Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

wish i could find the threads a month or two back with heaps of confident as fuck people claiming "we always beat spurs" etc....

they anywhere to be found?

Yeah alot of people think Spurs away coming up is an automatic 3 points.

wish i could find the threads a month or two back with heaps of confident as f*** people claiming "we always beat spurs" etc....

If it's not why do they call it 3 point lane.

wish i could find the threads a month or two back with heaps of confident as fuck people claiming "we always beat spurs" etc....

insanity

:kinnear:

We don't play well enough against the supposed sh*t teams and aren't good enough to beat the good teams (even when we raise our game) - I'm on 9, bordering on 10 - mixture of players not raising their game/being rubbish and managerial incompetence of the highest level.

I've expended immense emotional effort and angst over the past few weeks, fretting about the ensuing carnage and embarrassment of relegation. If we somehow manage to spawn our way out of relegation on the final day, I will be immensely annoyed now...because it will have been for nothing.

:huff:

Guest Hodgey

It a 9 in my book; not gonna put a 10 on the swingometer just yet as its not a foregone conclusion but I reckon we’ll scrape circa 40 pts:

Wins against Mackems, Pompey, Boro & Fulham

Draws against WBA, Everton, Bolton, Hull & Stoke

Nish elsewhere – can anyone seriously see getting anything other than a good pasting against ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Villa?

Odds range from 2 to 1 (@ Bet365) to 3 to 1 with only WBA, Stoke and Boro on shorter odds for the drop, all teams that we have yet to play again so we should be targeting these 6-pointers as ‘must wins’ and also ‘must not lose under any circumstances’ matches. 

Even 40 pts may not be enough but if the unthinkable happens on Sunday we’d need to get a rare-as-rockinhorseshite away win from somewhere (WBA, Bolton and Stoke possibly).

But with the pitiful tally of 2 away wins in the PL in the whole of 2008 I can’t see us opening our ’09 account before we grace the likes of the Liberty Stadium and the Keepmoat next season!

The ongoing soap opera / horror story / sitcom / farce that is this season is like watching a car crash in slow motion.  How the club emerges from the wreckage remains to be seen; if its not a write-off its gonna take several seasons to carry out the extensive and very expensive repairs!

If we do escape the drop it’ll be by the narrowest of margins and almost certainly go to the last game. Sounds very defeatist and tantamount to treason but I’d almost settle for 1-0 defeats against the likes of ManU, Chelsea and Arsenal as it may well come down to goal difference!!  I’d certainly settle for finishing 17th on goal difference as the potential consequences of going down don’t bear thinking about!

The dial has now gone up to 9.5 as pretty soon we may need snookers given the way other clubs around such as Pompey and Stoke are digging deep.

Those arguing there was no need to panic as we weren’t in the R-zone (by goal difference!!) were splitting hairs and now need to wake up and smell the shite we’re in, rather than sounding like the knight in Python’s Holy Grail saying that ‘its only a flesh wound!’  Its obvious we’re better on paper (with everyone fit) than most of the teams in the PL and way better than those involved in the relegation dogfight but as the old cliché goes the game is played on grass and not paper and sides like Stoke are greater than the sum of their individual parts as they all give it 100% every game.

I would urge people to assess each remaining fixture and place themselves in the position of a professional gambler, as its easy to let blind faith and misgivings about being disloyal get in the way of cold analysis when looking at your own team’s fixtures.  See how many points you honestly think we'll get.  Stoke is winnable (arguably a must-win) as are the last three home games but there’s not much else to be that optimistic about as we’re even a point behind my predictions above. Of the 6 games we’ve won, only Pompey and Villa looked really convincing.  Fingers crossed there’s some unexpected points at Spurs and maybe Villa although we don’t want to need to get something at Villa – cue Milner bagging a certain goal!

