Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

I feel like I will never actually know why this never came to pass.

It sounds like all parties probably share a burden of the blame but this I know:

/ One is a malevolent greedy arsehole;

/ One had already invested millions of pounds trying to make it happen (as well as already getting involved in the community and dealing with the local authority); and

/ One is, to some extent, independent and has motivations entirely separate from how an individual football club is run, with no real interest in safeguarding the interests of fans or - apparently - the concept of competition.

One thing I didn't expect is the Premier League not bending over backwards to get Saudi money into the Premier League.

No offence to George but I don’t believe a word he says anymore.

??? All he's done is report what the Staveley camp have been saying?

I’m just not believing any journalist ever again after this saga.

If that’s the case then I hope their lawyers bum the Premier League into oblivion

That's the other thing, if they genuinely believe that the Premier League has unfairly caused them to end up ~£20m out of pocket, why are they even talking to the press? They surely should be sueing them to kingdom come?

I can't understand what Mike Ashley would gain from destroying the deal. He can't be looking forward to the prospect of a season with potentially no paying "customers" coming through the turnstiles. Selling the club during the COVID19 pandemic, Brexit, etc seemed to be very much in his interest, especially as he was making a profit on his investment.

No offence to George but I don’t believe a word he says anymore.

He knew fuck all for a long time and yet people were hanging on to his every tweet.

So many mugs on here, and out of here, wasted their time, energy and effort on following this takeover far too deeply and far too attached to it. Mugs, really.

I remember when the news broke about Rafa and there was a feeling of disbelief, but also a sense of inevitability that nothing will ever work out with our club. The back and forth between manager and club, played out in the media over a period of time before an official statement dropped. I haven't been to a game since the end of that season and it was only when a ticket from a friend became available. Today it was a similar feeling, with no real attachment to the investment group, but just a flat, dismal thought about what could have been. The process has been frustrating, although from reading this thread it would seem a lot of fans invested hope in there being a change.

I just want a club that I can be proud of, that has an awareness of the community that supports it and the people that challenge it to be the best that it can. We've drifted along in the hope of remaining in the Premier League due to the huge financial benefits clubs receive simply for turning up - partly due to the vast overseas broadcasting deals. Football is a product, but your club is what you talk to your granddad about during a Sunday tea - it's the topic with friends that you haven't seen in a while discussing past games - the icebreaker at an event where you don't know anyone. For too long we simply haven't been a club and the longer this antipathy continues the more likely Newcastle United becomes a past time for the majority rather than the few.