Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Ryan Fraser said to NUFCTV that Howe told him to "stop thinking about goals, run for the team first and foremost, give the performance you should give week in and week out, and the goals will come"

Then he talks about the amount of team bonding exercises they do weekly now and how they get to know each other better one-on-one and how you learn to "respect each other more" which means you'll fight for each other more - and how this is all down to Howe.

Fucking love that kind of mentality and love that Howe is bringing that to the club. 'Cause when it works, the lads on the pitch will run through walls for each other and the team.

Super insight into Howe's man management skills, makes me wonder why I still haven't signed up to NUFC TV yet.

What I'm loving most is that we are now running for 90 mins non-stop, and this is all down to the manager. He's even getting Willock busting a gut.

The Bruno cameo at the end where we started to turn it on is a glimpse of what's to come.

Oh, and in the head to head coach battle with Lampard he laid him out cold. Have that you Chelsea mug.

He’s well on the way to sorting out this teams mentality. Frasers post match comments back this up, the philosophy and togetherness is there with a clear recognition of wanting to improve game after game. 

Still obviously a long way to go and some big games coming, but if we maintain our shape and attitude, and add in Bruno, we’re well on our way. 

5 hours ago, Teasy said:

At 2-1 we were looking fragile and likely to concede.  Shelveys's already a ghost in midfield most of the time and couldn't tackle because he was on a yellow and Schar was also booked.  Howe sat on his hands and just seemed scared to make a change. Trippier's goal was the turning point, but it easily could have gone the other way.  Brilliant result, Howe's had a definite positive effect on how we play, obviously his coaching is in a different league to Bruce.  But I don't accept that he got it all right on the night (people saying he's a tactical mastermind.. common).  I think he was indecisive and it could have cost us.

Everton did fuck all up front all night. The players are starting to play for Howe, I'm very happy to see it.

Got full confidence in him, his attitude is first class, we can see all the players improving and a semblance of a footballing style emerging. For me, I always struggle to love our teams when they don’t retain the ball well. We’re definitely improving in that area compared with Bruce. Can’t wait to see Bruno under him transform our midfield 

4 hours ago, Teasy said:

At 2-1 we were looking fragile and likely to concede.  Shelveys's already a ghost in midfield most of the time and couldn't tackle because he was on a yellow and Schar was also booked.  Howe sat on his hands and just seemed scared to make a change. Trippier's goal was the turning point, but it easily could have gone the other way.  Brilliant result, Howe's had a definite positive effect on how we play, obviously his coaching is in a different league to Bruce.  But I don't accept that he got it all right on the night (people saying he's a tactical mastermind.. common).  I think he was indecisive and it could have cost us.

It was a conservative approach in general, yes. I was a bit disappointed that Bruno and Burn didn't start, but on reflection, do you really want to try out a new CB partnership and change the starting midfield in an important game, with players who have only just arrived? Similarly, at 2-1 in such a game, it would take a very brave manager to make a change at that point. 

The game wasn't as one-sided as some are saying, but in the end we looked comfortable. Risks are easier to take when you're not the guy with the responsibility for results, and in the end Howe's professionalism was justified.

I think it was brilliant man management to stick with the same CB pairing and midfield. Most managers would've chosen the easy route and just put all the new signings in the starting 11. I think that he knows that we need quality in key areas but we also need some of the old guys to up their game if we want to stay up.

5 hours ago, Teasy said:

They had a brief spell of possession, but created fuck all. Can't remember Dubravka doing anything at 2-1.

This is one of the worst Everton sides I’ve seen, and that cameo by Alli was shocking. They are all over the place defensively and if it wasn’t for Pickford, it could have been 5 or 6 and even then he was all over the place at times. Could they go down? 

I know it's not perfect considering the mess of postponed games during the period, but the league table since Howe arrived puts us 11th:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:premier-league/daterange/fromdate:2021-Nov-19/todate:2022-Jun-01/type:home-and-away/

Shout out to an Ipswich Town fans' site for having such a handy date feature for a league they're two tiers away from. :notbad:

15 minutes ago, HTT II said:

This is one of the worst Everton sides I’ve seen, and that cameo by Alli was shocking. They are all over the place defensively and if it wasn’t for Pickford, it could have been 5 or 6 and even then he was all over the place at times. Could they go down? 

