Joe Willock

3 minutes ago, Nobody said:

We need to stop calling Joelinton "Joe" mind, it gets too confusing when discussing him and Willock in the same sentence.

Either all three of them goes by just Jo (so Shelvey doesn't feel left out) or or none of them get to go by first name only. 

Don't think anyone refers to Willock as Joe, though. Joelinton is Big Joe or just Joe to most on here.

• 2 months later...

Not been posted in since April so thought I’d give him a bump. Convinced he’s going to have a great season. Last season the first half was poor but after Eddie came in he started to play very well for half of several matches. I think our midfield remains a bit of a mystery how it will line up this season but I think Willock could play in an advanced position with Bruno and big Joe sitting just behind. The winger positions are an odd one as obviously we’re very weak on the right and for all ASM’s talent, he’s still yet to show how he can play for the team 

I’m not saying he should play there or he could do a job there, even. But I do wonder if we will ever see him wide right? As our options there are poor and we carry more of a goal threat when Willock is in the team. 

Honestly think he could be converted to centre forward, the inverse Joelinton. He's tall, a good finisher, pacey. Young enough to learn. An Ayoze Perez type of centre forward, so more of a CF or SS rather than a ST. He times his runs well and so could definitely get 10 goals a season. 

Not really sure he's suited to how Howe wants to play, other than the fact he's got energy to close down and make runs. He isn't technically good enough to play in the CM role I don't think. The fact I'd pick Shelvey there over him right now says alot. He's better off being moved further forward like others have suggested. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Not really sure he's suited to how Howe wants to play, other than the fact he's got energy to close down and make runs. He isn't technically good enough to play in the CM role I don't think. The fact I'd pick Shelvey there over him right now says alot. He's better off being moved further forward like others have suggested. 

I'm assuming he started in CM yesterday and he didn't really impress me, in the first half. Second half he was pushing into the box more, one occasion getting in Billy's way, and the other getting a goal. But we seemed to be playing with a higher line in the second half, which appears to be the goal, so who knows?

The higher line will place Bruno in his most dangerous position on the pitch, likewise Willock. So it could be a goer. 

On 16/07/2022 at 04:47, Lush Vlad said:

I’m not saying he should play there or he could do a job there, even. But I do wonder if we will ever see him wide right? As our options there are poor and we carry more of a goal threat when Willock is in the team. 

I've been thinking the same.  I wonder if Howe will give it a go at some point

He was a pure alpha for us when on loan, he took every chance he got and went fully at it - he dribbled with intent, he pressed with intent, attacked chances in the box and genuinely acted like he was our talisman. He was nothing like that under Bruce (and hurt) but I’m hoping he believes in himself more like he did when he was on loan that this season when he’s called upon this season. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, Kanji said:

He was a pure alpha for us when on loan, he took every chance he got and went fully at it - he dribbled with intent, he pressed with intent, attacked chances in the box and genuinely acted like he was our talisman. He was nothing like that under Bruce (and hurt) but I’m hoping he acts more that way this season when he’s called upon. 

I'm hoping he becomes a more rounded footballer. Learns to keep the ball, recycle the ball, press players and most importantly stay involved in the game. All of this without losing his knack of being in the right place at the right time.

You can't teach the instinct Willock has for a goal. That one away at West Ham is a prime example. 

6 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm hoping he becomes a more rounded footballer. Learns to keep the ball, recycle the ball, press players and most importantly stay involved in the game. All of this without losing his knack of being in the right place at the right time.

You can't teach the instinct Willock has for a goal. That one away at West Ham is a prime example. 

I think he actually presses quite well already, he was winning a lot of possession when he had that little run of games last season. He just needs to learn to keep the ball a bit better, but tbf, he plays attacking football and it's a bit harder than passing it sideways.

Guest HTT II

He’s not a CM that’s for sure, he’s poor on the ball in terms of possession and passing and that instinctive side to that type of game, he’s more of an off the cuff, press, nicks the ball and then he’s away with his pace attacking player who can finish/run onto things. I’d play him wide or ideally I’d like to see him converted into a kind of striker. If he is to play lots of games next season as a starter, he should be looking at 7-10 goals.

Guest HTT II

Btw some family members of mine clean his house, when he first joined after his loan spell he was desperately homesick apparently and struggled moving from London to Newcastle, but he brought lots of his family over who stay regularly and is now fully settled and has been working on his own fitness like Shelvey outside of what the club are working on him with.

Guest HTT II

Also, some of his crew quite like the green grass… reeks of it around his joint apparently! Needs a good lawnmower!

13 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He’s not a CM that’s for sure, he’s poor on the ball in terms of possession and passing and that instinctive side to that type of game, he’s more of an off the cuff, press, nicks the ball and then he’s away with his pace attacking player who can finish/run onto things. I’d play him wide or ideally I’d like to see him converted into a kind of striker. If he is to play lots of games next season as a starter, he should be looking at 7-10 goals.

Yes he is. 

He isn't really, Bruno is a true CM.

Willock is somewhere in between CM and CAM, that's why he fits in a midfield 3 as the attacker, but you can't play him in a midfield 2 as he would leave the other midfielder too isolated.

Edited by Howeay

3 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Stick him upfront like Wenger did with Henry. 

Fuck it, why not, we know he can finish. :laugh:

I don't really know what he's good at when it comes to being a CM. He can carry the ball but I don't think of him as someone who burns past a defender with skill and ingenuity. He can press and harry but I don't think of him as a real ball-winner. He can finish but rarely gets into good positions. 

The potential's definitely there and he's only 21, and he's in good hands. But he looks like he's got some good competition in Longstaff, who I think has a higher ceiling, so he probably needs to kick on a bit this season. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Fuck it, why not, we know he can finish. :laugh:

I don't really know what he's good at when it comes to being a CM. He can carry the ball but I don't think of him as someone who burns past a defender with skill and ingenuity. He can press and harry but I don't think of him as a real ball-winner. He can finish but rarely gets into good positions. 

The potential's definitely there and he's only 21, and he's in good hands. But he looks like he's got some good competition in Longstaff, who I think has a higher ceiling, so he probably needs to kick on a bit this season. 

Henry was a winger wherever he was before Wenger bought him. He did alreet to be fair.