PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

First time I've heard Reuben speak and was impressed tbh. He was more on the ball than I thought he'd be given he's been born with a silver spoon and hasn't had to fight for anything.

40 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

First time I've heard Reuben speak and was impressed tbh. He was more on the ball than I thought he'd be given he's been born with a silver spoon and hasn't had to fight for anything.

Aye I liked what he was saying too. Seems very switched on. Would like to know what QPR fans think of his time there.

I did find the podcast as a whole difficult though. The editing of it was piss poor needlessly at times. 

Shame we didn’t learn more about potentially extending the stadium but good that it was mentioned. 

12 hours ago, TRon said:

I agree with the principle, but let's face it, no one gives a toss about the Saudi league anyway.

I mean, you’re right in terms of outside of KSA.  Must be a pisser for supporters of other club across there (and there must be some)

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

That news about the golf is huge, and I think very good for us. The Saudis are now fully embedded and accepted in world sport and therefore are going nowhere. Meanwhile some of the spotlight is taken off us as we become a smaller fish in their portfolio. Suits me fine. Steady & sensible continual investment & ambition is perfect for us.

I bet UEFA are looking at this news nervously, because if/when the Super League does happen the Saudis will likely be at the heart of it. Wouldn't be surprised if the EPL took on board the big European teams and thus making the Premier League the official Super League, rather than being the unofficial one. I think it could possibly work too, by making the PL ran by the English FA but allowing the big Euro teams to compete in it. Create an extra relegation spot specifically for European teams so that the lowest placed Euro team gets relegated back to their home nation league system. Then their place in the PL is contested for by a play-off competition involving the winners of the other European leagues. It would mean the likes of Real and Barca sacking off their home leagues of course but, as we found out today, huge money talks. Well, I think it's a decent idea anyway. [emoji38]

It’s a hideous idea :)

The whole ‘Super League’ idea needs to be fucked off generally, and I’d think most would not be happy with adding teams to the English league - one consequence of which would likely be expulsion from FIFA

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s a hideous idea :)

The whole ‘Super League’ idea needs to be fucked off generally, and I’d think most would not be happy with adding teams to the English league - one consequence of which would likely be expulsion from FIFA

Dunno mind. The fans of clubs like Bournemouth and Crystal Palace probably wouldn't be averse to having the opportunity of being in a league with Barcelona, whilst still maintaining the domestic game & facing their traditional rivals, with relegation and promotion unaffected.

I think all bets are off with regards to what happens over the next 5 years tbh. It feels like the game is about to go truly global and there will be an astronomical amount of money behind it all.

Just now, Wandy said:

Dunno mind. The fans of clubs like Bournemouth and Crystal Palace probably wouldn't be averse to having the opportunity of being in a league with Barcelona, whilst still maintaining the domestic game & facing their traditional rivals, with relegation and promotion unaffected.

I think all bets are off with regards to what happens over the next 5 years tbh. It feels like the game is about to go truly global and there will be an astronomical amount of money behind it all.

Clubs like Bournemouth and Palace would be the ones ejected to make way for them.  It wouldn’t be a 30-club division.

English football is a pyramid.  That’s it’s strength.  And 150 years down the toilet because some would like to see Man Utd play Barcelona twice a year guaranteed.

Nah, I’ll give that a miss. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Clubs like Bournemouth and Palace would be the ones ejected to make way for them.  It wouldn’t be a 30-club division.

English football is a pyramid.  That’s it’s strength.  And 150 years down the toilet because some would like to see Man Utd play Barcelona twice a year guaranteed.

Nah, I’ll give that a miss. 

They wouldn't be though, that's the point. You could have a PL consisting of maybe 14 English teams and 6 European teams. The 3 relegation spots to the Championship would still be there for English teams and a 4th relegation spot for the lowest placed Euro team, who get relegated back to their home league system. It would be like having two leagues combined into one, all fighting for the same prize. 

I could probably stomach having 6 foreign teams in the PL as long as the old domestic rivalries remained unaffected.

In reality though a midweek Super League will be what happens, if it ever comes back on the table.

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

They wouldn't be though, that's the point. You could have a PL consisting of maybe 14 English teams and 6 European teams. The 3 relegation spots to the Championship would still be there for English teams and a 4th relegation spot for the lowest placed Euro team, who get relegated back to their home league system. It would be like having two leagues combined into one, all fighting for the same prize. 

I could probably stomach having 6 foreign teams in the PL as long as the old domestic rivalries remained unaffected.

In reality though a midweek Super League will be what happens, if it ever comes back on the table.

How would old domestic rivalries be unaffected with only 14 English teams in the top flight? The Manchester and North London derbies would be the only ones you could count on. 

