Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

20 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Every time they cut to Gerrard he had this look on his face like he knew it just wasn't going to be his day.

Gerard is a manager, Howe is a coach and a manager, that’s what separates them. Howe will succeed regardless of his backroom team in the way Rafa has and did. Once Fergie realised the game was changing, him being a great manager, but not a great coach, he surrounded himself with top coaches and signed players in the main who benefitted from his style of man management and his team’s coaching in conjunction with one another. 

8 hours ago, GWN said:

Hope all the doubters on here can come back and say they were wrong mind 

Has there been many doubters and the season hasn’t finished yet, we could still go down. He’s doing a good job right now, better than I expected and I’ve always rated him, but there is and always will be question marks. Right now he’s answering all and any, and so are the players. Long may it continue!

8 hours ago, GWN said:

I will,

I almost went full blown bring Rafa back after Watford but just about held it back. Not really to do with Eddie, more the pull of Rafa.

There is no doubt that to the naked eye we have had a slow start under Howe and have dropped some winnable points (Brentford, Norwich, Watford) but when you look back on the improvements and where we are today you can see the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes that was needed to flush away the turd of Bruce and there is now nothing between the performances of the managers who came in at the same time (Gerrard, Smith) and I would expect by the end of the season the stats will show that we got the right man

18 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I will,

I almost went full blown bring Rafa back after Watford but just about held it back. Not really to do with Eddie, more the pull of Rafa.

There is no doubt that to the naked eye we have had a slow start under Howe and have dropped some winnable points (Brentford, Norwich, Watford) but when you look back on the improvements and where we are today you can see the hard work that has gone on behind the scenes that was needed to flush away the turd of Bruce and there is now nothing between the performances of the managers who came in at the same time (Gerrard, Smith) and I would expect by the end of the season the stats will show that we got the right man

To my naked eye there have been noticeable, incremental improvements from the day he started.

On 14/02/2022 at 05:16, GWN said:

I doubted him and I don’t think it was particularly knee-jerk after our results and performances from his first 10 games.

There has been a vast improvement from the 4-0 defeat by Man City. Since then we’ve played well and got results.

I actually think we’re playing slightly different now to how we were in the first 10. We’re much more reserved, not fucking about with the ball too much and looking to move it forward faster/playing on the counter, which is absolutely the right thing to do for this team.

I’m surprised he changed it, but that’s a good sign that he’s noticed what he was doing before wasn’t working.

I still have some question marks around him in terms of whether he’ll be able to scale up and take us forward long term, but right now he’s doing a good job and I’m pleased for him.

I’d love him to be with us for years and take us forward because he’s quite likeable.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

49 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I doubted him and I don’t think it was particularly knee-jerk after our results and performances from his first 10 games.

There has been a vast improvement from the 4-0 defeat by Man City. Since then we’ve played well and got results.

I actually think we’re playing slightly different now to how we were in the first 10. We’re much more reserved, not fucking about with the ball too much and looking to move it forward faster/playing on the counter, which is absolutely the right thing to do for this team.

I’m surprised he changed it, but that’s a good sign that he’s noticed what he was doing before wasn’t working.

I still have some question marks around him in terms of whether he’ll be able to scale up and take us forward long term, but right now he’s doing a good job and I’m pleased for him.

I’d love him to be with us for years and take us forward because he’s quite likeable.

He’s organic, he’ll grow, learn and evolve as the team does. :indi:

21 hours ago, HTT II said:

Has there been many doubters and the season hasn’t finished yet, we could still go down. He’s doing a good job right now, better than I expected and I’ve always rated him, but there is and always will be question marks. Right now he’s answering all and any, and so are the players. Long may it continue!

A canny few were calling him a bottler for not starting with Bruno vs Everton.

Had a deeks on a Bournemouth forum to see what they were saying about Wor Eddie.

”The good thing about Ed is that he is also a man with a plan.

He's not a short term fix merchant. The more time he has there, the stronger they will be in the years to come and there aren't too many managers out there of whom you could say the same. If he keeps them up they should go from strength to strength, at least for a few years until the next major blip comes along - like it did here when the players lost interest and he was powerless to turn things around ! That could still happen there but I think he will build a decent squad for the next couple of years, given the chance.

Chuffed for him, hope he keeps them up now.”

Definitely fits in with his short time here. Yeah we didn’t get a “new manager bounce” but he has put a plan in place and it’s now showing signs of working. 

Re the players getting losing interest, a couple of them are mentioning how that was more down to the ceiling Bournemouth have, which isn’t the case here. I reckon his stint out of the game will have helped him too, as we have seen so far here he seems happy enough to learn from his mistakes and make changes. 

Really excited about our future under Howe, we just need to stay up. 

I feel the "first 10 games" stuff is a bit short sighted as it's only looking at the results. We've been playing better since his first match in control, he's phased out the regulars that weren't performing while giving them a chance. If we won against Brentford and Norwich, which we should have and it's hard to blame Howe for those results, it would have looked a lot better and we'd currently be on 25 points sitting 14th in the table. We also played Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City in that spell.

