The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

Today's coverage will be unbearable

Yep. I switched on Sky News for five minutes and the presenter was grilling Keith Starmer about Newcastle being owned by a Saudi investment firm. That was the actual news channel as well, not Sky Sports.

Just now, Bompeter said:

For the avoidance of doubt, @Khalidao is a Saudi propagandist who sees it has his job to justify the brutality of the Saudi state. We don't actually know the identities of those executed because death row inmates are denied basic legal rights. It is just as likely (read: almost certain) that there were human rights campaigners and dissidents murdered yesterday. 

Let's assume that I am in fact a Saudi propagandist, have you researched the crimes committed by the 81?

Also, this past week, human rights "capmaigners" like Raif Badawi and others were released from prison but sadly that didn't get any coverage in your trusted media for some odd reason.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yep. I switched on Sky News for five minutes and the presenter was grilling Keith Starmer about Newcastle being owned by a Saudi investment firm. That was the actual news channel as well, not Sky Sports.

The media create their own narratives that's what annoys me most. I mean we're all guilty of it, but the media and powers that be have the power to change it, we don't.

5 minutes ago, Bompeter said:

For the avoidance of doubt, @Khalidao is a Saudi propagandist who sees it has his job to justify the brutality of the Saudi state. We don't actually know the identities of those executed because death row inmates are denied basic legal rights. It is just as likely (read: almost certain) that there were human rights campaigners and dissidents murdered yesterday. 

Surely the same could be applied to this statement in the opposite direction? 

3 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

Let's assume that I am in fact a Saudi propagandist, have you researched the crimes committed by the 81?

Also, this past week, human rights "capmaigners" like Raif Badawi and others were released from prison but sadly that didn't get any coverage in your trusted media for some odd reason.

It's impossible to research the crimes of the 81 because the Saudi government don't release that information

3 minutes ago, Khalidao said:

How many times was Raif Badawi lashed before his release?

1 minute ago, Heron said:

The media create their own narratives that's what annoys me most. I mean we're all guilty of it, but the media and powers that be have the power to change it, we don't.

It seems somewhat predictable that Russia invading the Ukraine is going to translate into us being the bad guys today.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

What narrative is that? They reported the facts as released by the Saudi government, that they executed 81 people yesterday

8 hours ago, ElDiablo said:

What we're seeing with the team now is all I've ever been after. A group of lads and manager to be proud of.

I'd happily forego the future money and success to be rid of the Saudi connection. 

Not for me.   I want PIF to spend millions on us.  I would love them to build a state of the art training facility, love them to upgrade and extend St James park.   Love them to invest in the city of Newcastle. Love us to win trophies and replace one of the teams in the top 6.

Let the money come in for a change.   If NUFC was down south, the noise would be less.   So for me, bring the money, bring the success, bring the feel good factor, bring the jobs because we aint going to get any of that with any Government in the UK who see us a second class citizens.  HWTL

Of course a country like Saudi whose  centuries old barbaric religious ways are rightly  a target for criticism from the “civilised” western world. And obviously Newcastle United and it’s fans are the biggest perpetrators of allowing this to continue so we are rightly to blame here :harry:

Truth of the matter is the Western world will tolerate it, very much like the dirty Russian money and terrorism (poisonings etc) because of their oil and gas and China with its alleged thousands of capital punishments and it’s concentration camps because the western world couldn’t function without its manufacturing. UNTIL they do something that becomes a threat. 

It’s the way the western world works. It’s wrong, but it’s how it works. 

Edited by RS

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

What narrative is that? They reported the facts as released by the Saudi government, that they executed 81 people yesterday

They did but it's only part of the story isn't it. Like everyone is rushing off to say how disgraceful it is, etc. But those 81 could be paedophiles, rapists, mass murderers, etc.

Likewise they could be human rights protestors, etc. No one knows, and everyone is rushing off to finish the plot so to speak.

This is where NO let's itself fown for me. As soon as anyone goes slightly against the grain they're defined as some sort of apologist for the Tories, the Saudis, etc. Etc.

The point I'm making is, that there is more than meets the eye with this stuff and we're all speculating. 

3 minutes ago, christ said:

How many times was Raif Badawi lashed before his release?

Since MBS became the crown prince in 2017, zero lashes. MBS literally eradicated the lashing of prisoners and other stupid and inhumane practices that previous officials were too reluctant to change them.

FWIW, Saudi Arabia didn't start executing criminals yesterday, they have a medieval justice system since their inception back in the 1900s or whenever the state was created. PIF have followed other dubious owners into British football because we encouraged it. We've won Champions league trophies on the back of the wealth pumped into British football on the back of this money. That's just how it is, by all means I can understand if people don't like it, but it's the reality of football for the last 20 years. It didn't just happen yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

They did but it's only part of the story isn't it. Like everyone is rushing off to say how disgraceful it is, etc. But those 81 could be paedophiles, rapists, mass murderers, etc.

Likewise they could be human rights protestors, etc. No one knows, and everyone is rushing off to finish the plot so to speak.

This is where NO let's itself fown for me. As soon as anyone goes slightly against the grain they're defined as some sort of apologist for the Tories, the Saudis, etc. Etc.

The point I'm making is, that there is more than meets the eye with this stuff and we're all speculating. 

They could be but there's no way of knowing because the Saudis won't release any information about those that were executed 

8 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Not for me.   I want PIF to spend millions on us.  I would love them to build a state of the art training facility, love them to upgrade and extend St James park.   Love them to invest in the city of Newcastle. Love us to win trophies and replace one of the teams in the top 6.

Let the money come in for a change.   If NUFC was down south, the noise would be less.   So for me, bring the money, bring the success, bring the feel good factor, bring the jobs because we aint going to get any of that with any Government in the UK who see us a second class citizens.  HWTL

And by the way........until some legal beaver comes out and proves that PIF is not a separate entity, then all this hand wringing, is self flagellation.   Enough of shit world problems and politics for today - Im focusing on football,   eeeee what a C**t I am

24 minutes ago, Heron said:

Today's coverage will be unbearable

If it's not of interest or something you don't want to see, just stick to the pre-match build up. Not a chance Sky Sports will touch on it. Maybe briefly the sanctions against Chelsea, but that'll be it. You've got to factor in Jamie Redknapp won't have a clue what's going on for starters.

4 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

If it's not of interest or something you don't want to see, just stick to the pre-match build up. Not a chance Sky Sports will touch on it. Maybe briefly the sanctions against Chelsea, but that'll be it. You've got to factor in Jamie Redknapp won't have a clue what's going on for starters.

Probably the most sensible approach. Take the Eddie Howe approach, this isn't something we have control over, we are just here to follow our football club as fans.

6 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Doesn't stop him commenting on the football.

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Of course a country like Saudi whose  centuries old barbaric religious ways are rightly  a target for criticism from the “civilised” western world. And obviously Newcastle United and it’s fans are the biggest perpetrators of allowing this to continue so we are rightly to blame here :harry:

Truth of the matter is the Western world will tolerate it, very much like the dirty Russian money and terrorism (poisonings etc) because of their oil and gas and China with its alleged thousands of capital punishments and it’s concentration camps because the western world couldn’t function without its manufacturing. UNTIL they do something that becomes a threat. 

It’s the way the western world works. It’s wrong, but it’s how it works. 

The Western world has no right to lecture others when the leader of the West, the US, still has Guantanamo Bay. We can debate the rights and wrongs of capital punishment but it is a form of punishment that many countries adhere to across the world. 

Guantanamo Bay was deliberately set up to evade people having the right to a fair trial.

22 minutes ago, Heron said:

The death penalty is absolutely barbaric regardless of the crime. Absolutely disgusting on every level. 

Of course that applies to the USA as much as the Middle East. The US mainly execute and incarcerate poor people, black people and people with drug and mental health problems. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The death penalty is absolutely barbaric regardless of the crime. Absolutely disgusting on every level. 

Of course that applies to the USA as much as the Middle East. 

If it was applied to someone who killed a member of my family I’d happily throw the switch/do the injection/baseball bat the cunt to death myself. 

Just now, RS said:

If it was applied to someone who killed a member of my family I’d happily throw the switch/do the injection/baseball bat the cunt to death myself. 

You’d understandably be incredibly angry, so would I. But I wouldn’t want policy made based on anger and revenge. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You’d understandably be incredibly angry, so would I. But I wouldn’t want policy made based on anger and revenge. 

I think capital punishment has its place. It might just deter someone enough to prevent unnecessary loss of life and if it doesn’t then they know the consequences of their actions. Seems a bit more off putting than 10 years in a holiday camp. 

4 minutes ago, RS said:

I think capital punishment has its place. It might just deter someone enough to prevent unnecessary loss of life and if it doesn’t then they know the consequences of their actions. Seems a bit more off putting than 10 years in a holiday camp. 

It’s proven not to deter crime. That’s not to mention the chance of killing the wrong person. 

Anyway, didn’t mean to start a death penalty debate, I’m sorry :lol:

I was just saying that, for me, it doesn’t matter who the people are that they executed. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo