Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Aye, from reading that, Ashley isn’t really the problem for once. Yes, he increased the price, but they were willing to pay it.

Premier League wholly to blame.

PL officials were just representing the interests of their other member clubs, and obviously felt that an NUFC with such powerful backing was not good for those other clubs. Although they were never going to openly say it.

or the simpler non conspiracy theory explanation they were worried about future tv deals from bein with regards to the beoutq issue.

Is there any way you can get BeOUTQ in the UK? I'm planning on quitting subsidising Sky and other leading PL clubs, so will happily contribute to piracy if there's a way of doing it.

That's just the frame of mind I'm in. Don't even want to watch but do want to contribute to BeOUTQ.

Even if it subsides I'm hardly likely to pay Sky and the other PL clubs. Be like paying for my own assassin.

Mind, there’s intense pressure and blame at the feet of the PL tonight. Apparently the buyers met on Tuesday to talk about releasing a statement to put pressure on the pl, but Drastically decided to call the whole thing off, and lose £17m. Or, this is the pressure but turned up to 11. We’ve had talk of other clubs interfering, pl moving goalposts, asking for KSA to be named as directors rather than pif...at the very least it sets up for an epic court case in which the pl will lose, though I think what may come out of this is lots of phone calls between parties including our government asking wtf are the pl playing at. Wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley is in on it to. Keeps the £17m and fresh terms are agreed.

Either way A shitshow has just been unleashed and it’s all firmly at the door of the PL, but I don’t think it’s over, certainly not for the pl anyway.

I want to believe that last paragraph but honestly not sure.

Eh, I thought the whole problem was the PL didn't want state involvement which this seems to contradict.

That  would make sense, that way they could ask them to do something about the piracy issues in KSA.

Oh right, aye.

Mind, there’s intense pressure and blame at the feet of the PL tonight. Apparently the buyers met on Tuesday to talk about releasing a statement to put pressure on the pl, but Drastically decided to call the whole thing off, and lose £17m. Or, this is the pressure but turned up to 11. We’ve had talk of other clubs interfering, pl moving goalposts, asking for KSA to be named as directors rather than pif...at the very least it sets up for an epic court case in which the pl will lose, though I think what may come out of this is lots of phone calls between parties including our government asking wtf are the pl playing at. Wouldn’t be surprised if Ashley is in on it to. Keeps the £17m and fresh terms are agreed.

Either way A shitshow has just been unleashed and it’s all firmly at the door of the PL, but I don’t think it’s over, certainly not for the pl anyway.

I think it's over. There'll be some noises for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks but then it'll just drift away.

The PL didn't actually make a decision and there's no time frame in the O&D test so I can't see what people could level at them.

Who knew that when we thought they wanted it legally water tight, it was to cover their own arses for when they allowed it to drift on indefinitely :lol:

I guess there is a small glimmer of hope that this is one big power play from PIF to put a huge amount of pressure on the PL to get their fingers out of their arses. The threat of legal action etc. Doubt we’ve heard the last of it.

this is the last important thing we've heard on this.

I guess there is a small glimmer of hope that this is one big power play from PIF to put a huge amount of pressure on the PL to get their fingers out of their arses. The threat of legal action etc. Doubt we’ve heard the last of it.

On what basis would they take legal action considering the PL craftily never actually rejected the bid?

curious to see if the premier league will have their own briefings in the press in the next few days, all we've heard so far is the Stavely and co camps view on things which while informative is only half the story. Anything from Ashleys pov is pointless as he appears to be a negligible to non factor in this failing

Everything they say will be a fucking lie.

It was well known from the start that they were only interested in protecting their clubs.

Everything they say will be a fucking lie trying to deflect blame.

I hope SA tell the U.K. government that there will be no more trade at all until this is approved.

Just what I've always wanted. My club used as a bargaining chip in arms deals.

Who gives an absolute fuck?

It’s already been said that this is more than just NUFC’s loss, but the city’s and regions.

Generations we have had to be the sacrificial lamb. Closing the coal mines because we need to move away from coal. Close the shipyards because jobs are needed in Portsmouth, Glasgow, then fucking China. Can’t invest in your region because theirs people elsewhere who need it. Eventually the government start investing in the North and the they change the North to be fucking Manchester, an area of the country which by any other nations map would be classed as the midlands. Even with the EU we lost money to Liverpool in a capital of culture bid, not because they deserved it, but because they needed it more apparently.

Absolute disgrace. On the Premier League isn’t the government, but it’s symptomatic of the attitude the country has always had to the region. It’s ok to fuck them over because they are up there in the corner out of the way and no one else can see just exactly what the fuck we’ve done.

On what basis would they take legal action considering the PL craftily never actually rejected the bid?

Taking 4 months to do a 1 month process could easily constitute as being wilfully negligent.

curious to see if the premier league will have their own briefings in the press in the next few days, all we've heard so far is the Stavely and co camps view on things which while informative is only half the story. Anything from Ashleys pov is pointless as he appears to be a negligible to non factor in this failing

Everything they say will be a f***ing lie.

It was well known from the start that they were only interested in protecting their clubs.

Everything they say will be a f***ing lie trying to deflect blame.

I hope SA tell the U.K. government that there will be no more trade at all until this is approved.

Who gives an absolute f***?

It’s already been said that this is more than just NUFC’s loss, but the city’s and regions.

