Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

Fulham and Southampton are our hope, i really hope they don't sack Hughes anytime soon.

Yeah I'm certain it's one of us 3 for the last spot

I think Crystal Palace could possibly drop below us after their/our next 10 fixtures they have a very hard next 10 fixtures and are still yet to even score a home goal. If Zaha misses any more than 10 games this season for them I reckon they’d go down given as they lose every match without him. But aye likely to be between us, Southamton, Fulham and maybe Palace for the last spot can’t see us staying cut drift with Cardiff and Huddersfield after the next 10 fixtures.

Yeah good point too maybe they are ones to aim for. I was happy to get behind an all out battle for survival last season in our first season back but there's no reason for it again this season and also on an even bigger scale other than that fat moron

whats the point of staying up in any case ? its just rinse and repeat for next season

Simple really, if we are taken over, we want to be in the premier league.

Do we?

With the right owners, it's an extra year or two to get out the Championship.

The division we are in isn't that important. Key thing is getting Ashley out. It might require the club losing significant money through staying in the Championship for a number of years.

Villa have had two takeovers, spent money or signed quality under both and look miles off going up in their third season. Stoke have the same owners but have invested hugely on a promotion push and look nowhere near. Sunderland aren’t a promotion certainty and if they go up will have to spend a shitload to compete at the right end of the Championship.

As fun as the last 3 second tier seasons have been for us, I really don’t want another man.

Guest firetotheworks

whats the point of staying up in any case ? its just rinse and repeat for next season

Do we?

The division we are in isn't that important. Key thing is getting Ashley out. It might require the club losing significant money through staying in the Championship for a number of years.

Villa have had two takeovers, spent money or signed quality under both and look miles off going up in their third season. Stoke have the same owners but have invested hugely on a promotion push and look nowhere near. Sunderland aren’t a promotion certainty and if they go up will have to spend a shitload to compete at the right end of the Championship.

As fun as the last 3 second tier seasons have been for us, I really don’t want another man.

Our Premier League existence is meaningless from our perspective. Wouldn't you rather support a championship club with genuine ambition rather than a Premier League club that's only motivation is survival and Sports Direct brand exposure?

We’ve had a Championship team twice under Ashley and if anything, it prolongs the ordeal. He spends to get up, then spends little because we’ve missed the TV money for a season, I don’t see why a third relegation would be different. I’d sooner we stayed up and the prospective buyers would have more appeal imo and if we didn’t come back up for a while, the more chance we linger around that level for a long time. Not very often you get a Wolves/Fulham situation down there.

Guest firetotheworks

You could say the same about us not being sold while in the Premier League. Providing we stay down there and people stop going post-Rafa (lol) it might be the only way to force his hand.

We’ve had a Championship team twice under Ashley and if anything, it prolongs the ordeal. He spends to get up, then spends little because we’ve missed the TV money for a season, I don’t see why a third relegation would be different. I’d sooner we stayed up and the prospective buyers would have more appeal imo and if we didn’t come back up for a while, the more chance we linger around that level for a long time. Not very often you get a Wolves/Fulham situation down there.

Agree with this. Any buyer who can only afford us when we get relegated isn't going to be much of an owner either.

Agree with this. Any buyer who can only afford us when we get relegated isn't going to be much of an owner either.

yep, need to stay up and home someone prises it out of his grubby mits

You could say the same about us not being sold while in the Premier League. Providing we stay down there and people stop going post-Rafa (lol) it might be the only way to force his hand.

And that’s where you risk a Sunderland scenario. They’re rid of Short but at what expense?  I’m pretty proud we’re one of only a handful of clubs to not drop out of the top two leagues and would rather stay that way.

Agreed. Thought this regarding wanting to stay down in the Championship if we go down. We won't. Ashley will bring in one of his minions as manager who is an utter mong, but okay enough at Championship level to bring us back up. Along with a budget from another one of Ashley's loans, increasing the club's debt to him. And the cycle starts again.

Do we?

Our Premier League existence is meaningless from our perspective. Wouldn't you rather support a championship club with genuine ambition rather than a Premier League club that's only motivation is survival and Sports Direct brand exposure?

