Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

11 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

E9qtbA_WQAkV4ZB?format=jpg&name=medium

I hate myself for saying this as I hate Bruce....

While that would initially look like good news - ie Graham doing the team talk/tactics/motivating instead of Bruce, I'm not so sure.

The players will be being pulled indifferent directions  - its bad for performance and morale.

There should be a single leader with a clear set of instructions with a clear overall goal. To me, that picture screams weak leadership which is, of course, endemic throughout the club.

13 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

His cup record against Premier League opponents.

Leicester - knocked out

Man City - knocked out

Arsenal - knocked out

Burnley - knocked out

Media and a fair few fans praised him for his approach to the cups and getting to the last 8 twice but everytime we’ve faced someone in the same league we’ve been beaten. Fraud, man.

Went out to Brentford last season as well. And needed pens to beat the likes of Oxford.

4 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

The Season only started last week and we are already in crisis, in a relegation battle and got knocked out of a cup, this guy does it like no other :lol:

You can’t just implement a new system overnight ffs. We’re still in transition from Rafa’s defensive football.

Reality is, just as he's coming under pressure, he'll get a jammy win from somewhere and that will give him a bit longer. Then he'll lose some more, come under pressure again, then pull off a couple of results to keep us above water and the pressure's off again. Rinse and repeat until the end of the season, by which time he might have been sacked if we're going down, but too late to make a difference.

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

lass called Kendall I think spoke really well on totalsport tonight.

fans expected to get beat.

carcass of a club.

coach sleepwalking along knowing he'll never get sacked.

you can see why a lot of blokes follow her mind :lol:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/magpies-must-do-whatever-it-takes-to-beat-saints-says-bruce/

“(We need to do) whatever it takes to win a match. Certainly, we defended much, much better against Burnley – that has to be a given if we’re going to get anything out of the Premier League,” he said.

“I don’t think Burnley had a shot at our goal the other night – the goalkeeper didn’t make a save. That was really, really pleasing and something that we have to address to make sure we’ve got a chance in the Premier League. We can’t keep conceding the way we have done, so it was good to keep a clean sheet the other night.

“It’s probably the worst way to go out, on penalties. There’s a huge disappointment amongst (the players), as you would expect. For me they didn’t deserve it, they should have went through in 90 minutes, but it didn’t happen and we lost the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

“We have to accept it, but the great thing about football is there is another game tomorrow. Let’s hope we can erase it by trying to get a result tomorrow.”

(Saint-Maximin) had a kick on the top of his foot, and it looks a little bit sore, but we expect him to be OK,” said Bruce.

“We’re all OK. We’ve got the same problem with the goalkeepers, but we’ve got Dummett in and around it.

“It’s touch and go for Isaac Hayden, but everybody else seems to be OK. He trained a bit yesterday, but considering he was out for a good period of time last year with a knee injury, we’ll have another look at him today and see what we think.”

“Southampton play in a certain way and it’ll be a decent game against them, that’s for sure,” he said. “I expect a tough game, like they all are, and it’s important that we get a result.

“We’ve got an international break coming up and we’d love to get some points on the board. We’ve only played two league games, so it’s still very, very early.

“We’ve had some positive things to come out of those two league games, (but) haven’t got the result which at the end of the day is what everybody needs. It would be nice to get a result before the break.”

So we are happy with our defending since Wednesday's loss to Burnley. Bruce seems over the moon with it, so I guess the home faithful will have a really entertaining game to look forward to on Saturday. 

Guest neesy111

In hindsight yes, Armstrong and Toney would've made it through at nufc but how often do you see strikers actually come through ranks by appearances off the bench etc, rarely (Kane is the notably exception to this) without needing to make downwards step to get game time.  We also had the issue of needing to come up that season.