Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

If you can't win at home then you have to win away to be sure of avoiding relegation.  We are doing neither and unless we pick our game up quickly, we may find that we slip into the bottom three before long and stay there.

We all know the form, towards the end of the season, one or two of the bottom clubs always find a bit of form and climb out of the bottom, and sides that thought they were relatively safe (i.e. NUFC), suddenly find themselves in the bottom three when it is too late to drag themselves out of the mire.

I can see us going down if we don't bring in good players in the transfer window and keep what we have, but in my opinion Ashley has absolutely no intention of spending any of his own money whatsoever, in January.

I think he is happy to sanction spending if we sell someone to fund purchases, but otherwise I think he takes the point of view that the players we have should be good enough to keep us up, but I fear he will only realize the error of his ways when it is too late.

It’s a fear shared by many. Our home form against the other relegation candidates has been s****. Home and away we’ve only beaten one of the clubs who people seem conceived are worse than us?

If we’re not well clear of the relegation zone by the time we go to WHL anything can happen. Wonder goals, flukey goals, dodgy pens, sleepy linesmen, injury problems, flared tempers. Surviving the relegation run in is a question of nerve. It's a pressure cooker and I can’t see NUFC being up to the challenge - both supporters and players are already battered and bruised by this seasons events. Clubs like Stoke and Hull have a far better sense of purpose and direction, and a far greater strength of unity. NUFC is on it’s knees.

Having three or four top quality players is our one advantage. How many of them will still be here next month remains to be seen.

This is also spot-on - you just have to look at Stoke's battling effort to get a point from Liverpool to see the difference ; they are making up for supposed 'lack of quality' by fighting for their lives, a quality that NUFC clearly don't possess . People talk about WBA being 'already gone' but in many games they have actually played better passing football than NUFC ; back in 1986, we were in danger of relegation but Paul Goddard, never a recognised prolific goal-scorer, went on a scoring run from about Feb which saved our bacon...Goddard was, however, a very good player - we have nobody in that mould now, and if WBA were to unearth someone who can get goals better than their current squad, they will be able to mount a recovery ; Bolton have a record of escaping in the past and Wigan are picking up results...

Its going to be tough unless the team is strengthened considerably...

Is your head that far up your arse you cant remember Chelsea away?

And is yours so far up your own(not uncommon for you either..)that you don't remember Liverpool at home, or have you just discovered selective memory loss...?

You said a battling effort to get a point was a quality we dont possess. I never said falling apart and playing like shit was a quality we did not possess. Not like you to lose the train of logic.

If you can't win at home then you have to win away to be sure of avoiding relegation.  We are doing neither and unless we pick our game up quickly, we may find that we slip into the bottom three before long and stay there.

We all know the form, towards the end of the season, one or two of the bottom clubs always find a bit of form and climb out of the bottom, and sides that thought they were relatively safe (i.e. NUFC), suddenly find themselves in the bottom three when it is too late to drag themselves out of the mire.

I can see us going down if we don't bring in good players in the transfer window and keep what we have, but in my opinion Ashley has absolutely no intention of spending any of his own money whatsoever, in January.

I think he is happy to sanction spending if we sell someone to fund purchases, but otherwise I think he takes the point of view that the players we have should be good enough to keep us up, but I fear he will only realize the error of his ways when it is too late.

Its a fear shared by many. Our home form against the other relegation candidates has been s****. Home and away weve only beaten one of the clubs who people seem conceived are worse than us?

If were not well clear of the relegation zone by the time we go to WHL anything can happen. Wonder goals, flukey goals, dodgy pens, sleepy linesmen, injury problems, flared tempers. Surviving the relegation run in is a question of nerve. It's a pressure cooker and I cant see NUFC being up to the challenge - both supporters and players are already battered and bruised by this seasons events. Clubs like Stoke and Hull have a far better sense of purpose and direction, and a far greater strength of unity. NUFC is on its knees.

Having three or four top quality players is our one advantage. How many of them will still be here next month remains to be seen.

This is also spot-on - you just have to look at Stoke's battling effort to get a point from Liverpool to see the difference ; they are making up for supposed 'lack of quality' by fighting for their lives, a quality that NUFC clearly don't possess . People talk about WBA being 'already gone' but in many games they have actually played better passing football than NUFC ; back in 1986, we were in danger of relegation but Paul Goddard, never a recognised prolific goal-scorer, went on a scoring run from about Feb which saved our bacon...Goddard was, however, a very good player - we have nobody in that mould now, and if WBA were to unearth someone who can get goals better than their current squad, they will be able to mount a recovery ; Bolton have a record of escaping in the past and Wigan are picking up results...

