Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Isn't that what they said about us last time?

I don't think so, last time relegation looked inevitable. This time it's only possible IMO.

We were 11th this time in 2009 with three points more than we have now, how did it look inevitable?

It only looked inevitable once we drew that Everton home game imo, when we knew we'd have Hughton/Calderwood and be rudderless for the foreseeable. I still maintain that Kinnear managing us all season would have seen that Villa game as a dead rubber. We'd have sneaked to safety imo.

I still don't feel the bone-chilling fear of relegation that I did during the Allardyce era. Not sure if that's justified, but it's how I see things.

The future is challenging, but I don't see why we can't turn things around. We saw the quality players that the Ashley regime managed to bring in already. I don't think much will be done in January, but I assume by 'the future' you mean long term rather than the next couple of seasons?

:pow:

It must be brilliant to be right all the time.

All I can say is that my memory of 2009 is a lot worse than current players and performances. From what I remember the team was generally gutless and largely talentless.

Let's hope we go down Dave, so you can quote loads of posts in a few years to show how right you were.

It must be brilliant to be right all the time.

All I can say is that my memory of 2009 is a lot worse than current players and performances. From what I remember the team was generally gutless and largely talentless.

Let's hope we go down Dave, so you can quote loads of posts in a few years to show how right you were.

Don't be daft, I'm only messing man.

I do love it on here when someone dredges up a post from years ago and said poster tries to gain the moral high ground by claiming such a thing is sad and pathetic even though they did contradict themself. :lol:

I now fully expect someone to dredge up a post where I try to gain the moral high ground after someone dredges up one of my posts where I've contradicted myself over a period of time, well can I just say in advance how fucking pathetic and sad you are, fuck off and get a life and that.

I still don't feel the bone-chilling fear of relegation that I did during the Allardyce era. Not sure if that's justified, but it's how I see things.

The future is challenging, but I don't see why we can't turn things around. We saw the quality players that the Ashley regime managed to bring in already. I don't think much will be done in January, but I assume by 'the future' you mean long term rather than the next couple of seasons?

I thought at first this was a post from today.  :lol: says it all really. Dear me.  :lol:

I do love it on here when someone dredges up a post from years ago and said poster tries to gain the moral high ground by claiming such a thing is sad and pathetic even though they did contradict themself. :lol:

I now fully expect someone to dredge up a post where I try to gain the moral high ground after someone dredges up one of my posts where I've contradicted myself over a period of time, well can I just say in advance how f***ing pathetic and sad you are, f*** off and get a life and that.

:lol:

2009: average to poor ageing squad of players with zero motivation, massive off field discontent from keegan sacking....and :kinnear:

2012: most talented squad we've had in years, albeit weak in a couple of areas, chronically mismanaged for the first 21 games of the season

about sums it up for me

Anyone care at all about psychology when a bunch of players go on a losing run, here is a tidbit that rang true for the predicament Newcastle find themselves in, written for my other team which is in a similar position at the moment (Indian cricket team):

All this can be extremely unsettling and distressing, yet there's something that hurts a thousand times more. At least till you get used to it. There's no parallel to waking up on the morning of a match with the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach that no matter what you or your team does on the field, you'll end up on the losing side. You practise as hard as you can, chalk out plans, change the playing combinations, even stick to your superstitions, but all of it proves futile at the end of the day's play.

While the loss of personal form hurts a great deal, you know you can regain it like you have in the past. But the loss of collective form in a team makes you feel as helpless as a kitten up a tree.

In the summer of 2000 I played a season of club cricket in Holland as an overseas professional. When I first met the players, they were bubbling with excitement, positive energy and the desire to do well, and during pre-season training, we were very optimistic of a good performance. The season started with a couple of defeats but they didn't deter us from our goal of topping the league.

We then lost a few more games but didn't lose hope. We told ourselves that the harder we worked, the luckier we'd get. Instead of practising once a week, as customary, we practiced three times. We were leaving no stone unturned.

A few weeks passed and we still hadn't won a game. For me, though, right from the start, the runs were coming easily, and initially the losses didn't matter much. I consoled myself saying that there was only so much a single player could do to influence the outcome of a match.

But a few matches later, still without a win, the runs that had earlier given me pleasure and satisfaction stopped mattering. We played different opponents, on different grounds and in different formats, but the results didn't change.

By then the only thing that consumed us during the week was the impending loss on the weekend. We didn't talk about it. We thought if we didn't talk about it, it wouldn't happen.

There's a breaking point for every team and once that is breached, the dressing room starts to disintegrate, because frequent losses bring out everyone's frustrations in a most unsavoury manner. The first few losses make you look inwards, because you want to improve individually and collectively, but if the trend continues beyond the tipping point, you start pointing fingers at others - your peers, the conditions, the coach, the media and so on.

Another problem with being part of a perpetually underperforming team is that even the players who are in some reasonable form start losing it, because the team's defeatist mindset seeps into individuals.

At the end of that torturous summer, we couldn't wait to part ways. And mind you, this was in league cricket in Holland, where there was no fan outcry and media trial following our losses.

-----

Written by a now retired opening batsman, Aakash "No Relation To Michael or Deepak" Chopra. He was a fucking horrible opener so it's a bit like catching a glimpse of Mike Williamson's memoirs in a decade.

:lol: Fucking hell, got to be careful what you post around here!

What it highlights, in my opinion, is that we cannot just sit back and think that we are good enough to avoid the drop.

Time to wake up and smell the coffee. Time to release an angry missive. Time to open the bed-sheet draw! O0

Going off what Pardew has been saying recently, I think those that can do anything about it are perfectly aware we're in trouble.