Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

For once, and I hate saying this, I dont think Ashley is the guilty party here. Sounds like he is hoping a deal can be resurrected.

I don't doubt that he still wants to sell. I do doubt that any other group would be willing to match his price, especially after this. They're (I'm trying to stop saying we're) fucked.

Those that think this isn't a well concocted ploy by the consortium and MASH are very naïve. This does not end here, absolutely not.

See you learnt your lesson :lol:

It's like trying to hold on to a relationship that both parties 'checked out' on years ago.

Those that think this isn't a well concocted ploy by the consortium and MASH are very naïve. This does not end here, absolutely not.

Aye, it’s just step one.

If this is step one, how long does the whole plan take? :lol:

I expect one year including legal proceedings, if needed.

For once, and I hate saying this, I dont think Ashley is the guilty party here. Sounds like he is hoping a deal can be resurrected.

I don't doubt that he still wants to sell. I do doubt that any other group would be willing to match his price, especially after this. They're (I'm trying to stop saying we're) f***ed.

That’s why they still want to do a deal. Ashley needs the money to save his baby SD and there won’t be a lot of buyers during Covid crisis.

Let’s see if the consortium can change its composition and reconstruct the deal. I do think there is some internal issues within the consortium which needs to be compromised.

I’d like Golfmag to expand on what he’s said because everything that’s coming out at the moment suggest that’s a load of bollocks. I still don’t get the bit where he’s saying the PL were on the brink of accepting it, convenient timing just as PIF pull the plug on it when they’ve had 17 twatting weeks to accept it. If they’d been more timely, then his claim that MA is moving the goalposts would have been a moot point. This is solely on the Premier League imo.

"We acknowledge yesterday’s statement" seems to say a lot without saying much

Yep, unlike last time when Ashley spat his dummy and declared he had ended negotiations as they were exhaustive, etc, this doesn't declare anything 'off' yet, so he's clearly still up for it.

#Clutching (again).

I’d like Golfmag to expand on what he’s said because everything that’s coming out at the moment suggest that’s a load of bollocks. I still don’t get the bit where he’s saying the PL were on the brink of accepting it, convenient timing just as PIF pull the plug on it when they’ve had 17 twatting weeks to accept it. If they’d been more timely, then his claim that MA is moving the goalposts would have been a moot point. This is solely on the Premier League imo.

My gut feeling based on what had been said from his info and what’s followed is for whatever reason pif have changed there mind. Maybe they’ve been required to bend too far and decided to pull the plug. It’s clear the other investors and Ashley were on board to sell.

The deal is dead as long as PIF are involved, but if Staveley and the Reubens find another party prepared to fill the void left by PIF with the same terms agreed with Ashley then perhaps something can be salvaged, but highly unlikely.

It hasn't helped with Staveley attacking the Premier League if she still wishes to buy Newcastle.

My gut feeling based on what had been said from his info and what’s followed is for whatever reason pif have changed there mind. Maybe they’ve been required to bend too far and decided to pull the plug. It’s clear the other investors and Ashley were on board to sell.

And that’s why I don’t believe that’s the case. He says the PL were just about to accept it and also suggests it’s down to Ashley. Had they made the call in a more acceptable time frame this probably wouldn’t have happened. What took 17 weeks for them to decide actually we were just about to accept it? Makes no sense to me.

Guest reefatoon

It’s just the little things, but just like when Sports Direct twitter page was getting hammered on every tweet, it looks like the Premier league is now getting the same treatment. Keep it up. I do enjoy things like that.

I guess the only reason the government would put pressure on PL now is the heavy investment to the city of Newcastle. That'd be a huge boost right now and is consistent with their attempts to get the country up and running again.

Agree with most of this. Just not sure how much the premier league is at fault and how much The bidders are.

Its a bit like the Keegan case as in constructive dismissal - the PL have engineered a situation where any self respecting bidder would walk away due to frustration

Fair play to the number of posters on here who predicted that only to be shot down.

I guess it’s proven to be massive naivety on my part but I just didn’t foresee an entity like the PIF walking away in response to something like that.

But, if what AS says is correct, the PL wanted KSA not PIF to be named as the majority director, which 'is impossible'. So with the PL refusing to approve or refuse them and with no timescale for any sort of decision, then the uncertainty going on just ends up harming the club and its ongoing plans.

If the PL haven't been made formally aware of the withdrawal yet, in theory the tests are still on going. Of course the headlines will have made it back to the PL, and perhaps this will force a dialogue with them asking what is happening. Who knows, perhaps a dialogue + adverse publicity will engineer a way through to suit all parties, and it could be back on.

#Clutching

I suspect the PLwanted the saudi state to be named as a director so they had a solid case to reject it on the basis of their failure to combat the tv piracy.  Clearly they couldn't pin that on PIF as a director.  Effectively the PLtried to maneuver the consortium to a position that gave them grounds to reject instead of accepting PIF as a director.

Exactly what they were doing, they were trying to get them to admit guilt to something they have never done.

Never been that much story writing from an authority to blame guilt since Brendan Dassey was sent to the police to have a friendly chat.

In terms of GM, we have a reasonable idea the information came from Richard Bevan who is no doubt on good terms with Masters. These things tends to be an old boys club after all.

Aye. You can interpret that GMs source is from PLs perspective. Obliviously is putting the blame on the other side.

I am sitting with AS though. Dragging 17 weeks is unexplanable. And the key is if the test is on the brink of being passed, just why don’t they announce it now? Just do it. We will all know who is holding up the deal in the end.

AS already stated that once PL passed the test, even now, the deal can wrapped up immediately. All parties involved agreed on this.

And today Lee Charnley acknowledged the statement which means Ashley’s stand is the same. They can do the deal at any time.

So obviously it’s GMs source that is bullshiting. I do trust GM though.

There's absolute zero chance of PIF ever proving that people not listed as directors won't have any control over the club. PL should have rejected weeks ago based on this.

By the same token this applies to Man City and Sheik Mansoor as well.  Who can say that MBS doesn't have the power to control the Sheffield United owner?

AS already stated that once PL passed the test, even now, the deal can wrapped up immediately. All parties involved agreed on this.

And today Lee Charnley acknowledged the statement which means Ashley’s stand is the same. They can do the deal at any time.

So obviously it’s GMs source that is bullshiting. I do trust GM though.

Or gms source is heavily biased towards the PL due to their connections, not expecting the lid to be blown off the way it has.

PL have been leaking things for weeks, gm may have even been used in this case.

This takeover isn't finished, it might be in a knife edge end game but it is absolutely not over yet.

Agreed. If nowt happens in the next 2 weeks and it just fizzles out then aye its done, but there's a reaction to be had by a few parties inside and outside of the deal. Let's see what comes next.

So, after all this, who are the EPL accountable to? Is there no legal recourse over a mess like this? I mean, I suppose the be all and end all is what's written in their fit and proper owner's test, but are they liable to anyone or anything to ensure that their test itself is fair and legal? Especially if they're making unprecedented demands. The whole saga around the Prem stinks of corruption, it's up there with Sep Blatter's lot at FIFA.

This takeover isn't finished, it might be in a knife edge end game but it is absolutely not over yet.

Come on now, its finished.  :lol:

Maybe in the original iteration, but it's not done. No way.