Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

@Ronaldo touched on it yesterday I think like, but we lack a target up top to hit when we need to bypass midfield. Wood, as shit as he is allowed that last year.

Obviously the money we got for him was too good to turn down, but losing both him and Shelvey will have a much bigger effect on the squad than people realise imo. Howe had no way to change the game yesterday once Gordon was forced off, both would have played a decent part (not saying we would have won like).

he really didnt.

(imho of course).

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Shelvey and Wood get better with every point dropped.

You're completely missing the point. Shelvey is massively underrated but Wood is obviously a shit Premier League striker, as I said in my post.

However Howe never gave him 18 appearance this season for a laugh. If Wilson picks up another injury (or this one is worse than expected) we're left with Isak alone, nobody at all to tactically change things up top (think Keifer Moore vs USA) and an injury away from playing Anthony Gordon as a 9.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 hours ago, arnonel said:

I deliberately don't come on this forum now after a bad result. The knee jerk entitlement is so bad for the mental health.

Not sure what people expect. Destroy every team every week with our robots? 

This team. This team is challenging top 4 and it the final of a cup. This team filled with so many seemingly average players are absolutely smashing it.

Seriously WTF 

Can't we just enjoy the nice things for 1 season!?

This right here, this right here.

Sorry just watched a old freestyle on Charlie Sloth, Charlie said this BTW, not the rapper.

Start of the season top 8th would be the building block of what looks like a bright future ahead. Everyone happy after years of neglect. Yet we are now well within a top 4 finish and a cup final ffs. Sounds silly baring the amount we have spent, pales next to alot but football hey, but it feels alot more organic with a plan in place (not Chelsea). We're going places big time and I'm of the feeling this season will be the best mentally for alot of our hard-core suffering as, within time, it will become diluted naturally as we will be up there year in year out. This season We're punching well above our weight and that's all down to Howe. One loss, which was a robbery on all fronts, no way anyone could have predicted this. Give Howe is dues, who else could have done this and fits so right?

I don't think people are suddenly overrating Shelvey it's just we legit don't have another midfielder to play at the moment. When you play a 3 man midfield with a high intensity style only having 4 options in the whole squad is crazy. We are going into the Liverpool game with only 2 available and one is one card away from a 2 game suspension. 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You're completely missing the point. Shelvey is massively underrated but Wood is obviously a shit Premier League striker, as I said in my post.

However Howe never gave him 18 appearance this season for a laugh. If Wilson picks up another injury (or this one is worse than expected) we're left with Isak alone, nobody at all to tactically change things up top (think Keifer Moor vs Holland) and an injury away from playing Anthony Gordon as a 9.

Wood offers absolutely nothing that Wilson doesn't offer. The only reason he got a sniff I'd because Isak has been injured. It's perfectly normal for a team who play one up top to have two strikers and a number of players who can fill in up there.

I agree we could use an extra body in the middle, but with the passing range of Botman and Schar, Shelvey's role in the side became a bit redundant.

17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

@Ronaldo touched on it yesterday I think like, but we lack a target up top to hit when we need to bypass midfield. Wood, as shit as he is allowed that last year.

Obviously the money we got for him was too good to turn down, but losing both him and Shelvey will have a much bigger effect on the squad than people realise imo. Howe had no way to change the game yesterday once Gordon was forced on, both would have played a decent part (not saying we would have won like).

Promise I’m not just being a contrarian, and I agree with the point in general. However, Wood never looked a competent hold up striker during his time here, nowhere near.

3 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I don't think people are suddenly overrating Shelvey it's just we legit don't have another midfielder to play at the moment. When you play a 3 man midfield with a high intensity style only having 4 options in the whole squad is crazy. We are going into the Liverpool game with only 2 available and one is one card away from a 2 game suspension. 

Worth remembering we have been playing all 4 of those CM options in pretty much every game this season up until Bruno’s ban.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Wood offers absolutely nothing that Wilson doesn't offer. The only reason he got a sniff I'd because Isak has been injured. It's perfectly normal for a team who play one up top to have two strikers and a number of players who can fill in up there.