Agreed. Honestly, while he's here I don't care that much about what division we are in. Losing money is perhaps something that might make him sell.

Guest firetotheworks

And that’s where you risk a Sunderland scenario. They’re rid of Short but at what expense?  I’m pretty proud we’re one of only a handful of clubs to not drop out of the top two leagues and would rather stay that way.

I'd rather we were non-league and without Ashley tbh.

Gambling on coming straight back up at the first attempt will fail him soon enough.

The price he wants is too high. He won't actually want to sell while we are in the PL.

I think we need to hit rock-bottom for him to sell up. Low attendance. Championship / League 1.

10 years. 1 top 8 finish. 1 European run. 0 cup semi finals. 2 relegations.

Fuck this man. We have the best manager we could hope for and Ashley wants to play Russian Roulette with relegation? Any progress we make, he'll stall investment.

Do we?

Agreed. Honestly, while he's here I don't care that much about what division we are in. Losing money is perhaps something that might make him sell.

He's not going to lose money, he'll just cut his costs and adjust accordingly. It will still be a good vehicle for him to showcase Sports Direct for free, even in the championship. He'll always ask more than it's worth, doesn't matter what division we are in, we saw that last season. As soon as we were safe the price went up £50m. Maybe if we got relegated and stayed down he might leave, but then again he might not. As I said earlier, anyone who can only afford us once we are relegated isn't going to be much better anyway.

Guest firetotheworks

Do we?

He's not going to lose money, he'll just cut his costs and adjust accordingly. It will still be a good vehicle for him to showcase Sports Direct for free, even in the championship. He'll always ask more than it's worth, doesn't matter what division we are in, we saw that last season. As soon as we were safe the price went up £50m. Maybe if we got relegated and stayed down he might leave, but then again he might not. As I said earlier, anyone who can only afford us once we are relegated isn't going to be much better anyway.

What you mean is anyone who can afford us once we are relegated isn't going to have enough money to bankroll the club. An owner that allows the club to spend what it earns is already better than Ashley, it's not about what they can afford, it's about whether they'll also deliberately hold the club back and use it as their own cash cow or not. We'd have to be pretty unlucky to get two of them in a row so I'd happily take that risk.

Do we?

That final point doesn't make sense.

Most smart business people won't spent 350m on something that is worth 270m when there are viable options at 250m anyway. We are a big club but we're not worth paying over the odds for when there's other big clubs around. Wolves were acquired for what.. £50m? £150m to get into the PL. £150m for stadium expansions, it's a no-brainer. I don't buy that an owner that can only afford us as a much cheaper acquisition won't be much better.

Much better is just trying to maximise the clubs potential. Daniel Levy shows you can grow a football club through shrewd development. His company doesn't invest in Spurs, it's self sufficient.

Our players are on PL wages or close to it.  To get us back up he'll offer new players strong wages. The club couldn't cope with missing promotion 2 years in a row imo. He'll be forced to sell players. People will eventually stop turning up. Once everyone at the club has given up, he'll need to move on or he'll take us down the divisions.

Do we?

What you mean is anyone who can afford us once we are relegated isn't going to have enough money to bankroll the club. An owner that allows the club to spend what it earns is already better than Ashley, it's not about what they can afford, it's about whether they'll also deliberately hold the club back and use it as their own cash cow or not. We'd have to be pretty unlucky to get two of them in a row so I'd happily take that risk.

You are probably right, it's just too far down the line for me to even bother thinking about it right now. A lot of things would have to happen for any of that to work out how we want, but if Rafa leaves and some plonker like Pardew is appointed I suppose it is going to be a lot more likely within a few years.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd rather we were non-league and without Ashley tbh.

Do we?

This and this!

I’m still a four. Checking my preseason crystal ball gazing, I’d all but written-off the start of the season (though fancied a win at Cardiff and at home to Leicester—who I expected to struggle this season). I imagined Rafa would have the new players bedded in by mid/end October and was satisfying to see Muto play the way he did on Saturday. Personally, I’ll start to worry (obviously I am not one of the people who want us to be relegated...) if we lose the winnable games coming up or we pick-up a key injury or two.

• 2 weeks later...