Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

22 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

People questioning Howe man, honestly 

The mans helped to take us from the pits of despair to the heights of hope in just over a year, be careful what you wish for lads

No one is wishing anything other than Howe getting the issues going forward sorted, which I think he eventually will. 

We creating chances at the end of the day..isak will likely be a wide man and we'll get a new centre forward in the summer....relax.

We had a wank squad which is going to take another years work but we are in a cracking position, just some more quality need in final 3rd but we will get it.

53 minutes ago, Decky said:

I love Howe and he’s doing a fantastic job but I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s over achieving and we’re now finding our way to where we probably should be. In those draws we dominated (not including Arsenal) and created plenty of chances to win but we just couldn’t score. Now it’s on Howe to persist with Wilson and not try Isak or not work ASM back into the starting 11 again, maybe if he did we’d have won some of those draws but we’ll never know.

Now is Howe’s true test because he must know he needs to change it about up front. Me, I’d try a trio of ASM, Isak and Gordon next weekend. Give Miggy a rest to recharge and just drop Wilson for just being out of form, and maybe he could use the rest aswell to be fair. If he keeps persisting with the same line ups and we keep dropping points he’s going to be getting called out for it and rightly so. 

He probably won't keep persisting with the same line ups though.

41 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

The mans helped to take us from the pits of despair to the heights of hope in just over a year, be careful what you wish for lads

Surely we can criticise some decisions he's made while being delighted at the work he's done in the last year and a half?

Otherwise what's the point in having a forum

It’s really difficult to know how to feel. Because on the one hand, we are going through a hell of a run of games where we have barely scored and haven’t won many. But then we are still playing well for the most part and the players are all still putting a shift in. So it is hard to criticise too much. We have just been lacklustre in front of goal and some sloppy play at the back has resulted in goals against us. 

I do feel we have been over achieving and so many have been playing up to their ceiling and over performing most the season. So if we suddenly started looking shit, didn’t create anything, reverted back to 30% possession. Then it would somehow be easier to accept and realise that we had just hit a purple patch. 

But I just feel like we are not that far off picking up a few results again. A few tweaks here and there are needed, of course. So now with basically a full squad to choose from, bar Joelinton for two games. Howe has to make some tough calls in terms of personnel and maybe even formation. 

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Surely we can criticise some decisions he's made while being delighted at the work he's done in the last year and a half?

Aye nee doubting that, fairs fair nee way im pissing on anyones chips but some of the comments are disproportionate given where we were & where we are now, im nee expert or owt but I do feel strongly Howe is & always has been a perfect fit for where we were & where we will be in 4 / 5 years & I honestly hope its with him in charge as he is a complete gentleman & a magnificent man to shopfront out team.

Anyway I take your point & value it 

12 minutes ago, joeyt said:

By all means criticise, but then that criticism also has to be open to criticism. If it's valid it will hold up over the long term at the end of the day.

58 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Questioning Howe and some of his selection decisions doesn't necessarily mean wishing him gone. Reading most of the comments I'm pretty certain everyone is saying what they're saying with the context of what Howe has done in the last year or so firmly in mind, even if they didn't explicitly mention it in their posts.

I think most in this thread have highlighted similar issues around selection and are hoping he makes a few changes to freshen things up after a difficult few months. It looks and feels like a few of them could do with a rest and given we've got a £62m striker and a fit-again Targett on the bench as well as today being much more suited to Maxi than next week probably will be, I think questions over why he won't sit Wilson, Almiron or Burn down for a period are very valid.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

By all means criticise, but then that criticism also has to be open to criticism. If it's valid it will hold up over the long term at the end of the day.

It’s a simple concept, but there are always a few that create this 1984 like straw forum that ruthlessly squashes their brave  views. That is the irritating part.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

Questioning Howe and some of his selection decisions doesn't necessarily mean wishing him gone. Reading most of the comments I'm pretty certain everyone is saying what they're saying with the context of what Howe has done in the last year or so firmly in mind, even if they didn't explicitly mention it in their posts.

I think most in this thread have highlighted similar issues around selection and are hoping he makes a few changes to freshen things up after a difficult few months. It looks and feels like a few of them could do with a rest and given we've got a £62m striker and a fit-again Targett on the bench as well as today being much more suited to Maxi than next week probably will be, I think questions over why he won't sit Wilson, Almiron or Burn down for a period are very valid.

Fair point,  in my useless opinion I feel Eddies a better judge of his players than many Newcastle fans, in any event we need to catch ourselves on where we are, where we were & where we will be in 5 / 10 years, its all a process & I appreciate that, many want / need (me included at my age) instant success, trophies, new stands etc

I hope I live long enough to see us lift a trophy, win the premier league & compete at the highest level in Europe, Im not in control of that but im a lot more confident of being in contention that I was 18 months ago 

6 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Can’t really disagree with this. Most of the comments are fine. People questioning his decisions was never really my issue. Basically what TRon said.

Howe does deserve massive credit. Usually we take an absolute cunting at the Etihad. Not only did we limit City today, but we could have earned a result had we taken out chances. It shows that the big picture is decent, but the dearth of goals is no longer a short term problem.

I think a few things factor into it: i) we're a team that lacks goal scorers. Today isn't the first time chances have fallen to Longstaff and Joelinton, who are both poor in the box. Generally speaking we don't have many players capable of chipping in with 10 goals a season; ii) confidence in front of goal is low. It seems to have got to the point where the likes of Almiron and Wilson no longer believe they're going to score when they're presented with a decent opportunity; iii) the one that Howe has most control over, player selection. It's difficult to say he's got it wrong, when we aren't privy to the reasoning, but holding back Isak and ASM in certain games seems rather bizarre given the goal scoring form of others.

