Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Caulkin reckons it coming back on the table would be ‘very difficult’

Has Caulkin got owt right yet re. this takeover?

How hard is it to understand he can only report on what he’s told. Especially by Staveley

I already understood it and my question still remains.

Has he made any predictions to get right or wrong. He’s only reported what he’s been told. You clearly don’t understand

I do understand.

He's informed by the buyers. He reports what the buyers say.

Buyers got it wrong and thus Caulkin got it wrong. So, has Caulkin got anything right re. this takeover?

Was his comment about it being "very difficult" to get this deal back on the table a personal opinion or something he's been informed of from the buyers?

I believe personal opinion based on what he’s told

He's the best journalist out there. Just reporting what he's told.

Unfortunately it's a low bar. A really proper good journalist wouldn't rely on a single source, or would at least do the leg work investigating what his source had told him. George doesn't, he reports what he's told to report. It's a shame he's been reporting what we wanted to hear, but surely he should have been banging on the Reubens door to confirm, or talking to someone from PIF too. Not too say he hasn't been trying, but just spouting whatever Staveley has told him is pretty weak, and not too different to tabloids.

Unfortunately it's a low bar. A really proper good journalist wouldn't rely on a single source, or would at least do the leg work investigating what his source had told him. George doesn't, he reports what he's told to report. It's a shame he's been reporting what we wanted to hear, but surely he should have been banging on the Reubens door to confirm, or talking to someone from PIF too. Not too say he hasn't been trying, but just spouting whatever Staveley has told him is pretty weak, and not too different to tabloids.

That's bollocks tbf. He reported what he was being told, and said as much. He didn't make any bold predictions either way. It's not the job of every journalist to analyse the whole deal at all points.

How do you know that this hasn’t happened?

How do you know that this hasn’t happened?

I don't which is why i said 'not that he hasn't been trying'

But considering how many time's he's been tweeted or questioned, all he would have had to do was say 'i spoke to Jamie/Al Rumyann, and they couldn't comment', or 'i've tried to speak to other investors without success'. I've not seen or heard him say anything that hasn't come from Staveley

That's bollocks tbf. He reported what he was being told, and said as much. He didn't make any bold predictions either way. It's not the job of every journalist to analyse the whole deal at all points.

Why's it Bollocks? Never said anything about predictions at all or analysing the details of a deal. Just saying that a journalist should follow up on what they're being told is true before reporting it.

If i were a journalist and was told from a trusted source that Donald Trump was actually a replicant from the future, I think i'd want first hand confirmation or evidence from second source before putting it in my paper.

Why's it Bollocks? Never said anything about predictions at all or analysing the details of a deal. Just saying that a journalist should follow up on what they're being told is true before reporting it

Follow up with who? He was talking to someone directly involved in it! You want him to speak to someone less in the know?

As with Staveley's previous takeover attempt, Caulkin seems to have some exclusive access to her.

On the one hand, he gets information and access that the others don't have. On the other hand, that information can be propaganda as much as hard facts.

Staveley is scapegoating the Premier League and two clubs in particular. But it looks like the issue of the Saudi government's complicity with BeOut has never been completely resolved. If the Saudis were complicit and they have a controlling interest in our club, then that's a big problem. PIF have attempted to circumvent that by portraying themselves as an independent company, but that hasn't been convincing. That's not to mention the human rights issue, of course.

My desire to see my club in the hands of the seriously rich tended to be stronger than my willingness to face up to the reality of those issues. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Why's it Bollocks? Never said anything about predictions at all or analysing the details of a deal. Just saying that a journalist should follow up on what they're being told is true before reporting it

Follow up with who? He was talking to someone directly involved in it! You want him to speak to someone less in the know?

Am I just being obtuse or something here? All he would have had to say is 'i attempted to confirm with Rueben/PIF/Masters/PL/Ashley but couldn't get a comment'. That would have shown at least that he wasn't just taking Staveleys word for it

Why's it Bollocks? Never said anything about predictions at all or analysing the details of a deal. Just saying that a journalist should follow up on what they're being told is true before reporting it.

If i were a journalist and was told from a trusted source that Donald Trump was actually a replicant from the future, I think i'd want first hand confirmation or evidence from second source before putting it in my paper.

Not really. If I was a journalist and say, someone close to Joe Biden told me that, of course I'd report it. There's nothing wrong with reporting what a source tells you without delivering an opinion on it whether you think its ridiculous or not.

All caulkin has ever said is the buyers said they were told it was unofficially getting waved thru (something staveley again says in her interview)  and that the buyers were confident.

