PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

The thing is the EFL will only listen its own members. If they can sell all matches at 3pm as a global package for say £400m per year over the estimated £180m per year they get now, then they’ll do it. It also opens up the possibility of the Premier League doing their own deal with streaming providers and almost doubling their income to about £10bn a year, of which the EFL itself gets a share.

There has already been talk of the National League broadcasting games and I believe they have done some sort of trial on YouTube or are wanting to. All of a sudden you then have all the way down to steps 5/6 all broadcasting their games.

It will happen, it’s just a question of if they are going to have to use loopholes 1st to get there or not.

Maybe, but the EFL still have to get the FA to agree. If it does happen and the PL follow suit it'll be terrible for the EFL in the long term.

Just now, bobloblaw said:

It was an NFL rule, but has been dropped every year since 2014.

I lived through that. I still recall listening to a Vikings-Lions game on the radio in my bedroom in the mid 70's because it was blacked out. Local companies used to buy up remaining tickets and distribute them to charity so the games could be broadcast.

1 minute ago, McDog said:

I lived through that. I still recall listening to a Vikings-Lions game on the radio in my bedroom in the mid 70's because it was blacked out. Local companies used to buy up remaining tickets and distribute them to charity so the games could be broadcast.

I'm only 34, but remember missing out on a few Packers/Vikings games as a kid.

Used to happen to the Lions at the end of the season all the time when I was kid. I usually liked it because it meant I couldn't force myself to watch a shitty game.

Then I went to college just out of the blackout zone and watched them go 0-16 :lol:

58 minutes ago, CFlan said:

I definitely remember seeing it on the TV guide as I was scrolling but maybe that was some sort of Network v Local TV deal ?

You might have seen something along the lines of being in like Colorado but not being able to watch the main network (CBS, FOX, NBC) broadcast for the Patriots because the Broncos get local precedent. They still do that for sure. But you can watch every game with the NFL package now. 

The straight up blackout rule (for our English brothers, there had to be a certain % of tickets sold for it to be broadcast) went away a bit ago. 

Edited by cubaricho

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Aye. Sorry to say it but if I want to watch a Newcastle match then you’re doing that. You are either going to the match, watching on IPTV/pub, or sitting at home watching the scores on SSN. You aren’t going to go and see Hartlepool in League Two, or North Shields in the Northern League instead.

If you don’t scrap the rule, sooner or later the Premier League will just change the KO times of every game away from Saturday at 3pm, then you’ll get the EFL doing that themselves.

Whilst that is true for you and myself (since I don't go to lower league matches nor have any intention of doing so) that won't be the case for all

Removing the 3pm blackout seems inevitable but I recognise that it could impact lower league attendances up and down the country, and for that reason I understand why it's in place and a part of me wants it to remain that way 

2 hours ago, cubaricho said:

I’m a YouTube TV guy like Kanji. But my Peacock app has every match as far as I know? I could just watch it all through there. Although I prefer when the match is on USA where there is slightly less of a delay. 

That is not the case as far as I know. Unless something changed. The games that are on cable are not available on peacock to stream. Not sure on NBC games. 

It may well have changed, idk. It was like 3 weeks ago after all and my brain can’t be remembering that far back. Plus I often use dodgy means instead of peacock cos the app is dogshit and I like my British commentary (when possible). 

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

Aye I ditched cable and got peakcock and I still have to grab a stream for the 7:30 and 12:30 matches.

Really? They’re all always listed for me as far as I know. Maybe it’s as replays but I just have YouTube TV to watch the actual broadcast. 

29 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Really? They’re all always listed for me as far as I know. Maybe it’s as replays but I just have YouTube TV to watch the actual broadcast. 

No, he's right. It's replays so you can only watch some live on Peacock.

Essentially, the advice from the Advocate General is that UEFA/FIFA rules on new/additional competitions are compatable with EU Competition Laws.

So for Juve, Real etc - it's La Liga/CL or ESL and if you want both then UEFA etc are within their rights to sanction you in line with their own rules.