Edited by The Prophet

Got no doubt Howe will turn this blip around if you can even call it that. We’ve lost to 3 top clubs and can’t say we’ve really been outplayed by any of them.

My only reservation with Howe is his transfer record and preferring expensive young British players, or so called PL ready players. I’ve got no doubt about his coaching ability, but think he’ll have to be prepared to take risks on foreign imports such as Bruno if we’re really going to challenge the top teams. I don’t think the Gordon’s and the likes of the young lad from

Bristol City will get us to the next level and that’s going to be the challenge.

We got heavily linked with the likes of Calvert Lewin and Connor Gallagher in the Jan window and for me these just won’t take us to the next level. The owners will want progress every season, I just hope Eddie is brave and is prepared to take a gamble as a lot of these British players are over rated and poor value for money.

9 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Got no doubt Howe will turn this blip around if you can even call it that. We’ve lost to 3 top clubs and can’t say we’ve really been outplayed by any of them.

My only reservation with Howe is his transfer record and preferring expensive young British players, or so called PL ready players. I’ve got no doubt about his coaching ability, but think he’ll have to be prepared to take risks on foreign imports such as Bruno if we’re really going to challenge the top teams. I don’t think the Gordon’s and the likes of the young lad from

Bristol City will get us to the next level and that’s going to be the challenge.

We got heavily linked with the likes of Calvert Lewin and Connor Gallagher in the Jan window and for me these just won’t take us to the next level. The owners will want progress every season, I just hope Eddie is brave and is prepared to take a gamble as a lot of these British players are over rated and poor value for money.

As if Howe will be responsible for our signings.

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I agree generally, though plenty of the Engish / British players are; the problem is that European football competitions have a homegrown quota.  That’s why the big clubs spunk daft sums on young English players who then rot on their bench for half a decade before they wash up in the lower reaches of the PL / second division.  If Gordon is Croatian, Polish or Portuguese he’s a £15-20m player - you pay a significant uplift on young local talent.  But you also have to do that - and to be fair, Howe is someone as likely as anyone to sculpt them into the best player they can be. 

I am writing this with care and caution as I know I am an outsider.

There isn't a manager out there who is above questioning or discussion, I totally get that. We have similar discussions about our own manager. But from the outside looking in, what Howe has done in a short period of time is absolutely transformational.

I think there has been - not on here necessary, but in the media in general - a degree of prematurity in that it's not being in the top four halfway through the season that gets you into the CL, it's what happens half a season later. I wonder if expectations have been tinted by that wider discussion?

What I think is most impressive is that, yeah, you have spent some money - although after years of spending nothing under a wanker of an owner - but I don't think what you've achieved in a short time is about spending, it is about excellent coaching.

Look at some of the names on your team sheet and look what you've achieved this season - these are (some of them) players who absolutely would not get into the teams of the clubs you are bothering this season, some of them are players who have underwhelmed even by your own recent standards, but what Howe has got out of these is nothing but remarkable.

Yeah, he'll make a ton of mistakes still and there will be ups and downs because you are a club and a team going through a transformation, and it's just not that easy to do quickly, regardless of how much cash you have (and even with that, it's not as easy to buy rapid advancement as Man City did 10+ years ago anymore).

This is almost exactly the same discourse we have - we have weirdness like winning away almost every time, but then shipping four at home to Leicester, and it's because it's a work in progress, which is exactly what you are.

I am not in any way at all saying there is anything wrong in questioning the manager - I'd say the same about our manager, and I am an outsider here so have no right to be telling you anything - but I think if you take a step back and look at the huge advancement in such a short period of time, the manager has definitely earned the right to make his own mistakes.

16 minutes ago, brummie said:

I am writing this with care and caution as I know I am an outsider.

There isn't a manager out there who is above questioning or discussion, I totally get that. We have similar discussions about our own manager. But from the outside looking in, what Howe has done in a short period of time is absolutely transformational.

I think there has been - not on here necessary, but in the media in general - a degree of prematurity in that it's not being in the top four halfway through the season that gets you into the CL, it's what happens half a season later. I wonder if expectations have been tinted by that wider discussion?

What I think is most impressive is that, yeah, you have spent some money - although after years of spending nothing under a wanker of an owner - but I don't think what you've achieved in a short time is about spending, it is about excellent coaching.

Look at some of the names on your team sheet and look what you've achieved this season - these are (some of them) players who absolutely would not get into the teams of the clubs you are bothering this season, some of them are players who have underwhelmed even by your own recent standards, but what Howe has got out of these is nothing but remarkable.

Yeah, he'll make a ton of mistakes still and there will be ups and downs because you are a club and a team going through a transformation, and it's just not that easy to do quickly, regardless of how much cash you have (and even with that, it's not as easy to buy rapid advancement as Man City did 10+ years ago anymore).

This is almost exactly the same discourse we have - we have weirdness like winning away almost every time, but then shipping four at home to Leicester, and it's because it's a work in progress, which is exactly what you are.

I am not in any way at all saying there is anything wrong in questioning the manager - I'd say the same about our manager, and I am an outsider here so have no right to be telling you anything - but I think if you take a step back and look at the huge advancement in such a short period of time, the manager has definitely earned the right to make his own mistakes.

Absolutely nailed it.