PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

The Friday night match should do decent numbers. 8pm, only a fiver in, generally hard to get to SJP for a competitive Newcastle match. I might be tempted to be honest, although wouldn't use up a holiday for the other match. Obviously a controversial move though.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I understand we're trying to tap into the Saudi market, but the optics hardly do us any favours regarding the "separation" argument. 

The separation argument is settled so I wouldn’t worry about that.

so we are left with complaints about two countries having a game of football at our stadium. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

The separation argument is settled so I wouldn’t worry about that.

so we are left with complaints about two countries having a game of football at our stadium. 

I don't particularly believe the takeover was about "separation" of KSA and PIF because there isn't any.

I think it's Great North Run weekend so I don't think they'll be brilliantly attended, but it'd be cool to see a few of the sportswashing groups about.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yes. 

Will anyone do anything though? No

Love your brutal honesty :thup:

personally I’m not sure what people will kick up a fuss about  I doubt any nufc fan based in the NE cares about the Saudi national team. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Love your brutal honesty :thup:

personally I’m not sure what people will kick up a fuss about  I doubt any nufc fan based in the NE cares about the Saudi national team. 

I just think most people who do care about it, like everyone else, probably just have bigger fish to fry than kicking off over something like this. Likewise the takeover really, it just all feels fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean to say there's nothing to dislike about it. 

What I will say though, and I can't believe I didn't predict this earlier, but there's a handful of teams and players out there who are 'sportswashed' now, it's not just Newcastle. 

But that's where we're at now. Where any hypocrisy trumps all morality, which in turn excuses immorality. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Personally I couldn't care less who plays at SJP. I understand it may bother some of our supporters, and I respect their viewpoint.

However it will also draw criticism from the righteous masses - other clubs and their supporters, media, etc.

I have no idea how this works, but I guess we get money from somewhere for hosting these fixtures in our stadium? That will ruffle feathers.

Props to anyone who wants to grasp the opportunity for a kind of visual protest, but I can't muster any sort of resistance or even much emotion at this point.

Saudi Arabia owns us so there's gonna be lots of Saudi Arabia craic from here on in; be it green kits, the governor of their PIF being portrayed as a cuddly and whimsical grandad on Amazon, or their national team playing at SJP.

Wouldn't worry about lightning rods at this point; the horse has long since bolted.

I'm looking forward to seeing some International football at St James's again, that's all I'm thinking about. The fact it's Saudi Arabia is by the by and I'd be going to watch it at those prices even if it was Lichtenstein vs Malta.

People like to have something to be outraged about but I don't think this is  worth it tbh.

Seen quite a few saudis in their traditional clothing and with flags at the villa game mind. Only seen that once last season was about 5 blokes

Was 2 separate groups of about 20 this time

Must be doing trips for em

Be interesting to see if they get many over for this

There's probably a good few hundred (?) Saudi students at both unis. Plus when I did my CELTA at International House there was quite a few there. No guarentee those groups have actually flown over tbf.

Edited by ponsaelius