I agree we could use an extra body in the middle, but with the passing range of Botman and Schar, Shelvey's role in the side became a bit redundant.

Wilson has just picked up his 4-5th injury of the season though. We have no youth strikers so will have to rely on wingers who we're also now short on.

Shelvey's role isn't redundant if we have no other midfielders who are anywhere near as smart in possession. I feel like I'm having to make incredibly obvious points here, like both Shelvey and Wood would fairly obviously be good to have at this moment in time? How is this even debateable?

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Wilson has just picked up his 4-5th injury of the season though. We have no youth strikers so will have to rely on wingers who we're also now short on.

Shelvey's role isn't redundant if we have no other midfielders who are anywhere near as smart in possession. I feel like I'm having to make incredibly obvious points here, like both Shelvey and Wood would fairly obviously be good to have at this moment in time? How is this even debateable?

It really is that simple, that is the exact point.

Edited by SUPERTOON

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Promise I’m not just being a contrarian, and I agree with the point in general. However, Wood never looked a competent hold up striker during his time here, nowhere near.

His hold up play is terrible. You could probably have put any physical striker in his place and got similar or better results.

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

sometimes we just need someone who can create a bit of troubles inside the penalty area.

It doesn’t need to be Wood. We may not be in this shit if we just sign a cheap back up striker or loan someone from abroad during Jan. Same for Shelveys case.

The broad has gone too far imo.

17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

His statistics tell us otherwise though, he won loads in the air. 20p head or not Howe clearly wanted us to target him.

stats?

he won a few (not loads) in the air but very rarely did the ball go to one of our players.

whats the point of that?

5 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

As far as I'm aware, no one is disputing that we are a body light in the middle?

I'm looking forward to us contesting fourth and a League Cup final. The transfer window and the merits of additional signings has been discussed to the Nth degree. If folk want to tediously drag up the same argument every time we drop points them crack on. For me there's far too much to enjoy this season with circling around the one potential negative.

Shelvey isn't match fit and Wood wouldn't be playing, so I don't think it'd make a huge amount of difference.

Im not to bothered about the wood one as I think Gordon is his replacement (Howe said himself we wouldn’t replace wood like for like). Im also not on about the last couple of games where Shelvey wouldn’t have played. Im talking about over the next few weeks/months, having Shelvey (or a Shelvey replacement) as an option would have made the squad stronger considering how short of options we already are in the middle.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Im not to bothered about the wood one as I think Gordon is his replacement (Howe said himself we wouldn’t replace wood like for like). Im also not on about the last couple of games where Shelvey wouldn’t have played. Im talking about over the next few weeks/months, having Shelvey (or a Shelvey replacement) as an option would have made the squad stronger considering how short of options we already are in the middle.

Agreed on the second point. Again though, I've never dispute that we look light in the middle.

This is only being discuss for the 100th time because we've dropped points though.

Agreed on the second point. Again though, I've never dispute that we look light in the middle.

This is only being discuss for the 100th time because we've dropped points though.

I think it’s because everyone can see we are struggling in the middle and more so now with Willock going off injured and Joelinton likely missing 2 games sometime soon. It just seems from the outside looking in that it was a completely avoidable situation that we find ourselves in.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think it’s because everyone can see we are struggling in the middle and more so now with Willock going off injured and Joelinton likely missing 2 games sometime soon. It just seems from the outside looking in that it was a completely avoidable situation that we find ourselves in.

I take your point, but I highly doubt any new player would have seen many minutes over the last few games, granted they may have started v Liverpool if Willock is injured.

More than anything we miss Bruno and he'll be back after the weekend thankfully.

15 minutes ago, huss9 said:

stats?

he won a few (not loads) in the air but very rarely did the ball go to one of our players.

whats the point of that?

Like Shay says, it's about getting the ball up the pitch quickly, we can then set up to either counter-attack (if we win it) or counter-press (if they win it).

Wood also presses well, if you dip into his bi-polar thread everyone on this forum was piping him off for it not too long ago.