PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

But you just knew, that the old, 'we only want a club that tries' line would grow old fast with expectations, the qualifying for the UCL was great, but overachieving has given a proportion of the fanbase  heightened demands.

Some actually think we're a top four club now, some think we're a top six, personally I thought we'd build year on year, bit by bit, I'd put us in the mix with the top eight looking to build season on season, the emergence of Villa and Brighton, Chelsea now finding their feet.

Expectation needs to be more realistic, as you say, online the fanbase is as deluded as I can ever remember. 

the club have stated these ambitions year on year now. Saying publicly the goal is European football. That's the top 6 to be safe, usually 7. 8th is possible I think but that's not the clubs aim.

You don't bid £65m for a CB to be happy with 8th.

I personally disagree with our approach and having numerous £50m+ signings. If you're happy with 8th for this season, you probably try and sell a crown jewel. But seemingly the club have ambitious targets.

I take the club at what the owners say/do. Ashley wanted to run a skeleton PL club. In that context staying up midtable was a good result. PIF are talking best-in-class still and the CEO is talking about European football every season. The moves they try in the transfer market align with that. So I'm going to judge them on that curve. I think it's overly aggressive without the right tools. I'd take faster moves on infrastructure and a step backwards to try and be the RB of England or a super up Brighton. Put our money on younger kids and try and build over a couple of seasons.

But when you buy your Tonali's and try and get Guehi - you need immediate results.

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

But you just knew, that the old, 'we only want a club that tries' line would grow old fast with expectations, the qualifying for the UCL was great, but overachieving has given a proportion of the fanbase  heightened demands.

Some actually think we're a top four club now, some think we're a top six, personally I thought we'd build year on year, bit by bit, I'd put us in the mix with the top eight looking to build season on season, the emergence of Villa and Brighton, Chelsea now finding their feet.

Expectation needs to be more realistic, as you say, online the fanbase is as deluded as I can ever remember. 

Probably not the best idea for the Chairman to spout about being #1 then if you don't want the scrutiny when it looks to be withering away.

Can't win with you lot 😄 

I am happy we are trying to be best we can just like everyone said that all they care about.

Sucks if we didn't make it to number one but honestly just happy to enjoy my club again.

Edited by Slim

19 minutes ago, Sima said:

Probably not the best idea for the Chairman to spout about being #1 then if you don't want the scrutiny when it looks to be withering away.

I think he is talking about being #1 as our ultimate goal. For this season I think Eales has already said European qualification is the marker.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye but that doesn’t align with being happy to finish 8th either.  

I don't think anyone is happy to finish 8th but until PSR restrictions can be sidestepped there's not much we can do about it.

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

But that’s not what the club thinks.  The club thinks we should finish in Europe this season (and last).  

Would the club have thought last season was better had Man City beat Man Utd in the cup final ? We had exactly the same season either way.