And is yours so far up your own(not uncommon for you either..)that you don't remember Liverpool at home, or have you just discovered selective memory loss...?

You said a battling effort to get a point was a quality we dont possess. I never said falling apart and playing like s*** was a quality we did not possess. Not like you to lose the train of logic.

To be fair we ended the game with 1 out of our first choice back 4 and the mdifield and strikerforce was harldy first choice.  If we have most of our first choice team out we can give anyone a decent game.

It’s a fear shared by many. Our home form against the other relegation candidates has been s****. Home and away we’ve only beaten one of the clubs who people seem conceived are worse than us?

If we’re not well clear of the relegation zone by the time we go to WHL anything can happen. Wonder goals, flukey goals, dodgy pens, sleepy linesmen, injury problems, flared tempers. Surviving the relegation run in is a question of nerve. It's a pressure cooker and I can’t see NUFC being up to the challenge - both supporters and players are already battered and bruised by this seasons events. Clubs like Stoke and Hull have a far better sense of purpose and direction, and a far greater strength of unity. NUFC is on it’s knees.

You said a battling effort to get a point was a quality we dont possess. I never said falling apart and playing like s*** was a quality we did not possess. Not like you to lose the train of logic.

The difference is that when Stoke played us at SJP, they battled right to the end and got a point - people keep saying that they have so-called 'inferior' players to us, but that means nothing unless so-called 'superiority' is combined with determination and organization ; they HAVE battled better than us , and OK, we had a poor side out against Liverpool, but nobody can deny that Stoke gave them a MUCH tougher game at the Britannia then we did at SJP ; they tried to win the game right to the end, even if it wasn't pretty to watch, and those qualities are the ones that will keep you up in a tight battle.

Did anyone really expect us to surrender 1-5 at home, even with some first-teamers missing?

The above comments can also be applied to clubs like Wigan and Fulham...

In any case, a club like NUFC should NOT have such a thin, threadbare squad - that is why I am so annoyed at the policy(or lack of it) that the club has adopted.

Its a fear shared by many. Our home form against the other relegation candidates has been s****. Home and away weve only beaten one of the clubs who people seem conceived are worse than us?

If were not well clear of the relegation zone by the time we go to WHL anything can happen. Wonder goals, flukey goals, dodgy pens, sleepy linesmen, injury problems, flared tempers. Surviving the relegation run in is a question of nerve. It's a pressure cooker and I cant see NUFC being up to the challenge - both supporters and players are already battered and bruised by this seasons events. Clubs like Stoke and Hull have a far better sense of purpose and direction, and a far greater strength of unity. NUFC is on its knees.

The difference is that when Stoke played us at SJP, they battled right to the end and got a point - people keep saying that they have so-called 'inferior' players to us, but that means nothing unless so-called 'superiority' is combined with determination and organization ; they HAVE battled better than us , and OK, we had a poor side out against Liverpool, but nobody can deny that Stoke gave them a MUCH tougher game at the Britannia then we did at SJP ; they tried to win the game right to the end, even if it wasn't pretty to watch, and those qualities are the ones that will keep you up in a tight battle.

Did anyone really expect us to surrender 1-5 at home, even with some first-teamers missing?

In any case, a club like NUFC should NOT have such a thin, threadbare squad - that is why I am so annoyed at the policy(or lack of it) that the club has adopted.

This is true, our defence is so reliant on Beye, Colo, Bassong and Enrique playing because even if one of them is missing we fall to pieces.  Without Beye on sat our defence looked unorganised and I've reliased he is more important to us than we realise, probably more importnant to us than any other rightback in the division is to their respective teams.  He organises the back 4 so well and when you ahve quality centrebacks like Bassong and Colo we are solid.  This needs to be addressed so we are covered if Beye or Colo or Bassong are out, butI doubt it will. 

We shouldn't have been beaten like that of Liverpool but our problem is without them the defence is so unorganised and without a decent midfield to protect them against a very dominant midfield we were always going to get caned. 

Unless we've pretty much fielded our strongest sides against Liverpool or Man U in the last few seasons we've been absolutely destroyed.  We need more bite in midfield and cover for the back four so there isn't such a gap in performance when one or 2 players are out.

But you surely dont deny that going to Chelsea and sealing a draw away from home demonstrates the squad has the sort of battling qualities that Stoke displayed at home against Liverpool?

I can point at Stoke's 5-0 demolition at Old Trafford to make a point that there squad is shit and they cant battle the way we do, hence demonstrating the complete futility of highlighting one game to make a general point about the abilities and characteristics of a squad.

