Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

51 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

There could of course be a perfectly good reason why Isak isn't starting. We don't have the benefit of seeing him train, analysis from sports scientists, physios etc.

It does seem very strange from an outsider looking in, but we can only speculate whether it's the right or the wrong call.

It’s very clearly the wrong call. We’re losing games because we’re not scoring and Wilson has been our worst starter for a while now. Not rocket science.

Eddie's still got everything spot on, 90% off premier league managers will go to Man City and not get a result, they're favourites to win the league nearly every season, we have a long term plan, if that's the start of how we are going to go to places like Man City and approach the game, then in time with the right players, I'm sure we will give them a much tougher time. All sides go through a tough spell, we weren't really targeting the top four this season if we are honest, and I'm absolutely positive after saving the club from relegation the season before, Amanda didn't sit down with Eddie and say we need top four the following season, more like top 10, so in fairness to Howe we're totally over achieving, with a league cup final and a potential top 6 finish? Even if we dropped right off, and ended up around 8th, off the back of what he's achieved in such a small period of time is incredible. Howe is 100% the guy to get this thing back on track, I have complete faith in the man.

And the players form will dip over the course of the season it happens in all clubs, Chelsea are in a right mess at the minute, so just spending and spending achieves nothing, they can't score goals at the minute either. I believe the likes of Wilson will find a way out of this, I think we stick with him, I always imagined our front three would be ASM,Wilson,Isak maybe Eddie would test that and we might start firing again, I dont know, but i do think he'll find a way to get the guys going again. We've come a huge way in no time, and its ramped up expectations. 

Keep the faith  ?◼◻◼◻◼ ??

15 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

It’s very clearly the wrong call. We’re losing games because we’re not scoring and Wilson has been our worst starter for a while now. Not rocket science.

Based on what we're seeing on the pitch it certainly seems strange. We're not privy to what's going on off it though.

Obviously that doesn't fit the "everything Howe has done of late has been wrong, wahhhh" narrative though :thup:

I did think Isak and ASM should have started because there was always going to be space to exploit for them both but I don't really think it'd have changed too much of a difference results wise. 

We created 4 good chances without them and that's more than you'd normally need (or even get) in these types of games.

Ultimately though, as I've said in a different thread, better players will make better runs, have better touches, make better decisions and passes as well as cross and finish better and it will be the culmination of those micro actions which will get us over the line in these games in the future.

Edited by Thumbheed

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yes, Almiron is the core problem to me at the moment. We're too formulaic and he's Mr Formula.

Despite this he's the only one to score two or more since the World Cup in the PL. Easy scapegoat I think, we're missing a helluva lot of straightforward chances and that's not on Almiron.

Agreed on the chances, but he's not the one creating those chances despite being in a critical team role, and think I'm right in saying his shooting rate has halved since the world cup i.e. the methods we/he had for getting him into dangerous situations have been sussed.

If we're sticking with the same formation, which I don't particularly think we should, I'd try Gordon there. Or ASM if we were swapping things up.

Edited by 80

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Despite this he's the only one to score two or more since the World Cup in the PL. Easy scapegoat I think, we're missing a helluva lot of straightforward chances and that's not on Almiron.

Him not willing to use his right foot is a huge hindrance

15 hours ago, TRon said:

By all means criticise, but then that criticism also has to be open to criticism. If it's valid it will hold up over the long term at the end of the day.

I get the criticism being open to critising but don’t criticise the criticism for the sake of criticising (my apologies, just really wanted to post that).

44 minutes ago, Kanji said:

The unpredictability of Isak and Maximin are exactly what we need tbh. Almiron and Wilson are the two who need a rest. 

Agreed - forgot which game it was but the two of them really started to play well together and I’d like it to be given a chance for a few games.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Agreed - forgot which game it was but the two of them really started to play well together and I’d like it to be given a chance for a few games.

Southampton away in the cup, they came on and completely changed the game.

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Him not willing to use his right foot is a huge hindrance

It's not the reason Wilson can't score for shit, why Joelinton goes to pieces in the box along with the numerous other chances we've been missing. Chances created haven't been the issue, one foot or two feet.

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's not the reason Wilson can't score for shit, why Joelinton goes to pieces in the box along with the numerous other chances we've been missing. Chances created haven't been the issue, one foot or two feet.

I don't get the notion that we're creating a boatload of chances that our attackers are missing

Wilson selectionis getting a lot of criticism and rightly. We're creating some chances but certainly not loads. And part of the problem is Almiron

Changing the subject a bit, I was struck by the reports of our supporters tidying up after themselves in Trafalgar Square after the final. There may have been a bit of hype. but regardless it's uncharacteristic behaviour from a large group of fans.

Our 12 year old grand-daughter was going to an important audition at a stage school near Euston Square, and I was quite anxious for her, because she had witnessed a violent incident not long ago, and is still quite sensitive to aggressive, loud atmospheres. I helped her parents devise a route for her which might avoid the potential trouble areas. However, she did see loads of supporters, and actually found it all quite exhilarating and fun. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves in a relaxed way. Again, I don't know if that's typical.

But anyway, this has got me wondering today whether our manager is having an influence in some unconscious, subliminal way. He presents as well-mannered, thoughful and considerate. Is something of that rubbing off on us all?

Maybe it's just because of the success we're having, but it's also noticeable that since Eddie took charge, people on here are treating each other a bit more gently. 

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Murphy and Willock put in more dangerous balls yesterday than Almiron has for ages

Murphy has been doing that off the bench for a few games now - I’ve been impressed with him.

9 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I don't get the notion that we're creating a boatload of chances that our attackers are missing

Wilson selectionis getting a lot of criticism and rightly. We're creating some chances but certainly not loads. And part of the problem is Almiron

That's the thing. We are creating chances, but we don't look lethal at all. We're trying to cause death by a thousand cuts, which can and has worked, but our opponents appear to have learned about blood transfusions so it's not working now.

39 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Honestly think the narrative that our poor form is purely due to chances being missed is overblown, on here and elsewhere.

It's a significant factor no doubt, but truthfully our play has declined post world cup on many registers. The intensity of the press isn't there to the same extent, our attacking play is pretty pedestrian and very predictable, with the ball worked to the right for the same passing routines to be used etc. There's a major structural issue with creativity which is observable every time we face a low block team. 

Looking at chances missed also ignores the quality of chances, the context of those chances in terms of the progression of play etc. 

It's become a bit of a cop out IMO. 

Edited by Barnes23

49 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Agreed, we have only really created clear cut ones against Liverpool and city as well as they have been wide open. We hardly created much in the games against the likes of Palace and Bournemouth and the games we have coming up are going to be similar to these sides.

Disagree its overblown.  We  are having 4 or 5 good chances to score every game (bar odd few) and reason we lose is because we miss them.  Pretty simple tbh

Edited by Slim