The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Totally on the same page as you with all of this Triggs, I think whether it's a fair assumption or not (hopefully unfair), people might just have reservations about the motivations of the person in bringing it up.

Does it matter though who brings it up? It's worthy of discussion. The first response shouldn't be to try to question the motives of the person posting it rather than the news itself IMO

1 hour ago, triggs said:

Does it matter though who brings it up? It's worthy of discussion. The first response shouldn't be to try to question the motives of the person posting it rather than the news itself IMO

It does matter, yeah.

EDIT: What I mean is it's worthy of discussion, but it matters whether the person bringing it up is doing it to actually have a discussion with you or just doing it to wind you up.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Deflecting what? Do you honestly think anyone is sitting here thinking what they've done is okay?

I don't know your opinion because instead of dealing with the message you've shot the messenger

Man U beat Spurs and Froggy's testicles grow a little. [emoji38]

As for Capital Punishment, I'm not a fan of it. So to hear 81 people have been killed in a single day should be news, it should be shocking. Any country that still has the death penalty should be ashamed.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Put it this way, the same post minus the thumbs up and, again maybe unfairly, from someone else, and the reaction is different.

The same post with the thumbs up from anyone else and the reaction is different, but the post would never have been made. My post was the the first one in this thread for a full week despite everything that is going on. 

And once again, apologies for the thumbs up. It wasn't meant to be distasteful. 

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

The same post with the thumbs up from anyone else and the reaction is different, but the post would never have been made. My post was the the first one in this thread for a full week despite everything that is going on. 

What was it meant to be out of interest? 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You got exactly what you wanted. 

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

You got anymore information on why these people were executed. Genuinely interested in what is happening and the reasons of so many people executed. Hopefully with your original comments you are up on what has happened. And I am interested in finding out. 

Edited by reefatoon

Surely that's just a bit sarcasm like. Howay.

Anyways, from my occasional outing into this thread I think people need to realise these particular subjects are sensitive and to try and be a bit open minded to the discussion. Otherwise it's an echo chamber of abuse and the same opinions...

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

You got anymore information on why these people were executed. Genuinely interested in what is happening and the reasons of so many people executed. Hopefully with your original comments you are up on what has happened. And I am interested in finding out. 

They were on the equivalent of death row but various human rights groups would have things to say about the legitimacy of the trials, etc.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, triggs said:

They were on the equivalent of death row but various human rights groups would have things to say about the legitimacy of the trials, etc.

Thanks for that. Froggy was asking us what we thought, but to give an opinion you have to have the full story. Do you know what they were on death row for? It’s tricky to base an opinion until you know all the details. 

Any state killing that many of its own citizens, by beheading no less, is fucking vile and disgusting. How Saudi Arabia thinks it can move towards a more "western" society while doing shit like this is so beyond me. 

Just now, reefatoon said:

Thanks for that. Froggy was asking us what we thought, but to give an opinion you have to have the full story. Do you know what they were on death row for? It’s tricky to base an opinion until you know all the details. 

I'm sure your Google works as well as mine but doesn't seem to be too much information released on the specifics of it. 

Even if they were 81 of the worst people ever to live, to record your highest daily number of executions ever doesn't exactly scream that they are moving in the right direction in terms of human rights.

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Any state killing that many of its own citizens, by beheading no less, is fucking vile and disgusting. How Saudi Arabia thinks it can move towards a more "western" society while doing shit like this is so beyond me. 

Have they said they want to move towards a "western" society? If they have then clearly they have some things to change

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

He didn't ask what anyone thought mind. 

Coming into a footballing thread to try and infer questionable moral integrity of the fans on a forum which already had a specific thread in chat on the very subject which long preceded our ownership is not the hot take you think it is. 

Show me how many football forums had the moral aptitude to even bother discussing the heinous actions of KSA before they were even a dot on the footballing horizon and I'll happily walk this comment back. 

Just now, Darth Crooks said:

Has it ever expressed that? Or just stronger ties?

Don't know, but their "project 2030" or whatever it's called is all about them moving away from being oil dependent and becoming a part of the "modern" world i thought. 

I'll admit that I'm really not clued up on Saudi Arabian politics at all, just going off bits and pieces that I've seen.

Just now, Thumbheed said:

Coming into a footballing thread to try and infer questionable moral integrity of the fans on a forum which already had a specific thread in chat on the very subject which long preceded our ownership is not the hot take you think it is. 

Show me how many football forums had the moral aptitude to even bother discussing the heinous actions of KSA before they were even a dot on the footballing horizon and I'll happily walk this comment back. 

This happened today, while we are under their ownership.

This thread was set up to discuss the negative side of the owners.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, triggs said:

I'm sure your Google works as well as mine but doesn't seem to be too much information released on the specifics of it. 

Even if they were 81 of the worst people ever to live, to record your highest daily number of executions ever doesn't exactly scream that they are moving in the right direction in terms of human rights.

That’s fair enough. I just find it hard to base any opinion on half a story. To be either outraged or to not give a shite, I feel the exact details of it need to be looked at. That’s not me trying to stick up for what they are doing either, I just want to understand exactly why.