If the worst does happen then I’ll be seriously concerned about a wilderness period for the club but unlike some I won’t need the smelling salts to come round from the shock as its simply won’t be that much of a shock given the farcical, illogical and short-sighted decisions made by Ashley and his cronies throughout the season, transforming a club that should be a powerhouse in the Premier League into a laughing stock that many neutrals want to see relegated and are relishing the prospect!

If (and it’s a bloody big if)  we play like we did for large parts of the ManU and Arsenal games we should be ok but one last thing…it may come down to goal difference so why oh why did we switch off towards the end of the Arsenal game?? Luckily Arsenal didn’t bag any more but if we carry on doing that for the last 15 mins if a game is effectively over then it could make the difference!  Sides like Stoke bust a gut til the final whistle with their salvaged draw against Villa a case in point.

I've said that a few times. A little hint: people don't always mean what they say.

What would you get out of finding it anyway?

I've said that a few times. A little hint: people don't always mean what they say.

huh dude?  what did they mean then when the argued with me line by line that we would beat spurs?

i stand by what i write, even when i'm pissed and writing shite...surely everyone should do that or retract? (as i do when i'm sober)

huh dude?  what did they mean then when the argued with me line by line that we would beat spurs?

i stand by what i write, even when i'm pissed and writing shite...surely everyone should do that or retract? (as i do when i'm sober)

Sometimes people post things with their tongue in their cheek.

i'm assuming you're one of the people i'm recalling?  however there was no tongue in cheek in this...is there a tutorial about how to properly search old threads 'cause i think people who argued in january that we'd do spurs and stay up easily deserve outing personally

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

I see us picking up 3 points the rest of the season, it's looking a 10 for me :(

Edit: Too much of a fixture list, I'm afraid. If anyone's interested, he predicts three draws and no wins in our remaining games - 80

We do always beat Spurs though so hows it a claim? :D  Did we play Spurs and lose to them without me noticing like?

Nobody claims that the fact we always beat Spurs means we're guaranteed to beat them again this season.  Just that considering our record we shouldn't be looking at that game as a lost cause.

I haven't seen anyone on here say that.

Goes without saying but we really need 9 from 9 against Pompey, Boro and Fulham (which I don't think we'll get) I can't see us getting anything else. One might say Stoke but I doubt it because of their home form, and the fact we are fucking shit against teams that show an ounce of passion.

I'm between a 9 and a 9.5.

The last three home games we'll need 7 points from at the very least.

Unrealistic to expect us to win all 3 really, but you couldn't ask for 3 more winnable fixtures at that time of year and if we can't win at least 2 then we'll deserve to go down. Pompey and Boro are both as shite as we are, and Fulham will be nicely stuck in mid-table with nothing to play for and hopefully already mentally checked out.

A draw against Stoke at the least would be huge, keep them within touching distance. But Boro should be fucked, and the Mackems, Hull, Blackburn and Pompey are all pretty shit too so if we string some wins together we'll stay up.

Of course, there's no real reason to believe we'll do that.

Be very surprised if we stay up at this point tbh.

i'm assuming you're one of the people i'm recalling?  however there was no tongue in cheek in this...is there a tutorial about how to properly search old threads 'cause i think people who argued in january that we'd do spurs and stay up easily deserve outing personally

we'll probably beat them and go down

Aye, what Karjala said.

There's no reason why we cant win our last 3 home games. We've got to...

The more I think about Newcastle United and the situation we're in, the more I think we'll go down.  :sadnod:

:no:

only game we dont have a chance in atm is the liverpool game.

Even villa away on the last day of the season is winnable, especially if theyre nowhere near catching Arsenal by then as i expect.

Every other game from now on, including chelsea is winnable.

Guthrie and Beye coming back into the side is suprisingly massive for us.

Our problem is the negativity around the whole club. Generally, the clubs that pull away are the ones that are able to show unity, togetherness and a combined fighting spirit. I dont think out club has any of those qualities and the management are doing nothing to try and develop it - bar saying "we have faith in kinnear/hughton" and assuming that will be enough.