Generations we have had to be the sacrificial lamb. Closing the coal mines because we need to move away from coal. Close the shipyards because jobs are needed in Portsmouth, Glasgow, then f***ing China. Can’t invest in your region because theirs people elsewhere who need it. Eventually the government start investing in the North and the they change the North to be f***ing Manchester, an area of the country which by any other nations map would be classed as the midlands. Even with the EU we lost money to Liverpool in a capital of culture bid, not because they deserved it, but because they needed it more apparently.

Absolute disgrace. On the Premier League isn’t the government, but it’s symptomatic of the attitude the country has always had to the region. It’s ok to f*** them over because they are up there in the corner out of the way and no one else can see just exactly what the f*** we’ve done.

I give a fuck mate, because those trade deals keep me in a job.

Everything they say will be a f***ing lie.

Everything they say will be a f***ing lie trying to deflect blame.

Who gives an absolute f***?

Generations we have had to be the sacrificial lamb. Closing the coal mines because we need to move away from coal. Close the shipyards because jobs are needed in Portsmouth, Glasgow, then f***ing China. Can’t invest in your region because theirs people elsewhere who need it. Eventually the government start investing in the North and the they change the North to be f***ing Manchester, an area of the country which by any other nations map would be classed as the midlands. Even with the EU we lost money to Liverpool in a capital of culture bid, not because they deserved it, but because they needed it more apparently.

Absolute disgrace. On the Premier League isn’t the government, but it’s symptomatic of the attitude the country has always had to the region. It’s ok to f*** them over because they are up there in the corner out of the way and no one else can see just exactly what the f*** we’ve done.

I give a fuck mate, because those trade deals keep me in a job.

If it came to that mate then Boris would be on the phone to Masters straight away. They guy would be ousted as fast as possible if he did not comply.

I don’t know man, I’m not a lawyer. But I’d imagine there’s grounds for legal action if they’ve repeatedly done all that’s asked of them and the goalposts have been continuously moved, eventually resulting in the collapse of the deal.

I’m clinging to that last tiny thread of hope anyway.

I think it's over. There'll be some noises for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks but then it'll just drift away.

The PL didn't actually make a decision and there's no time frame in the O&D test so I can't see what people could level at them.

Who knew that when we thought they wanted it legally water tight, it was to cover their own arses for when they allowed it to drift on indefinitely :lol:

You are probably right, but there’s a tiny flicker of hope that this has come as a real shock to the PL and it forces their hand. Government allowed project restart, they were under no obligation to, any hint of 2nd wave that’s football behind closed doors for months, maybe seasons or longer than really necessary. We need to pay for furlough, how about we start with super star athletes being taxed 80% of their wage. Wonder how long they’ll hang around the prem then. They’ll be members of the gov foaming tonight and will be making their feelings clear to masters if they haven’t already, It’s typical of this gov to deal in those level of threats imo.

Whether the gov steps in or not I’m a huge believer in that it’s always darkest before the dawn. We’ve not had a day as dark as this for some time, tomorrow will be a brighter day and hopefully something good comes out.

Taking 4 months to do a 1 month process could easily constitute as being wilfully negligent.

Not when there isn't a set time frame. Then they'd claim difficulties due to COVID-19, Project Restart etc. I have no legal knowledge at all but I can't see that there's anything to throw at them.

I don’t know man, I’m not a lawyer. But I’d imagine there’s grounds for legal action if they’ve repeatedly done all that’s asked of them and the goalposts have been continuously moved, eventually resulting in the collapse of the deal.

I would have about as much confidence in the courts to be impartial in a case where Saudis are bringing a case as I was that the PL would be in passing the takeover.

Especially if they have proof that at the start they were encouraged to apply and bid. They were told no issues, until bein started their shit, then they changed their tune. Even if it’s just to get the deposit back they’ve lost, the pl will be in court over this.

Can anyone give a breakdown of this? I don't mean copy & paste.

15KF4jq.jpg

So the issue is that PIF is not independent enough from the Saudi State?

While that is true, wouldn't the same apply to Manchester City and UAE? Don't really see how our situation is different from theirs.

Not when there isn't a set time frame. Then they'd claim difficulties due to COVID-19, Project Restart etc. I have no legal knowledge at all but I can't see that there's anything to throw at them.

They have already said that the pandemic and project restart did not affect the takeover process. Even if it did, they have publicly said it didn’t, and that would be used against them.

The buyers will no doubt have stacks of evidence to show that the process was going ahead as planned and that they cooperated and fulfilled the obligations.

This is my view as well. Just don't think there's anything concrete PIF can go for, the PL well knew this which is why they dragged it out without officially rejecting it.

I’ve got a real feeling there’s more to play out here. There’s a few things that really don’t add up and leave more questions than answers.

As much as Saggers has taken some abuse for what he’s said tonight, he was the first journo to break the Saudi interest back in January so he might have more knowledge on the matter than people are giving him credit for too. 

They have already said that the pandemic and project restart did not affect the takeover process. Even if it did, they have publicly said it didn’t, and that would be used against them.

The buyers will no doubt have stacks of evidence to show that the process was going ahead as planned and that they cooperated and fulfilled the obligations.

They never rejected it though. They could easily say, as has been suggested by GM, "Oh, we were just about to approve it when you withdrew from the bid"

I have every confidence that the PL have covered their arses well and truly.

Fuck George Caulkin. He’s shown he knows fuck all about this and is still trying to get clicks off his overly inflated reputation with nufc supporters.

He’s let us down here.

It’s the hope that kills isn’t it. Am utterly deflated by today’s events.