PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

It's still wildly annoying that I have to bounce between Peacock / TV (Sling in my instance) to find a game. Just let them all play in the Peacock app, I beg of you my evil Comcast overlords. Even if I have to register my Sling subscription to show I have USA Network.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

FWIW in the US you get a portion of games on NBC's networks available on TV (Comcast, Spectrum, etc) or Cloud-based TV providers (Fubu, Youtube TV, Hulu TV, etc) and then if you pay for the Peacock service you get the balance of PL matches. 

It's easily that simple, but I'm looking forward to the pro 3pm blackout to support lower league football matchgoing etc brigade to tell me how 100% correct they are and how the above is shit. 

Yes, fuck the lower leagues.  The cunts

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yes, fuck the lower leagues.  The cunts

It's not that, just feel for any fan of any football club that has broadcasted football matches blacked out at 3p if it's not picked up by one of your few channels when say - Fan A who used to live in Newcastle is now living in a different city and doesn't have the means or time to get to a match to see it live in the stadium. Particularly now with all this technology and on-demand access to internet based subscriptions and tv services.  Even for a lower league game that's literally being recorded by a camera and potentially beamed somewhere, the fact that it's not available to see live in 2022 or 2023 for that matter is maddening. 

Edited by Kanji

Just now, Kanji said:

It's not that, just feel for any fan of any football club that has broadcasted football matches blacked out at 3p if it's not picked up by one of your few channels when say - Fan A who used to live in Newcastle is now living in a different city and doesn't have the means or time to get to a match to see it live in the stadium. Particularly now with all this technology and on-demand access to internet based subscriptions and tv services. 

Yep, it’s a tricky one, but I do have some sympathy with the Bob Lord position on this one.

With streaming etc it now looks inevitable, as folks will just pirate it anyway.  I’d be more comfortable if the money made from the extra streams was redistributed to the lower leagues - but then, we know why the PL breakaway happened, and it wasn’t for the good of football. 

28 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

It's still wildly annoying that I have to bounce between Peacock / TV (Sling in my instance) to find a game. Just let them all play in the Peacock app, I beg of you my evil Comcast overlords. Even if I have to register my Sling subscription to show I have USA Network.

This is the thing I hate, besides Peacock being shit. You should be able to get every match if you have a cable sub or every match if you just stream, not have to have both.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

It's not their choice the blackout is imposed by the FA and UEFA, I think they're only proposing to shift around schedules to allow them to take advantage of existing allowances for showing matches at 3pm.

It’s a voluntary rule, UEFA allow the rule to happen and enforce if broadcasters go against it, but the football leagues and/or FA can ask to reverse it.

The proposal is to scrap to rule and make every game open for broadcast, they want to appeal to Apple, Amazon, and Netflix, and to do a universal deal.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Mental that it's taken this long to start discussing it properly, should have been a thing 10 years ago.

Yes but was the infrastructure there 10 years ago for global streaming of live PL, it is now given the rapid rise of FTTP and cable ultrafast coverage.

6 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Mental that it's taken this long to start discussing it properly, should have been a thing 10 years ago.

Aye. Sorry to say it but if I want to watch a Newcastle match then you’re doing that. You are either going to the match, watching on IPTV/pub, or sitting at home watching the scores on SSN. You aren’t going to go and see Hartlepool in League Two, or North Shields in the Northern League instead.

If you don’t scrap the rule, sooner or later the Premier League will just change the KO times of every game away from Saturday at 3pm, then you’ll get the EFL doing that themselves.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, GideonShandy said:

With Bournemouth (home ground capacity 11,364) just being sold for £150 million, you'd think PIF would be feeling pleased with themselves for having bought us at only £305 million.

An absolute steal tbf.

15 minutes ago, Stifler said:

It’s a voluntary rule, UEFA allow the rule to happen and enforce if broadcasters go against it, but the football leagues and/or FA can ask to reverse it.

The proposal is to scrap to rule and make every game open for broadcast, they want to appeal to Apple, Amazon, and Netflix, and to do a universal deal.

From what I can tell there's no confirmation of what the proposal is yet, it's just an idea being floated that is a long way from being more than that. Apparently one current way to achieve it would be to move the schedule around so that less than 50% of the games kick off on Saturday at 3pm which would allow them to get around the rule. To actually scrap the rule they'd need the agreement of the FA, who would then have to apply to UEFA to opt out of it. There's likely to be lots of opposition to it changing from clubs lower down the pyramid and so there's no guarantee that the EFL would be allowed to. 

59 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

I’m a YouTube TV guy like Kanji. But my Peacock app has every match as far as I know? I could just watch it all through there. Although I prefer when the match is on USA where there is slightly less of a delay. 

30 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

This is the thing I hate, besides Peacock being shit. You should be able to get every match if you have a cable sub or every match if you just stream, not have to have both.

Whatever our situation is, it sounds wildly better than over there. :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

From what I can tell there's no confirmation of what the proposal is yet, it's just an idea being floated that is a long way from being more than that. Apparently one current way to achieve it would be to move the schedule around so that less than 50% of the games kick off on Saturday at 3pm which would allow them to get around the rule. To actually scrap the rule they'd need the agreement of the FA, who would then have to apply to UEFA to opt out of it. There's likely to be lots of opposition to it changing from clubs lower down the pyramid and so there's no guarantee that the EFL would be allowed to. 

The thing is the EFL will only listen its own members. If they can sell all matches at 3pm as a global package for say £400m per year over the estimated £180m per year they get now, then they’ll do it. It also opens up the possibility of the Premier League doing their own deal with streaming providers and almost doubling their income to about £10bn a year, of which the EFL itself gets a share.

There has already been talk of the National League broadcasting games and I believe they have done some sort of trial on YouTube or are wanting to. All of a sudden you then have all the way down to steps 5/6 all broadcasting their games.

It will happen, it’s just a question of if they are going to have to use loopholes 1st to get there or not.

Edited by Stifler

3 hours ago, cubaricho said:

We already have every PL match live. We’re good. Sort yourselves out. :lol: 

Remember that 18 months where there was no peacock and every every game was on TV, man. Golden days.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Remember that 18 months where there was no peacock and every every game was on TV, man. Golden days.

Then they took it away and charged us more for the privilege of streaming it  :lol: