Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

I inclined to give Pardew (and the club) the benefit of the doubt because I want to go into every match thinking the best of them and optimistic that I'll be happy after 90minutes (either with the result or, if not, the performance). When I'm not behind the manager or the team (see circa 2005/06), I find it makes for a rather un-enjoyable fan situation - you're  outwardly cheering on a team but subconsciously know that more defeats increase the likelihood of a managerial change.

Reminds me a bit of this:

This is related to my last post, and pure speculation, however......I genuinely believe that quite a few people need to actually see this squad managed by someone who encourages positive attacking play and movement before they'll realise he's holding us back. Or, until they'll allow themselves to see that he's holding us back given that they think there's no chance of him being replaced.

I inclined to give Pardew (and the club) the benefit of the doubt because I want to go into every match thinking the best of them and optimistic that I'll be happy after 90minutes (either with the result or, if not, the performance). When I'm not behind the manager or the team (see circa 2005/06), I find it makes for a rather un-enjoyable fan situation - you're  outwardly cheering on a team but subconsciously know that more defeats increase the likelihood of a managerial change.

This is related to my last post, and pure speculation, however......I genuinely believe that quite a few people need to actually see this squad managed by someone who encourages positive attacking play and movement before they'll realise he's holding us back. Or, until they'll allow themselves to see that he's holding us back given that they think there's no chance of him being replaced.

i find the consistent poor nature of our all round play fascinating, and have discussions at length with a lad at work about it, think i've put here before:

his rationale is that our poor play and total lack of attacking fluidity can not be down to pardew and the coaching staff because if it was the players would simply get sick of it and change it to how they wanted to play

it's an interesting idea, because if he's right it means the players are either (a) following their coaching/instructions blindly and robotically to the letter miles beyond the point when it's become obvious to absolutely everyone during a game it's not working, thus by definition they have little understanding of the game nor are they willing to take responsibility on the pitch, or (b) they're being coached and prepared for good football but are themselves ignoring their own technical qualities and football education and choosing to play a shit game week in week out

i don't know which one i want to be true, but i'm much more inclined to believe it's (a) than (b) :lol:

The coaching and management have to shoulder their share of the blame but when watching the match and you see our players constantly mis-placing passes It's hard to get angry at anyone but the players themselves.

It's hard to believe our training is THAT bad that professional footballers at the top level forget how to play a simple ball.

Lack of movement plays a part but often we are getting ourselves into trouble failing to complete a 10 yard pass when there is someone readily available to receive it.

It's baffling and I don't see an obvious person/persons to point the finger at.

I respectfully disagree. If a team creates a chance and a striker misses it, that's a personal error. If a team can't pass efficiently to create a chance, that's the managers fault imo.

I realise it's simplistic, obviously you get occurrences where there'll be a good move and the final ball is bad. But you've got to adjust to that happening all the time. Why is the final ball bad? One reason I'd offer straight away is that we've only ever got 1 (2 at the most) players in the box when the cross comes in, so it has to be pinpoint to be a good cross.

It's been a full season of bad attacking performances on the whole, with a few examples of good attacking games when we've played open teams like Man U, Arsenal and Southampton.

I'm sorry but I'm still not seeing these issues being addressed, and they're issues I've been raising in here and in person since last season.

Guest ItalianMagpie

i find the consistent poor nature of our all round play fascinating, and have discussions at length with a lad at work about it, think i've put here before:

his rationale is that our poor play and total lack of attacking fluidity can not be down to pardew and the coaching staff because if it was the players would simply get sick of it and change it to how they wanted to play

it's an interesting idea, because if he's right it means the players are either (a) following their coaching/instructions blindly and robotically to the letter miles beyond the point when it's become obvious to absolutely everyone during a game it's not working, thus by definition they have little understanding of the game nor are they willing to take responsibility on the pitch, or (b) they're being coached and prepared for good football but are themselves ignoring their own technical qualities and football education and choosing to play a s*** game week in week out

i don't know which one i want to be true, but i'm much more inclined to believe it's (a) than (b) :lol:

Would this mean that our squad is not even close to be as good as everyone thinks it is?

We were playing like s*** before January, and we keep on doing it after signing 5 players who individually look all pretty good and are internationally rated. Maybe not superstars, but good enough to keep us floating in the top half of the table for sure.

So what's the problem? Southampton don't have half the quality we have, yet they often play some attractive football and don't struggle every single week like we do, no matter who we take on.

Swansea are a good team, but are they that better than us? I don't think so tbh, yet they are comfortably mid table, won a League Cup and had some brilliant games this season where they comfortably thashed the opponents. Under Pardew, we've never ever done that (with ridiculously few exceptions in 2,5 seasons).

I can't help but thinking that Pardew is the blame for our shittiness. Some could argue that injuries played an important role this season and I agree, but last season we didn't have so many and we struggled as much as we are now, only close games went to our side more often than not and were basically won by individual skills rather than by team effort. Coincidence?

Plus, the fact that we often (too often) give away half a game or start really bad even at home against shitty opponents can hardly be attributed to the players only.

Of course I could be wrong, but it would be really ugly if this lot we have now wasn't able to put on a decent performance at least once in a while, at least at home, at least with the likes of QPR or Reading.

So what's the problem? Southampton don't have half the quality we have, yet they often play some attractive football and don't struggle every single week like we do, no matter who we take on.

Swansea are a good team, but are they that better than us? I don't think so tbh, yet they are comfortably mid table, won a League Cup and had some brilliant games this season where they comfortably thashed the opponents. Under Pardew, we've never ever done that (with ridiculously few exceptions in 2,5 seasons).

is the problem in a nutshell for me, swansea's coaching is getting the best out of their players, as is the coaching at clubs like norwich, fulham, west brom, everton who aren't in the top echelons of the rich and powerful in the league yet manage to play football with so-called inferior players...let's even look at stoke who don't pretend they can play football but at least they get results from time to time

i'm not sure how you'd qualify what our coaching is getting out of the players we have at our disposal but it's certainly not anywhere near what it should be, unless of course you subscribe to the opinion that the players are in the most part or equally to blame - which imo is fucking nonsense

from Stu's post below i got the impression he was so desperate to blindly support the existing coaching team he was willing to accept the idea a lot of our players weren't good enough in reality, this is about the worst thing i've seen on these boards recently tbh

I just don't get how you can be so arrogant about NUFC in the Premier League, or so taken by the 'potential' of our players (despite them seemingly not performing near top level for the last 7 months).

Au contraire, MrMojo - it was the comments about people being ashamed at not beating another Premiership team that I was responding to. Out of context, it doesn't mean the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a solid seven atm. We're nowhere near one of the three worst sides but others have the nous to pick up points home and away.

We desperately need to win at home because we won't get another away point. Too cowardly to get anything away.

Got down as low as a 2 a few weeks ago but we're far too close to that dotted line for comfort. The regression of this team has been staggeringly quick this season. As soon as the final whistle goes against Arsenal next month Ashley needs to go down to the dressing room and sack the cunt on the spot.

We're dropping at the worst time but we have the fixtures to rectify things.

Fulham is huge make no mistake

Pardew needs to get it right against Fulham they've got the players to hurt us. Where are they atm?

Got down as low as a 2 a few weeks ago but we're far too close to that dotted line for comfort. The regression of this team has been staggeringly quick this season. As soon as the final whistle goes against Arsenal next month Ashley needs to go down to the dressing room and sack the cunt on the spot.

This, well said Middsy.