I'm with you that it feels like a major shakeup could be coming and it might actually succeed if it's backed by enough money. Hopefully the new CL model is enough to keep everyone happy and PIF remains interested in us / focused on helping a Saudi WC bid so they don't try to LIV football.

9 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

How would old domestic rivalries be unaffected with only 14 English teams in the top flight? The Manchester and North London derbies would be the only ones you could count on. 

I'm with you that it feels like a major shakeup could be coming and it might actually succeed if it's backed by enough money. Hopefully the new CL model is enough to keep everyone happy and PIF remains interested in us / focused on helping a Saudi WC bid so they don't try to LIV football.

Mainly because the opportunity to play at the highest level would remain for every single team in the English pyramid, albeit granted that it would be more difficult to get in. But taking this season, every team down to West Ham would have played in such a league, with Chelsea, Wolves and West Ham relegated and still replaced by Burnley, Sheff Utd and Luton.

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

Even though we are richer than anyone now the super league can still get fucked, terrible idea

Abso-fucking-luteley. Fuck that and fuck anyone trying to justify it now we’re a financial heavyweight. Makes a mockery of the whole concept of competitive sport 

2 hours ago, kocunar said:

One thing is quite clear now. 

We are a very minor expense to PIF. 

Aye, they are chucking more money at individual players than what they are providing us

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Aye, they are chucking more money at individual players than what they are providing us

The rules won't let them chuck that kind of money at us though.

2 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

yep. The angle that never gets mentioned is the economy.  45% of any wages would go into our economy. 

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1666025799844077568?s=61&t=ueDO4wJGMGqpaCxQvA5QFw

100 million just for him, 45 million lost.  

But he was never going to be offered £100m here, he's only being offered that because it's Saudi Arabia and it's the only reason they can get these ageing stars.

9 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

yep. The angle that never gets mentioned is the economy.  45% of any wages would go into our economy. 

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1666025799844077568?s=61&t=ueDO4wJGMGqpaCxQvA5QFw

100 million just for him, 45 million lost.  

Presuming you don’t realise the extent of wealth management and tax minimisation employed by the wealthiest 1%. He’d chainsaw that amount down to next to nothing. 

3 minutes ago, KDT said:

But he was never going to be offered £100m here, he's only being offered that because it's Saudi Arabia and it's the only reason they can get these ageing stars.

Agreed. They’d be going after the best of the best for double that.  Saudi vs Abu Dhabi vs Qatar no limits.  33 first team players 75 squad players.  The income tax would pay for a lot of food banks. 

16 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Presuming you don’t realise the extent of wealth management and tax minimisation employed by the wealthiest 1%. He’d chainsaw that amount down to next to nothing. 

lol. You think premiership footballers pay next to nothing in tax ?

edit - apologies as your post really amused me so I didn’t explain.  The super wealthy and corporations can absolutely minimise taxes.   When you have money it becomes easier.  For anyone earning money it becomes much more difficult.  Footballers have tried many things from offshoring payments, getting image rights though companies (to name a couple).  The HMRC have done a pretty good job at getting their salaries through PAYE so they will absolutely be paying a lot of tax. 

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

The PGA thing is massive.

It’s a foot in the door to American sports now.

I wonder if they will go all the way through and try to buy NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB teams?

All the leagues have been able to gain American owners, and they have been able to keep away outsiders, as well as their owners going to others Leagues to buy teams.

PIF buying such a team would have been a hard sell to get past before this announcement, but I wonder now if these leagues will see them as potential purchasers of the more struggling teams, the teams who need investment, or even expansion teams.

16 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Agreed. They’d be going after the best of the best for double that.  Saudi vs Abu Dhabi vs Qatar no limits.  33 first team players 75 squad players.  The income tax would pay for a lot of food banks. 

It wouldn’t pay for any foodbanks.  Better taxation policy and increased revenues would mean that they wouldn’t need to exist.  Though of course they shouldn’t exist at all at present - it is a conscious choice of the UK govt to have the poorest in food poverty. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It wouldn’t pay for any foodbanks.  Better taxation policy and increased revenues would mean that they wouldn’t need to exist.  Though of course they shouldn’t exist at all at present - it is a conscious choice of the UK govt to have the poorest in food poverty. 

food banks were a bad choice and brought the discussion into politics, which I like to avoid!   But you’re right.  How the money would be spent is one thing the point I was trying to make is without ffp there would be substantially more money going into the economy.  

Oliver Holt - bless

Newcastle United has already been turned into an obedient, fawning vassal state, but even the portion of the fanbase that revels in calling itself the Saudi Mags may now be beginning to realise that it is a plaything, a pawn in a much, much bigger game.