Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

This is obviously going to be framed as the only way to save the football pyramid and any of the outside 11 not on board will be painted as the villains in not wanting to "save the EFL"

It is great for most League 1 and 2 clubs but with this in place I doubt another Bournemouth could happen for example?

This is obviously going to be framed as the only way to save the football pyramid and any of the outside 11 not on board will be painted as the villains in not wanting to "save the EFL"

It is great for most League 1 and 2 clubs but with this in place I doubt another Bournemouth could happen for example?

:thup: Basically holding everyone to ransom in one way or another.

Other clubs that don't vote it in are evil and don't want smaller clubs to get a cut of money the big boys were so generous to offer. While those smaller clubs are basically paid off, allowing them to survive, all while making them sign away their ability to ever compete with those oh-so-generous big boys if they had a chance in future.

Most American owners are flabbergasted by the concept that they can buy a club and the revenues are dependent on immediate and regular high performance to qualify for the Europe - while a particularly bad season could see them relegated and ejected entirely from the gravytrain. There is no security or stability in European sport which is terrible for an investor from a background of US sport.

In the US if you buy/set up a franchise that's you secure in the league for as long as you want. Stability for a business model and no risk. No need to finish high and qualify for continental competitions every year. Indeed you can throw a season altogether to get a better draft pick to build for a long-term team/brand.

This is quite clearly a move driven in a significant part by American ownership pushing for a model which allows more power for big clubs to and ensures stability. This solidifies their investment. It's not the only reason but the gradual takeover by US capitalists is clearly a significant part of this shift.

What is that based on, not calling you out, but I haven't seen it. I know they most likely prefer the american model with the draft picks, but I don't see this link. Stability for Liverpool/Man United? They aren't in danger of relegation any time soon. FWIW I would actually like a draft here, not that logistically its possbile really. I just see it as typical big club power grab.

It's not an American thing anymore. If you look at new sports, f.ex E-sports, all the big teams around the world wants a franchise style league to protect their own brand. That's the route they've gone at Riot games and Blizzard, and all the teams have fought for a similar arrangement in CS:GO the last couple of years as well, only partly managing to do so since Valve is not as hands on with the e-sports side of the game as other game developers. If football was a newer sport, this is definitely the way it would have gone too imo, sadly.

Who exactly are The Big Six anyway?

That can’t include Spurs or Arsenal..

The "Big Six" is a Sky Sports invention, that many people now seem to accept as 100% real.

There is an element of self-fulfilling reality in it, as "money generates money", but that is what it really is, a 'Sky Sports' invention . . . if repeated often enough it becomes real, etc.

I was thinking that but all the pieces aren't tied together and it's just the first proposal - ditching the special rights for 9 clubs doesn't impact on the financial plans for lower leagues.

Surely if the other clubs all object to the clear power play elements but agree the financial, the top 9 or whatever will look pretty bad if they then pull the plug as they're not getting their way.

It's funny how the top six didn't even finish in the top six last season. And, on the basis of the season so far, will absolutely not finish in the top six again this time around. As said above, it's pure fiction. A Sky invention.

You wouldn't know it but competition is actually rife in the Premier League. All the more reason for why this whole proposal is a load of absolute bollocks.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who the 'big 6' are when you look at revenue. They're all included in the 9 teams who've been in the league the longest anyway and there's nothing suggesting it's top 6 in the league.

Who exactly are The Big Six anyway?

That can’t include Spurs or Arsenal..

The "Big Six" is a Sky Sports invention, that many people now seem to accept as 100% real.

There is an element of self-fulfilling reality in it, as "money generates money", but that is what it really is, a 'Sky Sports' invention . . . if repeated often enough it becomes real, etc.

It's funny how the top six didn't even finish in the top six last season. And, on the basis of the season so far, will absolutely not finish in the top six again this time around. As said above, it's pure fiction. A Sky invention.

You wouldn't know it but competition is actually rife in the Premier League. All the more reason for why this whole proposal is a load of absolute bollocks.

The current Sky Big Six do not have to be in the 'Top Six' (those are two very different things) and if these corrupt proposals are taken seriously, then the current big six will suddenly become the 'permanent' Big Six.

What a sad joke this is.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out who the 'big 6' are when you look at revenue. They're all included in the 9 teams who've been in the league the longest anyway and there's nothing suggesting it's top 6 in the league.

It's still an invention, based at least partly on the false assumption that they're the best six teams in the league. It's almost a brand of its own at this point.

PROJECT BIG PICTURE PROPOSALS

7) New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income both overseas and domestic

This will be one of the main motivations for this whole proposal from the 'big six'.  They've been moaning for a while at the relatively equal distribution of TV money, which to anyone but them is a positive thing that makes the league more competitive.  But they want to be in Real/Barca's position where they're hoovering up all the TV revenue instead.

Mind it's absolutely crackers how we're a club, arguably moreso then any other, who have the 'sense of entitlement' accusation levelled at us. Meanwhile shite like this is going on in the background.

Absolutely no one club, competing in a league of 20, should have more rights or a heavier vote than a fellow competitor. If you've done well, performed well, invested well, shot up the table in recent years or created a dynasty - fair fucking play, well done, hats off, here's a well-earned and proportionate prize. But you shouldn't be rewarded to the extent that you have more of a vote than FC Shitbastards down the road who, in pursuit of the same goal, just appointed the wrong manager or wasted money on the wrong striker. How is that a proportionate prize?

You can’t be top 6 and in a relegation spot.

Aren’t we currently top 6?

They should make it so that whenever a rule change is proposed the top six at that exact moment in time gets the voting privileges. The ensuing carnage could be more entertaining than the football.

Mind it's absolutely crackers how we're a club, arguably moreso then any other, who have the accusation of entitlement levelled at us. Meanwhile shite like this is going on in the background.

Absolutely no one club, competing a league of 20, should have more rights or a heavier vote than a fellow competitor. If you've done well, performed well, invested well, shot up the table in recent years or created a dynasty - fair fucking play, well done, hats off, here's a well-earned and proportionate prize. But you shouldn't be rewarded to the extent that you have more of a vote than FC Shitbastards down the road who, in pursuit of the same goal, just appointed the wrong manager or wasted money on the wrong striker.

It's the football equivalent of billionaires whinging about the Government benefits for the poor while getting their tax cuts, grants and juicy Government contracts through their old Eton pals.

I was thinking that but all the pieces aren't tied together and it's just the first proposal - ditching the special rights for 9 clubs doesn't impact on the financial plans for lower leagues.

Surely if the other clubs all object to the clear power play elements but agree the financial, the top 9 or whatever will look pretty bad if they then pull the plug as they're not getting their way.

It probably is a case of putting the feelers out there and see what the general thoughts are with this.

My fear is that is will become the 11 v 70 and if that is the narrative then the "big 6" will get their way. I see the Fleetwood chairman has already come out in support of it and I can't blame him really. It helps them become more stable and lets face it Fleetwood getting to the top is very unlikely so he is in a no lose situation.

I guess clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich, Hull and most of the Championship whilst would welcome the financial support would be skeptical of the closed group at the top as the proposals would make it more difficult for the to reach the Premier League.

The loan proposals also concern me, surely that will lead to more stockpiling of young talent??

The Big Four/Six phrasing only got coined once we were safely away from the European spots. Wasn't a thing during the late 90's early 00's when we were regular european competitors.

I doubt we're very popular as a club, partially because we're so far north meaning more travelling when teams have to come here. The league would much rather Leeds or Sheffield was the most northerly point.