Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

We changed transfer strategy too.

What took us to those heights was adding mostly young, athletic British players with a lot to prove into the team from lower down the league and Champo (+ Larry). We already had genuine quality with Given, Lee, Speed & Shearer. Then we started supplementing it with more established players of the same ilk (Woodgate, Bowyer - didn't work for different reasons).

But that core of young lads may have started losing their way, at least that was what the fans were being told. IIRC SBR wanted to double-down and bring in another youngster in Carrick. Shepherd wanted a more established professional and got Butt. We did get Milner in that summer I think though.  SBR leaves. We waste our money on Boumsong, Luque, Emre, Parker, Babayaro, Faye. Within 2 years - Bernard, Robert, Dyer, Jenas, Bellamy, Milner all gone. That spark gone.

Our fans contributed though. It was that era we started getting accusations of being spoiled. We boo'd a 0-0 opening game. James Milner, a player who always gave 100% was routinely ridiculed.

Our success was down to SBR (& Shearer). Shephard wasn't a visionary owner but he would back his managers with ££ when he wasn't interferring. SBR was the best appointment he was ever going to make. It was always going to be downhill from there and Shephard's ego was just getting bigger. If he had kept SBR we would have remained European contenders i'm certain. Look at the players SBR wanted, 2 out of 3 would work.

Edited by The College Dropout

I know, all this talk of Jermaine Jenas is now making me think Dan Ashworth is a bit of an irritating dick who will be spending more time on the One Show than being our Director of Football. 

I suppose neither have played against Emerson so at least they have that in common. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, NUFC_Chris said:

November seems a long time. 9 months gardening leave!?

9 month notice period according to Hope. No surprise; was always going to be a target for others if he did a good job at Brighton. Wonder what fee they’re after? No idea what the going rate would be.

Just going back to Jenas, he really should have been a top top player. When he won Young Player of the Year he was damn good. If he’d had a bit more drive and niggle who knows what he could have achieved. I remember watching his first few games thinking we had some

player on our hands.

Anyway, Dan Ashworth, surely that just gets sorted when we want.

1 minute ago, Hovagod said:

Getting ever so slightly bored with this one. Not concerned, worried or scared. Just bored. Hope it simply doesn’t happen,

Hope it doesn't happen cos you're bored ?.Interesting if slightly bonkers taken on the situation.

Edited by madras

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

No issue whatsoever with Howe et al leading the recruitment charge over the summer. 

From what I've read Ashworth isn't that involved in actual recruitment. He's more the bloke who gets those in charge of the different aspects to work together.

13 minutes ago, madras said:

From what I've read Ashworth isn't that involved in actual recruitment. He's more the bloke who gets those in charge of the different aspects to work together.

Funny to think that this time last year Charnley was responsible for all of those jobs. 

Press just recycling news again I see. This Ashworth news was reported months ago wasn't it? We will fix it when we want to. I expect he is enjoying his time off to mentally recharge and likely preparing. Absolutely nothing to say he isn't getting organized behind closed doors mentally or organizing his move North. 

I’m actually surprised they haven’t just paid Brighton to get this done. I’m also surprised a CEO hasn’t been appointed yet too. 

Hopefully our owners didn’t get too much of an adrenaline rush during January and want another hit in the summer :lol: