PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

On 14/05/2024 at 16:46, LFEE said:

Planning permission incoming then?

No, I doubt it.

It’s common practice that councils and local authorities work with businesses, either via helping them access funds, or in this case, requesting a form of sponsorship.

A big new company in the area, ‘Let’s work with them’. No doubt Sunderland council have had similar conversations with Nissan, for example.

Posted (edited)

In all honesty, if our council is asking for handouts to feed hungry children from PIF/Saudi Arabia, that is an indictment on our government, not us.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, Slim said:

They could give everyone in Newcastle 1 mil each tbh.

Would happily forget all my morals.

Can we extend that to Tyneside, specifically North Tyneside?

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Saudi Arabia doing more for the region than your own government. Quite disgusting really.

You mean the same government that put pressure on to get the takeover to happen (while our own elected Labour MP was talking it down) and got shit on here for doing so?

31 minutes ago, Stifler said:

And County Durham but I'll settle for £250k (Newcastle weighting and all that)

37 minutes ago, Stifler said:

NE27 could do with some levelling up.

This is an impartial statement from....someone.

From the Douglas piece today:

The presence of Yasir Al-Rumayyan on Tyneside last week was interesting. The Saudi PIF governor, and Newcastle chairman, is hands off at St James’ Park but sources suggest “things start moving” when he is in town. Whether recruitment and stadium plans will gather pace now remains to be seen but talks with the first major target of the summer – Tosin Adarabioyo – accelerated in the week he was visiting.

Indeed i has been told that he is one of the reasons why a deal has not yet been brokered with Manchester United for the services of Dan Ashworth. Be it belligerence or a warning shot that this version of Newcastle will not accommodate rivals, the message is clear: we aren’t here to make friends.

I understand PIF have final say, but if they're going to be hands-off surely some form of delegation needs to occur to expedite decision making?

8 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The presence of Yasir Al-Rumayyan on Tyneside last week was interesting. The Saudi PIF governor, and Newcastle chairman, is hands off at St James’ Park but sources suggest “things start moving” when he is in town. Whether recruitment and stadium plans will gather pace now remains to be seen but talks with the first major target of the summer – Tosin Adarabioyo – accelerated in the week he was visiting.

Indeed i has been told that he is one of the reasons why a deal has not yet been brokered with Manchester United for the services of Dan Ashworth. Be it belligerence or a warning shot that this version of Newcastle will not accommodate rivals, the message is clear: we aren’t here to make friends.

I understand PIF have final say, but if they're going to be hands-off surely some form of delegation needs to occur to expedite decision making?

It’s been this way since the takeover.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

It’s been this way since the takeover.

It makes sense too, all of the money is fronted by PIF in essence. I’m assuming the structure in place means such big capital outlays have to be signed off by someone senior at PIF. 

15 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It makes sense too, all of the money is fronted by PIF in essence. I’m assuming the structure in place means such big capital outlays have to be signed off by someone senior at PIF. 

That was my understanding- that every decision needs sign-off in Riyadh and takes some time to do so.

It’s magnificently inefficient way of running a football club - you’d think that a permanent delegate at the club would make more sense.  But it’s clear that Staveley and Reuben aren’t running the show.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

That was my understanding- that every decision needs sign-off in Riyadh and takes some time to do so.

It’s magnificently inefficient way of running a football club - you’d think that a permanent delegate at the club would make more sense.  But it’s clear that Staveley and Reuben aren’t running the show.  

The problem is, we are too small of an investment to warrant having some stationed here 24/7. It’s definitely inefficient though, unless we can prepare things we in advance and get some form of pre approval. That being said, football is rarely so straightforward. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It certainly could be better, but magnificently inefficient may be a stretch given the success so far.

Just now, r0cafella said:

The problem is, we are too small of an investment to warrant having some stationed here 24/7. It’s definitely inefficient though, unless we can prepare things we in advance and get some form of pre approval. That being said, football is rarely so straightforward. 

Man City and PSG always had permanent representation on hand.  Just has an amateurish feel to it - though again, that would be reflective of the ultimate owners too; the KSA govt is nothing if it isn’t inefficient and wasteful. 

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Man City and PSG always had permanent representation on hand.  Just has an amateurish feel to it - though again, that would be reflective of the ultimate owners too; the KSA govt is nothing if it isn’t inefficient and wasteful. 

I don’t know enough about Saudi but I think the investments have a different nature, City is a crown jewel for the owners as is PSG. I feel we are just apart of PIFS massive portfolio. 

But as we’ve discussed, I will make my judgement on that when I know the stadium and training ground plan. (Not that my judgement is worth anything). 

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I hope this applies to Saudi clubs not buying players off the 'big 6' as well and helping them get rid of the likes of Casimero and his £300k a week wages.

Edited by TwoForJoy

It’s 2024. We have the technology to allow people to converse in real time without being in the same country. Don’t know why we’d need someone permanently on Tyneside to make decisions. Get them on Teams and thrash things out. 

17 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It’s 2024. We have the technology to allow people to converse in real time without being in the same country. Don’t know why we’d need someone permanently on Tyneside to make decisions. Get them on Teams and thrash things out. 

Saudi Arabia prohibits encrypted phone calls - which is why FaceTime etc is banned.

It’s a completely normal place …

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Saudi Arabia prohibits encrypted phone calls - which is why FaceTime etc is banned.

It’s a completely normal place …

I reckon the head of PIF might play by different rules to be honest 

Just now, Jack27 said:

I reckon the head of PIF might play by different rules to be honest 

I don’t doubt it :)

There’s plenty of stories about members of the House of Saud playing by different rules from the people that they rule over - including the strict libation laws …