The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

The Saudis have committed all sorts of atrocities in Yemen in the last five years. They’ve also created a massive humanitarian crisis in the form of mass starvation and a cholera epidemic as a result of the blockade. Just a friendly reminder what awful pieces of shit run the country.

I mean, California requires its state agencies to buy their furniture from the state prison authority. Essentially slave labor.

I'm not trying to justify anything or say what about. I guess I'm just tired, and everything everywhere is shit.

Edited by Miercoles

2 hours ago, Miercoles said:

I mean, California requires its state agencies to buy their furniture from the state prison authority. Essentially slave labor.

I'm not trying to justify anything or say what about. I guess I'm just tired, and everything everywhere is shit.

Honestly, if the US Treasury buys us then it is relevant.  But until they do, it is whatabouttery

2 hours ago, Miercoles said:

What a comparison :lol:

3 hours ago, Miercoles said:

I'm pretty confident that none of the shit that goes on in the California prison system, utterly deplorable as it is, is nearly equivalent to the sort of abuses that occur in whatever excuse for a penal system the Saudis have.

8 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

Be interesting to see how their “drum bangers” take this.  

Yet to see a more cringeworthy set of fans than them Palace lot behind that goal

Add in that HLTCO on twitter I don't think I want any other club to fly down the divisions more.

Be back to getting 10k before we know it

Edited by jack j

2 hours ago, oldtype said:

I'm pretty confident that none of the shit that goes on in the California prison system, utterly deplorable as it is, is nearly equivalent to the sort of abuses that occur in whatever excuse for a penal system the Saudis have.

KSA literally does not have a codified penal system.  The police and the judiciary get to decide if something is a ‘crime’, and how that ‘crime’ should be punished.  And of course it’s a dictatorship, so you’re not getting a vote to change it.

I personally find pampered people in the west desperately trying to make equivalences tiresome.  I can’t imagine a system more open to human rights abuses than that in KSA. 

10 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

The Saudis have committed all sorts of atrocities in Yemen in the last five years. They’ve also created a massive humanitarian crisis in the form of mass starvation and a cholera epidemic as a result of the blockade. Just a friendly reminder what awful pieces of shit run the country.

Very true. However, through it all, we've sold them cutting edge fighters/attack aircraft. Also a Shit load of small arms/ battlefield weapons. We've had "defence advisors" deployed for years. Very few have railed against this over the years. So in a sense we shouldn't bother ourselves too much, since successive governments got into bed with the Saudis for years. 

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Honestly, if the US Treasury buys us then it is relevant.  But until they do, it is whatabouttery

Yeah, you're right. I don't stand behind the post.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that everything's okay with the club because everything's wrong in the world.

57 minutes ago, triggs said:

Mad how people on here use a Tory led government (who everybody on here hates) to make some point about why they should care about the Saudis' wrongdoings :lol:

Surely the point is more to add context in response to all the criticism of Newcastle fans being comfortable with this?

Does anyone else feel ever so more increasingly more comfortable the longer we’ve been owned by KSA and the better we’ve become? At first there was much needed relief and we were also fighting relegation. Now we’re in the CL, spending increasingly more money and constantly surrounded by positivity, I’m worrying a bit more perhaps out of guilt given all the abuses continuing to go on while we’re out celebrating the significant impacts of Saudi investment. Not that we ourselves have anything to apologise for. 

Edited by St. Maximin

I just don't get how people are all everyone is shitty and horrible too doesn't then come to the conclusion that none of this shit should ever be anything to do with our, or any, football club and it's sheer madness that it is. As said plenty of times, I had no say in ownership so I do not feel totally unable to enjoy the benefits, I don't think any of our fans have to give a shit, I just don't get people seemingly now 'supporting' saudi arabia as if they are NUFC now. They just are the ones giving us money, for different reasons which may or may not work. 

