Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

Have the premier league broken their rules by speaking out about the takeover?  They aren't allowed to comment, they have said this multiple times.

Nah they’ve been able to explain that the produced statements have allowed them to speak

Can the government force them to either "Reject or Approve" rather than just sit on their hands ?

It definitely isn't right that the PL can just sit and do nothing and get away with it.

Should just list them as a terrorist organisation then they can do whatever they like.  Could have tanks outside of the PL headquarters then.

EhloTTgWkAAt4hr?format=jpg&name=small

So they are not following the process that is set out.  Its clear the PL are trying to keep this in a sort of no mans land so they the consortium cant appeal (as a decision has not been made).  However their process basically says, if information isn't provide then the PL has to decide on the information provided.

Completely f***ing amateurish, isn't it?  Any fit and proper Fit and Proper test would clearly fail PIF, but they don't have one, partly because it would fail half the owners in the league.  We've kicked off and said they've rejected it, presumably because they've looked at what we've given them and said it's not good enough to pass the test.  But because saying that isn't technically the same as failing us, they've denied it.  So we say "Oh, you've not rejected it? So we'll just go ahead then?"  And the response is "noooo, you can't do that."

Fail them on which grounds? The purpose of the test as far as I recall was to ensure the financial stability of the club is paramount. It’s for this reason not passing it is so controversial.

The test isn’t a moral one.

Just seen an extract posted on Twitter from the O&T test, and there is a section that states a director can be disqualified if required information isn't submitted (or words to that effect). The PL claim they are/have been asking for information that isn't forthcoming, so surely that gives them the grounds the disqualify PIF/The consortium and reject the takeover, if they indeed want to follow their own rules?

Doesn't that come back to the issue of if MBS calls the shots?  They ask for info on the owner, we give them stuff about assorted PIF goons, they roll their eyes and say "No, the owner"

There’s no goons on the PIF, all upstanding chaps.

For those who knock Caulkin, he’s been pretty on the money since version 1.0 failed. He said the next statement would come from Newcastle even though none of us knew what that meant at the time, and he also said it was down to political/govt intervention.

All spot on and exactly where it’s still at, the only difference is Ashley has flew off the handle at latest pressure/docs not having desired effect.

The fact there has been no announcement from PCP/PIF suggest the fight goes on behind the scenes. The govt notifying Masters there’ll be no fans all season unless he approves, may do the trick.

Completely f***ing amateurish, isn't it?  Any fit and proper Fit and Proper test would clearly fail PIF, but they don't have one, partly because it would fail half the owners in the league.  We've kicked off and said they've rejected it, presumably because they've looked at what we've given them and said it's not good enough to pass the test.  But because saying that isn't technically the same as failing us, they've denied it.  So we say "Oh, you've not rejected it? So we'll just go ahead then?"  And the response is "noooo, you can't do that."

Fail them on which grounds? The purpose of the test as far as I recall was to ensure the financial stability of the club is paramount. It’s for this reason not passing it is so controversial.

The test isn’t a moral one.

Just seen an extract posted on Twitter from the O&T test, and there is a section that states a director can be disqualified if required information isn't submitted (or words to that effect). The PL claim they are/have been asking for information that isn't forthcoming, so surely that gives them the grounds the disqualify PIF/The consortium and reject the takeover, if they indeed want to follow their own rules?

Doesn't that come back to the issue of if MBS calls the shots?  They ask for info on the owner, we give them stuff about assorted PIF goons, they roll their eyes and say "No, the owner"

Yep, that’s the essence of it.

And they will never put mbs forward for a test

Masters and co. probably think allowing Man City run riot with state backed funding was has shown they are willing to allow investment in the north. NUFC is probably a bit too close to Scotland to qualify as England proper.

For those who knock Caulkin, he’s been pretty on the money since version 1.0 failed. He said the next statement would come from Newcastle even though none of us knew what that meant at the time, and he also said it was down to political/govt intervention.

All spot on and exactly where it’s still at, the only difference is Ashley has flew off the handle at latest pressure/docs not having desired effect.

The fact there has been no announcement from PCP/PIF suggest the fight goes on behind the scenes. The govt notifying Masters there’ll be no fans all season unless he approves, may do the trick.

I agree. The only thing that is niggling me is when Caulkin is saying that they all felt it was going to be passed by the PL this week? I would love to know where that optimism comes from because it seems clear that the PL do not want to pass it.

I agree. The only thing that is niggling me is when Caulkin is saying that they all felt it was going to be passed by the PL this week? I would love to know where that optimism comes from because it seems clear that the PL do not want to pass it.

If the Government pressure is legit, it probably came from that.

I’m pretty sure the other big boys don’t want any more competition mind.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Spurs and Liverpool hinted at a European Super league during all of this.

Sources at other top-flight clubs have told The Times that Newcastle’s claim accusing Richard Masters, the league’s chief executive, of not acting appropriately during the takeover process has caused considerable anger.

The Premier League said yesterday that it was “disappointed and surprised” by Newcastle’s statement and that it is “incorrect to suggest these decisions were taken by any individual” and were “agreed unanimously”. One chairman said Newcastle’s decision to accuse Masters was “outrageous and potentially defamatory”.

From today's Times, if anyone was in any doubt that Masters is the voice of the big boy PL clubs.

Guest Cheesy Beans

The optimism is baffling from the consortium. They must be getting positive vibes from somewhere though. It's all so weird.

Maybe that’s why they’ve highlighted Masters; he’s given positive vibes/assurances and then ran off and backtracked.

The optimism is baffling from the consortium. They must be getting positive vibes from somewhere though. It's all so weird.

Probably from the government. The government that responds to every failed Covid or Brexit scheme with an even more ambitious scheme they're also incredibly and unrealistically optimistic about.

Probably from the government. The government that responds to every failed Covid or Brexit scheme with an even more ambitious scheme they're also incredibly and unrealistically optimistic about.

Sounds familiar  :laugh2:

If the Government pressure is legit, it probably came from that.

I do believe the Government pressure is legit but why would you have any optimism unless it was from the PL. Really naive if they've assumed it's all sorted because the Government is involved.

As other say, it's all just so weird.

Keep thinking to myself, why don't they just bugger off and create a proxy company and come back whiter than white next year.

But then would that suit what KSA are trying to do here? No positive press(hopefully) being attributed to KSA, no sportswashing.

Keep thinking to myself, why don't they just bugger off and create a proxy company and come back whiter than white next year.

But then would that suit what KSA are trying to do here? No positive press(hopefully) being attributed to KSA, no sportswashing.

Well they certainly aren't getting much positive press out of trying to buy us at the moment :)

Well that's what I'm thinking too. If they want to sports wash, maybe they could advertise in the ground or all over the investment they're going to put into the region.