They won't go down,  definitely 3 worse sides than them when their players come back from injury/get up to match fitness

2 minutes ago, 1964 said:

They won't go down,  definitely 3 worse sides than them when their players come back from injury/get up to match fitness

There were 3 worse sides than us under McLaren when we went down (on paper).

They are in a terrific stink at the moment and probably need 4 wins / 12 points to be safe. Looking at their fixtures and they don't have many (on paper again) easy home games left so they need to pull their collective fingers out pretty damn quickly. Brentford are the ones to drop though, so Everton will be safe unless 2 of the current bottom three put a run together

9 hours ago, Stottie said:

I'm a bit skeptical about the kind of team building organizations like corporations are famous for, I'm sure many of you will have endured them in one form or another, but whatever Eddie Howe is doing, it is clearly working. The fitness and application of the players is better. Their performances have improved.

I put this down to the attention to detail and hard work with which Howe and his staff are applying the methods. Brucey would take the lads off to Portugal etc for the same "team bonding", but it would be an amateur-hour jolly and have no effect on on-field performance. Most of them would look knackered an hour into every game.

Not starting Bruno seemed like a deliberate move, a vote of confidence in the other lads, and was clearly vindicated by the result. They did more than enough to beat the Everton we faced. Bruno's time will come.

Totally agree. I hated those corporate (often embarrassing) team building exercises but I think Eddie (like all top managers) is taking a far more holistic approach. Everything from diet to mental health and everywhere inbetween. You hit the nail on the head comparing Bruce's lads weekend in Portugal with a 5 minute jog on the beach to the highly professionally organised trip to Saudi - it shows how far we have come in a short space of time. The fitness levels have gone up 100% over the past couple of months.

I think he called the Bruno debut perfectly. We know Bruno is going to be a regular but it was a vote of confidence to those players already there and doesn't upset the apple cart.

9 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He did, main ones that were documented were that he went to Atlético Madrid to watch Simeone work and went to Rayo Vallecano to watch Andoni Iraola work, who has got a very small club in Madrid back to La Liga, currently in the top half and in the semi final of the Copa del Rey.

Cheers - I couldn't remember the details and was thinking I was the only one who read about it - it speaks volumes about the man to me.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Here is my hot take. Howe’s results will  overtake Gerrard. As in Gerrard will get progressively worse this season and we will improve. 

I hope you’re right. But I think Gerrard might go a full year from appointment until his team starts to nosedive. 

Gerard seems like a modern-day disciplinarian, who demands a lot and with high standards. Players normally tire of that trick after 2 years; but if he can keep buying new players to integrate and turnover the jaded ones he may keep up the performances a bit longer. 

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Here is my hot take. Howe’s results will  overtake Gerrard. As in Gerrard will get progressively worse this season and we will improve. 

I agree - Gerrard did well in Scotland but you can't compare that to the Premier League. I think over time he will turn out to be a decent middle of the road manager but he's no Pep or Klopp.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Fair point. I think those kind of managers it wears thin quickly, they get those early results but players tire of it and it goes to shit. In terms of trajectory though Howe >>> Gerrard imho. 

Agreed. I think Howe has within his own mind an intricate understanding of the game and how to build a team to play well. It feels like Gerrard has that knowledge in his support staff, not in his own mind.

I would love a journalist to ask Howe whether he fancies one day locking horns with Klopp, Tuchel, Guardiola, and how he feels he compares with them re tactical knowledge and team building. Also I’d love to know whether he thinks there’s a different style of football for succeeding in Europe. 

Hopefully these questions are answered in the next 3-6 years as we rocket up the table and tear it up in Europe under Eddie!

Heard an interesting little bit of info last night via an ex-Bournemouth member of staff. Apparently the notion that Howe is very 'matey' with all of the players is inaccurate. He's 100% improvement and football focussed, very intense, and Tindall does the majority of the friendly, morale building stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Heard an interesting little bit of info last night via an ex-Bournemouth member of staff. Apparently the notion that Howe is very 'matey' with all of the players is inaccurate. He's 100% improvement and football focussed, very intense, and Tindall does the majority of the friendly, morale building stuff. 

I’m sure similar was said on one of the Pod on the Tynes a while ago. Tindall is who the players confide in and speak to when they’re not happy etc.