The loss against Liverpool was particularly distressing for me since i'd given up my usual seat to accomodate someone who hadnt been for a few years and bought two extra tickets as xmas presents, ended up sitting next to someone who clearly had learning difficulities as he spent the entire match informing me that his "mam is cooking him roast potatoes at 4" and "he was having chicken for his dinner on new years" and other such pearls of footballing wisdom.

But you surely dont deny that going to Chelsea and sealing a draw away from home demonstrates the squad has the sort of battling qualities that Stoke displayed at home against Liverpool?

I can point at Stoke's 5-0 demolition at Old Trafford to make a point that there squad is shit and they cant battle the way we do, hence demonstrating the complete futility of highlighting one game to make a general point about the abilities and characteristics of a squad.

The loss against Liverpool was particularly distressing for me since i'd given up my usual seat to accomodate someone who hadnt been for a few years and bought two extra tickets as xmas presents, ended up sitting next to someone who clearly had learning difficulities as he spent the entire match informing me that his "mam is cooking him roast potatoes at 4" and "he was having chicken for his dinner on new years" and other such pearls of footballing wisdom.

Forgot all about that.  :lol:

Right, stoke have got so much more "determination and organization" than we do.

It's not as if they capitulated 5-0 at Old Trafford... Oh wait, they did.

It's not as if they were molested 3-0 by a completely and utterly s*** Blackburn side... Oh wait, they did.

Making blanket claims about a side's "determination and organization" based on one or two results will never make any sense at all.

And making those claims about Stoke of all teams? Their first-choice striker just went and decked their captain a few matches ago ffs.

Forgot all about that.  :lol:

I shouldnt laugh really but one of the few people i've seen who missed when he clapped.

I can point at Stoke's 5-0 demolition at Old Trafford to make a point that there squad is s*** and they cant battle the way we do, hence demonstrating the complete futility of highlighting one game to make a general point about the abilities and characteristics of a squad.

Tbf i don't think it was our qualities that preserved a point at Chelsea, it was more our good luck and their lack of finishing. Could easily have been a Liverpool score line.

I can point at Stoke's 5-0 demolition at Old Trafford to make a point that there squad is s*** and they cant battle the way we do, hence demonstrating the complete futility of highlighting one game to make a general point about the abilities and characteristics of a squad.

Tbf i don't think it was our qualities that preserved a point at Chelsea, it was more our good luck and their lack of finishing. Could easily have been a Liverpool score line.

You could say the same thing about a lot of matches. However, I think the table is based on the final result?

Sad as it sounds, i'm just hoping there's 3 worse teams than us this season.

Having said that, while we're not exactly flying, some other teams are dropping like a stone. Hull and Portsmouth for example. The smoggies have took about 4 points from their last 27.

Hope we're safe well before the end of the season. My ticker couldn't take the stress of battling it out 'til the death. Or maybe not battling in the Toons case.

Guest fading star

So far this season we’ve failed to beat Hull, Blackburn, Man City, Wigan, Stoke and West Ham at home. If this form continues we’re looking at about six points from our remaining home games against Sunderland, Everton, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Portsmouth, Boro and Fulham.

We also currently have the fourth worst away record in the division.

With that on top of the game itself, you definitely deserve some sympathy....!!

Yes, Stoke lost 5-0 at OT, but we managed to beat even that when we went there last season...

Generally, though, they have managed better results against teams outside the top 4 , and that may well count at the end of the season - esp if the current inactivity in the transfer market continues for NUFC.

It's not as if they were molested 3-0 by a completely and utterly s*** Blackburn side... Oh wait, they did.

Making blanket claims about a side's "determination and organization" based on one or two results will never make any sense at all.

And making those claims about Stoke of all teams? Their first-choice striker just went and decked their captain a few matches ago ffs.

Yes, and they came to SJP and one of our former players enabled them to pinch a point - true..??

As Fading star points out, our record against pooer teams is hardly great, is it?

Yes, and they came to SJP and one of our former players enabled them to pinch a point - true..??

As Fading star points out, our record against pooer teams is hardly great, is it?

Read beyond the first line. Please.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Everyobne getting down about Quashie signing, I think he could be the new Sibierski who was pusing for the Balloon D'oor when he was with us for next to nothing.

Obviously not a league game, but just look at the players that came here tonight and beat us at home man. Who the fuck can we actually beat if shite like that is winning at St James' Park. Cant wait until 2nd Feb so we can really start to assess our chances.