Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

6 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Things our manager used to say a decade or so ago:

When you look at the teams now and the money that’s being spent, you have to be honest and say it’s going to be difficult replicating that fifth-place finish.

[Southampton] have a huge catchment area and it's a different type of catchment area. There is a big working-class community down there but there are also a lot of middle-class kids who have good educations. The players who come out of Southampton are quite intelligent and there might be something in that. We have to put more intelligence into our players here.

Four defeats for Newcastle is going to bring its own pressure. I don’t think the local press have helped.

I don’t really care if Arsenal win 4-0 [next weekend], if I’m honest. I’m sure Spurs will, but I only care that our fans enjoy themselves.

And very topical:

I'd have felt really confident going into this period of the season if I had my full squad available but I haven't

Just watching the presser. Christ are the dopes like Ryder ever gonna stop asking "eee I bet ya never thought you'd be in the Champions League when you first arrived/when you were in League 2 with Bournemouth?"

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Just watching the presser. Christ are the dopes like Ryder ever gonna stop asking "eee I bet ya never thought you'd be in the Champions League when you first arrived/when you were in League 2 with Bournemouth?"

Did he actually ask a question this time? He normally just rattles off some weird observation or statement then waits for a reaction. 

That little slaphead clown Luke Edwards, at the press conference wasn't interested in the Dortmund game and questions on that subject, instead wanted to try and be amusing with his arriving on time to the presser, then desperate to stir the pot further regarding Arteta, then moved onto Lascelles and the handshake. He's such a fucking troll, does my nut in.

13 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

That little slaphead clown Luke Edwards, at the press conference wasn't interested in the Dortmund game and questions on that subject, instead wanted to try and be amusing with his arriving on time to the presser, then desperate to stir the pot further regarding Arteta, then moved onto Lascelles and the handshake. He's such a fucking troll, does my nut in.

Thrives on the antagonistic, negative angle,. Parasite!

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Eddie’s unique take on not travelling to European games until the day of the game needs knocking on the head.  There’s a reason no other manager does this. 

They arrived yesterday.

28 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Got a lot wrong today but even he is learning at this level. i didn't feel like we needed that drastic change of formation and set-up considering how well we've been playing, it took away a lot of what we did good and exposed us.

I think the logic was there in what he wanted to do; the plan was to keep it as tight as possible and let the home fans get vocally frustrated which was likely after the weekend. Then as the game went on and became more end to end, we bring on our direct attackers.

We talk about the players learning from this experience, which they obviously will, but I think wor Eddie's had a bit of a lesson too. Not being overly critical, he's exceptional, and it's a new experience for him, but he's been tactically outdone three times out of four so far. Goodness knows how many times he moved the various pegs around tonight, but Dortmund still came out of it with barely a hair out of place. Limited by the selection troubles of course but we haven't had an answer in 180 minutes of football there. 

The great thing is you know he'll make the best of it and adapt. It's not too late this year either.

41 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Got a lot wrong today but even he is learning at this level. i didn't feel like we needed that drastic change of formation and set-up considering how well we've been playing, it took away a lot of what we did good and exposed us.

What did he get wrong? You do realise we have no players who are fit and the ones that are fit are totally overloaded. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

What did he get wrong? You do realise we have no players who are fit and the ones that are fit are totally overloaded. 

In trying to drastically change the way we played, we saw against Man Utd in the cup that we have a style of play that works regardless of personal, trying to play a completely different tactic today threw a few of our players off.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Was thinking exactly this. He basically picked whoever was fit. Not a lot he could have done different. Saying he got it wrong tonight has baffled me slightly.

We've not been embarrassed in either game

They were the better side in the first half of both games

We were much better in the 2nd half of the first game and slightly better in this one

Wilson takes his chance in the first and Joelinton takes his in the 2nd and we probably get a result, such fine margins 

The squad is very stretched so he's limited as to what he could do. He's performing miracles really.