1 hour ago, Tiresias said:

I just don't get how people are all everyone is shitty and horrible too doesn't then come to the conclusion that none of this shit should ever be anything to do with our, or any, football club and it's sheer madness that it is. As said plenty of times, I had no say in ownership so I do not feel totally unable to enjoy the benefits, I don't think any of our fans have to give a shit, I just don't get people seemingly now 'supporting' saudi arabia as if they are NUFC now. They just are the ones giving us money, for different reasons which may or may not work. 

Agree but I think very few people seem to be supporters of KSA. I think those that do feel the need to defend them are probably getting a bit defensive or trying to justify the takeover to themselves. 

9 hours ago, triggs said:

Mad how people on here use a Tory led government (who everybody on here hates) to make some point about why they should care about the Saudis' wrongdoings :lol:

That's not really the point. It's just a counter to the argument that Newcastle fans should do something but the 'leaders of the free world' in USA and UK are both absolutely fine with having Saudi-Arabia as their allies and are happy to sell them weapons. I'm not comfortable that we are owned by them but fuck anyone who says it's the duty of NUFC fans to fix the human rights issues in Saudi-Arabia or save the Yemeni children. I just want to watch football.

Edited by Pata

27 minutes ago, Pata said:

That's not really the point. It's just a counter to the argument that Newcastle fans should do something but the 'leaders of the free world' in USA and UK are both absolutely fine with having Saudi-Arabia as their allies and are happy to sell them weapons. I'm not comfortable that we are owned by them but fuck anyone who says it's the duty of NUFC fans to fix the human rights issues in Saudi-Arabia and thus make the world a better place. I just want to watch football.

Good post. But why endorse them in any way? Why have flags celebrating the anniversary of the takeover? Why not just accept the good luck and move on accordingly? I could have mentioned head scarves and Saudi flags but we accept that’s the morons amongst us. Why do the groups being featured in gushing documentaries blindly get involved? As a fanbase I would like to think we are better than such embarrassing servility. 

Just now, Geogaddi said:

If the majority of this country can vote for the Tories then accepting the Saudis as owners is still the least of our problems.

As pointed out, lots of us hate the Tories and our owners

I’m probably going to word this really hamfistedly (is that a word) but here goes. 

I’ve seen a few younger lads at matches with Saudi flags, Iocal accents but if I’d guess south Asian heritage but not I suspect Middle Eastern. I can understand why they’d embrace some (in my opinion) fairly superficial diversity at the top given where we’ve been in the 80s and early 90s as a homogenous fan base not especially welcoming to minorities (albeit reflective of the area) but waving Saudi flags and celebrating all things KSA (id call out any supporters - those wearing headscarves etc was cringy and semi offensive even if well

intentioned) but at the villa game the only lads I seen with Saudi flags seemed to celebrating the “otherness” of KSA as an anti establishment stance. 

28 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Good post. But why endorse them in any way? Why have flags celebrating the anniversary of the takeover? Why not just accept the good luck and move on accordingly? I could have mentioned head scarves and Saudi flags but we accept that’s the morons amongst us. Why do the groups being featured in gushing documentaries blindly get involved? As a fanbase I would like to think we are better than such embarrassing servility. 

meant to reply to this 

1 minute ago, OCOCOL said:

I’m probably going to word this really hamfistedly (is that a word) but here goes. 

I’ve seen a few younger lads at matches with Saudi flags, Iocal accents but if I’d guess south Asian heritage but not I suspect Middle Eastern. I can understand why they’d embrace some (in my opinion) fairly superficial diversity at the top given where we’ve been in the 80s and early 90s as a homogenous fan base not especially welcoming to minorities (albeit reflective of the area) but waving Saudi flags and celebrating all things KSA (id call out any supporters - those wearing headscarves etc was cringy and semi offensive even if well

intentioned) but at the villa game the only lads I seen with Saudi flags seemed to celebrating the “otherness” of KSA as an anti establishment stance. 

I've seen no Saudi flags since the early days if the takeover.

My ST is in gallowgate but took the bairn via ballot.

the only other time was in Leazes L7 v palace in carabao cup. Similar profile of flag waver. 

just didn’t sit right. Totally support inclusion and a broader fan base especially younger fans but in the palace game especially the flag waving seemed slightly antagonistic