Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

AS may come back in with a revised bid at some point, can't say I'm really arsed about it now.

I can't attach myself to any positive in regards to nufc anymore, so if she does start again she better do it cloak and dagger because I can't be arsed.

Regards to PIF, I just don't think they're that arsed about investing in NUFC specifically and it's just been a headache for them tbh. They could easily achieve a similar vision in another top league without the hysteria and politics of dealing with PL and their UN like stance ffs :lol:

I do think the deal is not dead yet. The key is, unlike prior takeovers, this time Ashley do willing to sell and the buyer do willing to meet his asking price. They are on the same boat. Even if this got rejected as long as Staveley can come up a new deal the process can restart very quickly. That also probably explains why Staveley put no blame on Ashley and we also didn’t hear any bad words from Ashley against Staveley (Unlike last time).

They still can make a deal. The problem is how to get SA funding AND pass the O&D test.

That problem is the reason the deal is dead.

Aye. But this can be resolved.

1. Use public pressure to force PL to withdraw the ridiculous requirement. This is what they are doing.

2. Cut down PIF involvement so that they are no longer ultimate owner. As said this can be done as long as Reuben is willing to.

Wonder why Ashley is so quiet, he's not had anything leaked from his side or said anything right?

I guess probably he is enjoying his vacation in US.

Seriously I think he can do nothing here, other than lowering his asking price to cut down PIF involvement, which he won’t.

As suggested by someone here, the most viable option now is to cut down PIF involvement so that SA no longer required to be listed as director and subject to test. The key is in fact Reuben has the ability to do it. The question is whether he will do it now and why he didn’t do it at first place.

Well, theory was he was desperate for his £300m and if what Staveley says is true he's not to blame this time. You'd think he might have something to say about it.

I admit I am over optimistic this time because probably that’s the first time I know Ashley and the buyer are on the same boat. I genuinely think the deal could still happen (but need external help).

I wanted this deal as much as anyone but Saudi Arabia are hardly faultless here.

Saudi Arabia pirating the Premier League's biggest oversea broadcaster.

PL sending complaints to the wrong email address. Seriously?

During the process they even banned BeIn.  Helping no-one.

I wish they sort their relationship out.  And try again with buying hs.  Them having a healthy relationship with Qatar (at least whilst they hold PL rights) is the way to go.

I do think the deal is not dead yet. The key is, unlike prior takeovers, this time Ashley do willing to sell and the buyer do willing to meet his asking price. They are on the same boat. Even if this got rejected as long as Staveley can come up a new deal the process can restart very quickly. That also probably explains why Staveley put no blame on Ashley and we also didn’t hear any bad words from Ashley against Staveley (Unlike last time).

They still can make a deal. The problem is how to get SA funding AND pass the O&D test.

1. Use public pressure to force PL to withdraw the ridiculous requirement. This is what they are doing.

2. Cut down PIF involvement so that they are no longer ultimate owner. As said this can be done as long as Reuben is willing to.

I can win the lottery, but doesn't mean it's likely.

1. The PL won't care about "public pressure" from a number of NUFC fans. Why would they?

2. There was a reason they looked for investment from other parties. It's not going to happen with just AS and the Ruebens.

I wanted this deal as much as anyone but Saudi Arabia are hardly faultless here.

I wish they sort their relationship out.  And try again with buying hs.  Them having a healthy relationship with Qatar (at least whilst they hold PL rights) is the way to go.

I'm pretty certain you're asking for the impossible here, just so NUFC can have a takeover.

I love this forum :)

One poster - 'The deal is still alive, it can still happen, Amanda is just playing the ultimate game of brinkmanship'

Next poster - 'The deal is dead, I'm burning my season ticket and I'm off to support Mongolian Yak polo'

It used to be awesome.

Will be a desert with tumbleweeds by the time the league restarts

I'm pretty certain you're asking for the impossible here, just so NUFC can have a takeover.

Exactly. 

But can't help but feel that is the only way around it all.

Reckon we have more chance of Qatar taking us over just to spite SA.

Clutching at straws but whilst the deal was on the table NDAs were also in play. I think it’s telling that individuals from the consortium then also came out and some of what has gone on has now been disclosed. It may well be a play which sees this deal still go through as I’m sure there may well be some interventions to the PL now and maybe, just maybe we will see this go through.....

I can win the lottery, but doesn't mean it's likely.

1. The PL won't care about "public pressure" from a number of NUFC fans. Why would they?

2. There was a reason they looked for investment from other parties. It's not going to happen with just AS and the Ruebens.

1. Well I don’t think it is impossible. No harm to try. And as I said this requirement is unfair, as clear as fuck. If the PL bows down to the public pressure, fine. If not, reconstruct the deal.

2. Yea but what I get from ASs interview is PL is asking to put SA as director because “the involvement of SA on PIF and in-turn PIF on the club is too significant”. Which is the composition of the 300m. If report is correct PIF is funding 80% of the amount (I.e. 240m) and thus they will be the majority shareholder.  That also means as long as Reuben is willing to increase his shares, up to the point where he is the majority shareholder, the requirement might be lifted.

In fact I wonder what would happen if the club changes their composition of shareholders in the future, say Reuben sold 20% of his shares back to PIF. Does this constitute as a takeover and subject to O&D test again?

Staveley says its the premier league, golfmag says its ashley, matt slater in the athletic says its the piracy and that they were never going to pass. Mountain upon mountain of bullshit and agenda led spin.

I don't think it is.

The problem isn't passing the test. There is no legitimate reason for it not to be passed, particularly now that the WTO report has been appealed. The problem is that the PL have been refusing to make any decision. They’ve probably been doing that because they didn't want to approve it but couldn't find a legitimate way to refuse.

I don't think it is.

The problem isn't passing the test. There is no legitimate reason for it not to be passed, particularly now that the WTO report has been appealed. The problem is that the PL have been refusing to make any decision. They’ve probably been doing that because they didn't want to approve it but couldn't find a legitimate way to refuse.

Hence why the problem is passing the test. Because the people who need to stamp "PASS" refuse to do so.

Oh good, I'm awake.

I feel much worse this morning than I was expecting to. I had this weird feeling yesterday like a weight had been lifted because a decision had been made either way. I was generally ok about everything.

Woke up this morning and I feel completely deflated.

Agree with the overriding of powerlessness. It looks like we can't even blame Ashley here. Worst part about if for me is the other clubs lobbying against it to protect their own interests, and dampen any competition.

The O&D test was formulated to protect member clubs from having sheisters and charlatans taking control and destroying a club. That is why the only failures to date have ever been financial. And why we have a ton of owners with dubious moral backgrounds, including quasi-state ownership. Our buyer had funds, a detailed business plan, and unquestionably would have improved the club, the region, and the longer term prospects for fans.  If Norge (the Norwegian state investment vehicle) has decided to invest in a football club, not a chance that the PL would have asked the country of Norway to be a director - it is completely absurd to anyone who has even the vaguest knowledge of how business works.

It is a deliberate case of the PL bending to pressure from clubs who might that little bit less likely to get a CL spot. I'm angry now, and I hope that the PL, and football in general lose out over this.  I hope the next ME TV deal is for pennies, because by far the largest market (Saudi) refuse to let anyone else broadcast. I hope BeOut suddenly re-appear,  with public circulation of high quality streaming links. And I hope the Saudis significantly reduce investment into the UK. Madness we can sell them all sorts of arms to keep our less than savoury industries afloat, but they cannot own a football club. which would dare to complete with the established order.

And what I would really like to see, and this will be largely symbolic, is for NUFC fans to actually do something about it. Boycotts won't work, too may free tickets and people to fill the spaces. But all fans turning their back on play, every game, home and away, at the same point in every game, would be amazing, and very apt given the fact that the PL have turned their back on NUFC. NUFC Flags hammering home the corrupt nature of the PL. Every game, so viewers world-wide can see that we do not view the PL as a sporting competition, it is a cash cow for a small elite bunch of clubs. 

You don't make a public announcement that you are pulling out as a pressure tactic, that's nuclear

When time is important, course you do. There literally isn’t any more they can do now, so either way they know the answer. Pl either take the pressure and stay strong and it’s over, or something gives and it goes through. Good news is if it’s not over today, one way or another it’s done in the next couple of weeks and everyone can move on.

Remember this isn’t the buyers walking away because they’ve changed their minds, or even the seller deciding to keep it, it’s down to the pl doing fuck all for months and getting away with it. They aren’t getting away with it any more, it’s all out in the open, and if the pl still maintain their silence and stance I imagine more ammo will be fired from the buyers side and more accusations laid at their door. Eventually they will walk away if not approved, but that not right now imo, it is end game though.

I don't think it is.

Hence why the problem is passing the test. Because the people who need to stamp "PASS" refuse to do so.

And this really could be a final play to force their hand.