Don’t get how he’s getting shit about it tbh

I had a roundabout connection that was close to the Reubens and about 3 times throughout the process they never steered off course of what was being reported by George. For what it's worth.

As with Staveley's previous takeover attempt, Caulkin seems to have some exclusive access to her.

On the one hand, he gets information and access that the others don't have. On the other hand, that information can be propaganda as much as hard facts.

Staveley is scapegoating the Premier League and two clubs in particular. But it looks like the issue of the Saudi government's complicity with BeOut has never been completely resolved. If the Saudis were complicit and they have a controlling interest in our club, then that's a big problem. PIF have attempted to circumvent that by portraying themselves as an independent company, but that hasn't been convincing. That's not to mention the human rights issue, of course.

My desire to see my club in the hands of the seriously rich tended to be stronger than my willingness to face up to the reality of those issues. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Cronky gets my point!

So, supposedly PIF pulls out which surprises everybody.  They issue a very vanilla statement, pointing out both the delay and covid concerns.  obviously they don't want to burn any bridges...even slightly.  AS, emotional, makes veiled accusations about the PL.  Good cop, bad cop?

It may indicate that AS as well as RB may be positioning for a lawsuit or at least an inquiry into the proceedings.

It makes no sense to me, if true, that questions for the buyers had to be routed through MA.  Once MA receives a 350M bid what is his incentive to pass information efficiently?  It's in his interest to help drag things out.

Is it customary for other PL clubs to be able to have input on prospective owners?

Is it customary for other outside entities to have input on the process?

I don't think the PL will issue any statement.  They don't have to.  Therefore, I believe that someone will try to make the PL's process regarding PIF public.

Not really. If I was a journalist and say, someone close to Joe Biden told me that, of course I'd report it. There's nothing wrong with reporting what a source tells you without delivering an opinion on it whether you think its ridiculous or not.

That's not really being a journalist then is it? Caulkin's been Staveley's stenographer throughout this ordeal and he's been made to look an absolute mug, for the second time. Not once has he provided any sort of analysis or critique of what he's been fed or its reliability, he's just unthinkingly regurgitated it at every opportunity. It's pathetic to be honest.

So, supposedly PIF pulls out which surprises everybody.  They issue a very vanilla statement, pointing out both the delay and covid concerns.  obviously they don't want to burn any bridges...even slightly.  AS, emotional, makes veiled accusations about the PL.  Good cop, bad cop?

It may indicate that AS as well as RB may be positioning for a lawsuit or at least an inquiry into the proceedings.

It makes no sense to me, if true, that questions for the buyers had to be routed through MA.  Once MA receives a 350M bid what is his incentive to pass information efficiently?  It's in his interest to help drag things out.

Is it customary for other PL clubs to be able to have input on prospective owners?

Is it customary for other outside entities to have input on the process?

I don't think the PL will issue any statement.  They don't have to.  Therefore, I believe that someone will try to make the PL's process regarding PIF public.

I'm amazed that the process allows other clubs to influence the decision, but not in the least surprised that they have (if that makes sense).

Maybe Ashley was right, and it is impossible to compete with the top 6.

Yes and you'd be laughed out of the place when it was found he wasn't a replicant, and Joe Biden had fed you a line.

It's nothing to do with opinion. I don't know Georges opinion. Yes he has reported what he has been told, but it is his responsibility to at least try and check what he is reporting is true. He may well have tried, but hasn't given any evidence he has.

I do know that if I was writing articles based on a single source which turned out to be wrong, I wouldn't be employed as a serious journalist for too long and would probably end up at The Sun, or the National Enquirer

That's not really being a journalist then is it? Caulkin's been Staveley's stenographer throughout this ordeal and he's been made to look an absolute mug, for the second time. Not once has he provided any sort of analysis or critique of what he's been fed or its reliability, he's just unthinkingly regurgitated it at every opportunity. It's pathetic to be honest.

Penn gets it too

so for Penn and Glen Johnson over here - you're aiming your frustrations at a journalist who had a line into what was likely our future CEO under new ownership and was telling us whatever he was told - and again, you're blaming him. You're having a go at him. You're wasting your precious time trying to say he should have dug even further into this.

Struggle to see how this can be a negotiating tactic when the PL (apparently) openly admitted to Staveley they were happy to just let the takeover sit in limbo without rejecting or passing it. This is one of the greatest gifts they could give the PL surely because it allows them to continue doing exactly what they were doing before :lol: