Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

I literally cannot believe we should have been taken over on tuesday.  What a day that would have been fucking premier league.  Why does nothing ever go to bastard plan for us.

This is what I was just thinking.  I wish I'd never fucking heard another thing about it.  Now I'm just gutted/pissed off all over again.

I think I must have missed the part about it being Tuesday specifically but the information that's come out this week has been so confusing, i'm not yet convinced it was ever genuinely close.

EhloTTgWkAAt4hr?format=jpg&name=small

So they are not following the process that is set out.  Its clear the PL are trying to keep this in a sort of no mans land so they the consortium cant appeal (as a decision has not been made).  However their process basically says, if information isn't provide then the PL has to decide on the information provided.

Absolutely clear. The PL have been getting away with brushing this under the carpet, they are clearly not acting in accordance with their own rules.

The vague calls for 'transparency' are easy for the PL to bat away and ignore, but this is something clear and unequivocal that the PL shouldn't be able to hide from.

So why aren't any of the local journalists flagging this and pushing and pushing the PL to respond.  There too busy regurgitating shit from twitter as its an easy living thats why!

Exactly, the PL have been given far too much of an easy ride on this from journalists, supporters groups and MPs. What they have said about the process (not being able to make a decision until they've received a declaration from another entity) seems to have just been accepted without scrutiny or question. Anyone who actually takes the time to read through the rule on the O&D test could see that they've blatantly disregarded the proper process.

So they are not following the process that is set out.  Its clear the PL are trying to keep this in a sort of no mans land so they the consortium cant appeal (as a decision has not been made).  However their process basically says, if information isn't provide then the PL has to decide on the information provided.

Absolutely clear. The PL have been getting away with brushing this under the carpet, they are clearly not acting in accordance with their own rules.

The vague calls for 'transparency' are easy for the PL to bat away and ignore, but this is something clear and unequivocal that the PL shouldn't be able to hide from.

So why aren't any of the local journalists flagging this and pushing and pushing the PL to respond.  There too busy regurgitating shit from twitter as its an easy living thats why!

Exactly, the PL have been given far too much of an easy ride on this from journalists, supporters groups and MPs. What they have said about the process (not being able to make a decision until they've received a declaration from another entity) seems to have just been accepted without scrutiny or question. Anyone who actually takes the time to read through the rule on the O&D test could see that they've blatantly disregarded the proper process.

True--the PL should have given the F.6 notice. Unfortunately, though, it wouldn't help the transaction go through, as the PL would very likely prevail on any appeal of that point (assuming KSA/MBS/etc. haven't given declarations).

So why aren't any of the local journalists flagging this and pushing and pushing the PL to respond.  There too busy regurgitating s*** from twitter as its an easy living thats why!

True--the PL should have given the F.6 notice. Unfortunately, though, it wouldn't help the transaction go through, as the PL would very likely prevail on any appeal of that point (assuming KSA/MBS/etc. haven't given declarations).

Why would they, we’ve had football law and even Qatari’s accept PIF are separate entity amongst others. The point being they should have right to appeal, and if it goes to CAS or high court the appeal will be based on the whole decision, not one aspect like the PL are trying to rail road them into.

Maybe, but it would be better than the limbo we're in.

Also, every legal opinion I've seen on the matter has been that PIF are legally separate and independent from the Saudi state. The appeal process, whilst still a PL process, would at least have a legally qualified chairman.

There must be a reason why the PL are so reluctant to make a formal decision. We as supporters should be doing everything we can to make it as uncomfortable as possible for them to avoid making that decision.

Guest Cheesy Beans

If the PL haven’t followed their own rules, they’d be wide open for legal action even without making a decision.

They will have a loophole or something, there is no way it’d be as simple as is being made out on here.

The only way this is resolved is if enough pressure (legal, Government, media, fan) is applied to the PL and they’re backed into a corner. There needs to be an organised campaign against them to get it resolved.

If the PL haven’t followed their own rules, they’d be wide open for legal action even without making a decision.

They will have a loophole or something, there is no way it’d be as simple as is being made out on here.

The only way this is resolved is if enough pressure (legal, Government, media, fan) is applied to the PL and they’re backed into a corner. There needs to be an organised campaign against them to get it resolved.

Exactly step forward your friends at NUST who seem to have given up and gone on holiday.

Also, every legal opinion I've seen on the matter has been that PIF are legally separate and independent from the Saudi state. The appeal process, whilst still a PL process, would at least have a legally qualified chairman.

Can you link a few of these legal opinions? I know the guy the NUST hired to write to the Premier League attempted to make that argument, haven't seen any others?

Can you link a few of these legal opinions? I know the guy the NUST hired to write to the Premier League attempted to make that argument, haven't seen any others?

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/newcastle-united-fc-takeover-and-the-premier-leagues-owners-and-directors-test

You doing much this weekend?

There must be a reason why the PL are so reluctant to make a formal decision. We as supporters should be doing everything we can to make it as uncomfortable as possible for them to avoid making that decision.

Well, that's precisely why the PL are trying every trick in the book to get PIF to admit they are in fact the Saudi state. They know fine well that if they use the same criteria they did to pass Abu Dhabi City, then they would have to allow Newcastle to step up into the hallowed arena where the big boys play. Other clubs are lining up to poke Masters in the bum with pointy sticks to ensure that is not allowed to happen.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Exactly step forward your friends at NUST who seem to have given up and gone on holiday.

I’m completely out of order on that, apparently.

Can you like a few of these legal opinions? I know the guy the NUST hired to write to the Premier League attempted to make that argument, haven't seen any others?

You'll get the links if you are prepared to offer an opinion as to why you think the PL haven't simply rejected it if it's as cut and dried as you say.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw.

I know by corperate law and on paper it may be true but that is one of those things I have a very hard time accepting when its the public investment fund of Saudi Arabia, its in the fucking name. It doesn't exist without the Saudi State so how the hell can any corporate bullshit classify them as separate

I felt as though I'd almost got over this whole saga and accepted that football can take a flying fuck.

And then this comes along and reminds me of what could've been and it's still as galling as the first time.

Really quite sickening. Nevermind always next year's takeover stories lads.

I’m completely out of order on that, apparently.

Which one of you two was Godzilla on here?

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/newcastle-united-fc-takeover-and-the-premier-leagues-owners-and-directors-test

That is the NUST guy.

But all he offers is:

"∆ On 2 June 2020 Qatari- and Saudi- based lawyers provided confirmation to this author that KSA PIF is a separate legal entity."

Which is a) a worthless and vague piece of information and b) tells us nothing about the independence of the PIF, which is the crux of the matter. No-one who wasn't under the pay or the influence of the Saudis would ever try and make the argument that the PIF is operationally independent of the government of KSA.

There's no loophole as far as I can see, the process is really clearly drafted.

I can't be arsed to find all of the individual posts but heard a neat summary from a solicitor (whose partner is a barrister and, together with her, gave the same view in detail when the WTO report came out)

https://twitter.com/RedRoseMichelle/status/1303807889019207680

That is the NUST guy.

But all he offers is:

"∆ On 2 June 2020 Qatari- and Saudi- based lawyers provided confirmation to this author that KSA PIF is a separate legal entity."

Which is a) a worthless and vague piece of information and b) tells us nothing about the independence of the PIF, which is the crux of the matter. No-one who wasn't under the pay or the influence of the Saudis would ever try and make the argument that the PIF is operationally independent of the government of KSA.

Do you have to hand, the information (from the Qatar and Saudi lawyers) that he did?

That is the NUST guy.

But all he offers is:

You have a different opinion Luke, fine. The PL has a different opinion, fine. What is not fine is the PL holding the club and supporters in limbo by point blank refusing to make a formal decision on that basis.

I can't be arsed to find all of the individual posts but heard a neat summary from a solicitor (whose partner is a barrister and, together with her, gave the same view in detail when the WTO report came out)

https://twitter.com/RedRoseMichelle/status/1303807889019207680

Oh.

I'm astonished that she still has the cheek to be passing comment on this considering she and her melt boyfriend have embarassed themselves at every turn for the past 6 months.

And I know I'm nutting a brick wall here but for the record, the WTO passed absolutely no comment on the relationship between the PIF and the government of KSA. So if someone is telling you otherwise (like this Shell clown), they're either consciously or unconsiously bullsitting you.