Just my opinion, I've seen positives in all our Howe games bar two. The first was Leicester. They got a free headstart with that pen off the Madison dive (albeit with some dicking about beforeheand by us), but we capitulated second half and gifted them goals with pretty bad errors. The other was Watford, where we threw away two points with that annoying goal. The cross should have been stopped but once it came in, Trippier failed to block his man and he got a clear run at it above Lascelles, who initially looked at fault but was probably taken out by his own man. If you check the Relegationometer thread, there will have been lots of bumps around that Watford game. We just looked incapable of winning. It took the Leeds game to get that monkey off our back.

Every other game has been great, with our midfielders completely transformed and us now racking up wins without Callum Wilson, which would have been unthinkable. The signings we've made look like they've been very astute, and I think we'll only get better.

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Just my opinion, I've seen positives in all our Howe games bar two. The first was Leicester. They got a free headstart with that pen off the Madison dive (albeit with some dicking about beforeheand by us), but we capitulated second half and gifted them goals with pretty bad errors. The other was Watford, where we threw away two points with that annoying goal. The cross should have been stopped but once it came in, Trippier failed to block his man and he got a clear run at it above Lascelles, who initially looked at fault but was probably taken out by his own man. If you check the Relegationometer thread, there will have been lots of bumps around that Watford game. We just looked incapable of winning. It took the Leeds game to get that monkey off our back.

Every other game has been great, with our midfielders completely transformed and us now racking up wins without Callum Wilson, which would have been unthinkable. The signings we've made look like they've been very astute, and I think we'll only get better.

Think the Watford game, whilst frustrating was also down to the mindset of some of the players who immediately and against Howe’s wish went into “protective mode” which ultimately cost us. 

Thankfully we didn’t see that against Everton or Leeds and we weren’t really threatened. Villa to an extent we did, but think the changes forced upon us killed us tbh. Even then though, we defended well and managed the game well. 

21 minutes ago, Menace said:

Absolutely no complaints from me after 3 back to back wins. Is he the man to make us a top 10/top 7 team though? Time will tell.

Yes he can take us top 7. It's after that the questions will start.

I was openly doubtful of Howe up until the last three games and delighted he's turned it around. We don't know how much an input he had into the transfers, we do know he played a part, but Howe and others should be congratulated as we had a very good window in terms of the quality and character of the players we recruited.  The likely partnership of Howe and Ashworth also bodes well as I think they will work together very well.

3 hours ago, Danh1 said:

Had a deeks on a Bournemouth forum to see what they were saying about Wor Eddie.

”The good thing about Ed is that he is also a man with a plan.

He's not a short term fix merchant. The more time he has there, the stronger they will be in the years to come and there aren't too many managers out there of whom you could say the same. If he keeps them up they should go from strength to strength, at least for a few years until the next major blip comes along - like it did here when the players lost interest and he was powerless to turn things around ! That could still happen there but I think he will build a decent squad for the next couple of years, given the chance.

Chuffed for him, hope he keeps them up now.”

Definitely fits in with his short time here. Yeah we didn’t get a “new manager bounce” but he has put a plan in place and it’s now showing signs of working. 

Re the players getting losing interest, a couple of them are mentioning how that was more down to the ceiling Bournemouth have, which isn’t the case here. I reckon his stint out of the game will have helped him too, as we have seen so far here he seems happy enough to learn from his mistakes and make changes. 

Really excited about our future under Howe, we just need to stay up. 

Good read, while most Bournemouth fans will be biased towards Howe because of the amazing job he did there, I’ve always said the best way to find out about a player or manager is by gauging the opinions of those that watch their team week in week out. I think Howe will ultimately hit a ceiling here (hopefully a high one), but before that I do think he will have us challenging for a European place and maybe even in the cups, while playing attractive football, in charge of a group of hard working, spirited players with character and professionalism and under a club he will have helped structure to be most modern in every area on and off the pitch. 

30 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Good read, while most Bournemouth fans will be biased towards Howe because of the amazing job he did there, I’ve always said the best way to find out about a player or manager is by gauging the opinions of those that watch their team week in week out. I think Howe will ultimately hit a ceiling here (hopefully a high one), but before that I do think he will have us challenging for a European place and maybe even in the cups, while playing attractive football, in charge of a group of hard working, spirited players with character and professionalism and under a club he will have helped structure to be most modern in every area on and off the pitch. 

They’re not as biased towards him as you’d think. A lot of them want him to fail here. :lol:

Completely agree though - WBA fans should listen to us re Bruce 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

They’re not as biased towards him as you’d think. A lot of them want him to fail here. :lol:

Completely agree though - WBA fans should listen to us re Bruce 

Wow why do they want him to fail? 

Just now, HTT II said:

Wow why do they want him to fail? 

Not sure tbh - possibly because of the Saudis if I had to guess, only read a few pages of their 72 page thread about our takeover 

For balance, a couple say they could see Howe becoming a “football legend” here 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Not sure tbh - possibly because of the Saudis if I had to guess, only read a few pages of their 72 page thread about our takeover 

For balance, a couple say they could see Howe becoming a “football legend” here 

Ah that would be understandable, but still, me, I’d be rooting for HIM if not NUFC and I hope so, if he keeps us up, he will be a hero just based on that given the mess we were in, still are and the start of the season we had, plus the 14 years of sheer neglect.

Edited by HTT II