistoricgeordie said:

Is he worth the price? It seems to be a lot of money for a player that's had 1 good season. 

He'll go on to be worth a lot more IMO. Even if he's got shortcomings which we aren't really seeing because of the way we sit deep, goal scoring midfielders will always fetch good money. Especially at that age. 

The way we play he's worth every penny twice over. 

Just now, Ben said:

Don't get me wrong I think he's a great player but why does nobody else? 

It's a lot of money for 4 months of form. Just have to think back to Kenedy or even Longstaff as to why clubs are reluctant to purchase. Another loan would be what most would want to see but we're taking a chance and only time  will tell whether we got the better of arsenal or vice versa. One thing I'm certain of he won't keep up what he started here, we have to be reasonable in expectations.

6 minutes ago, Dokko said:

It's a lot of money for 4 months of form. Just have to think back to Kenedy or even Longstaff as to why clubs are reluctant to purchase. Another loan would be what most would want to see but we're taking a chance and only time  will tell whether we got the better of arsenal or vice versa. One thing I'm certain of he won't keep up what he started here, we have to be reasonable in expectations.

He might not repeat that form, but the way he plays he will always get goals IMO. Why wouldn't he? Kenedy was just a waster, he had bags of ability, but didn't appear to take his career seriously. Longstaff was probably utilised to his most effective form by Rafa, whose system and organisation suited him perfectly. 

For all we know, other clubs might be sniffing around but he wants to come here. 

I really like Willock but I’m sorry, all I’m seeing here is that we’ll probably stay up again and nothing will change. I.e yes he’s what we would need if we were a proper club but as it is he’s the opposite.

I appreciate everything is shit and the club is a mess, but the level of pissing and moaning at the prospect of us spending money on a player Arsenal fans want them to keep hold of is quite something.

I’m off to watch Requiem for a Dream to cheer up.

20 minutes ago, christ said:

I appreciate everything is shit and the club is a mess, but the level of pissing and moaning at the prospect of us spending money on a player Arsenal fans want them to keep hold of is quite something.

They want to keep Smith-Rowe so he's staying. They clearly don't want to keep Willock otherwise, they'd have given him some assurances around game time and he'd be staying.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

It's enough to keep us up, and that's all that counts for Ashley and the Bruce. 

is it though, a fully fit side yes, whenever does that happen? 
as folk have said we are 2 injuries away from disaster 

11 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

They want to keep Smith-Rowe so he's staying. They clearly don't want to keep Willock otherwise, they'd have given him some assurances around game time and he'd be staying.

Not sure what that has to do with my post but ok.

Just now, christ said:

Not sure what that has to do with my post but ok.

Ah, I missed the word 'fans' in your original post.

The broad reaction from their fans, from what I've seen at least, is that they're not overly disappointed tbh.

A guy I work with, a match going Arsenal fan, said when Willock joined on loan that he'd be a good signing for us and that he rated him but, when I spoke to him this morning, he was delighted with the fee and said they'd gotten more than he thought they would.

FWIW, he's pleased it's permanent as he doesn't think he can keep the form up.

36 minutes ago, christ said:

Then why the surprise at people being apathetic or dubious towards the signing (which I think is more accurate than 'pissing and moaning', from what I've read here, particularly seeing as there's plenty who've said they're happy with the signing...) if you know the dismal bigger picture overrules an isolated positive move? Ashley's still here, Bruce is still here, the club's still on life support, going nowhere - but let's be jubilant cos we've spent 20mill on just-about standing still? 

Fair play to those who are still 'in', such as yourself, mind; I'm envious of those who still get the feelings. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Then why the surprise at people being apathetic or dubious towards the signing (which I think is more accurate than 'pissing and moaning', from what I've read here, particularly seeing as there's plenty who've said they're happy with the signing...) if you know the dismal bigger picture overrules an isolated positive move? Ashley's still here, Bruce is still here, the club's still on life support, going nowhere - but let's be jubilant cos we've spent 20mill on just-about standing still? 

Fair play to those who are still 'in', such as yourself, mind; I'm envious of those who still get the feelings. 

He will have the top, ticket and a program guaranteed for Sunday