Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, madras said:

Do you think Barnes and Gordon were meant to battle for the one position ? Was Tonali merely meant to be a Longstaff upgrade ?

I do, yeah. Both Gordon and Barnes have played on the left the majority of the careers at their previous clubs and in the 7 matches Barnes has been available for he has only started with Gordon once and has only shared the pitch with him for 98 minutes out of 630.

I thought Tonali was a signing to take pressure off Bruno and rotate with him with the extra games that came with the CL.

6 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Well from our perspective he has credit. Unfortunately from an owners point of view credit runs out a lot quicker than it builds. Like it or not 5 defeats in 6 will have questions started to be asked. The January window will show if PIF actually have the same faith as most of us

I'll have big qualms about them if they don't tbh.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Aye you're relying on both of them being very sharp and clinical. Neither are creators. I think the primary plan was to jobshare.

I think so too. That’s why I wasn’t fond of the Barnes signing with Gordon here already. Especially when the RW hasn’t been sorted out which should have been the prior for me over another leftie. 

2 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

It isn't out-of position man ffs Gordon can play Rw. Stick some are given howe after the fact is beyond a joke.

But he isn’t a RW despite him being able to fill in there. That’s the point, I’m saying we should have spent the money on a genuine RW. Fair enough if you don’t agree but I think we will continue to struggle until that position is upgraded.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It felt like the summer was just as much about squad planning to navigate the long season, as well as improving the first team.

As it's played out we've had a long term plan, a freak injury and a player who isn't perhaps as ready as we though, so we've only felt the benefit of Livramento.

Said it at the time, there are different ways to improve your chances. You can either sign a couple of amazing players for the first team or increase the overall quality of the squad. 

TBH I think we did do a bit of both. With Tonali (and maybe Gordon) the clear upgrade and the others the bulking agents.

In reality I think neither approach would have worked with the amount of absentees we’ve had. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye before the injury Barnes & Gorfon barely played together. If the plan was to start them both - we were hiding it!

It's a doubling down on Howe-ball.

Livra and Hall - I don't think were his signings. Hesitant to use both of them.

Hall didn’t have a pre-season even for Chelsea.

Livra didn’t have much of one either.  You’re really reaching here, can only assume to fit a narrative which puts Howe in a bad light.

2 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

This. They'd have been starting and if all fit no one would have been questioning Howe on these signings. Easy to slate him after injuries.

Maybe he was affected by the off the pitch stuff but there were a lot of questions about Tonali's performances before he was suspended.

There were also signs of similar issues with teams waltzing through our midfield with ease before we were beset with injuries and fatigue.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

But he isn’t a RW despite him being able to fill in there. That’s the point, I’m saying we should have spent the money on a genuine RW. Fair enough if you don’t agree but I think we will continue to struggle until that position is upgraded.

I love Eddie Howe and honestly think he played the summer window well mate. If these players had have been fit and not suspended it would be a complete different story.

Just now, WideopenMag said:

I love Eddie Howe and honestly think he played the summer window well mate. If these players had have been fit and not suspended it would be a complete different story.

Fair enough, I agree we would have been in a much better position but think a genuine RW should have been our priority. It’s the only position we haven’t directly upgraded since the takeover. I think we will spend big on it in the summer.

5 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Hmm

Not so sure I like the sound of that tbh. Difficult to say when you don't hear the quote itself but it could be construed as his challenging his players to step it up. He's also got to be accountable for results and performances too, I hope he's not pushing it all on the players as that rarely ends up working out well for managers

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Fair enough, I agree we would have been in a much better position but think a genuine RW should have been our priority. It’s the only position we haven’t directly upgraded since the takeover. I think we will spend big on it in the summer.

If we'd had been able to start Barnes-Isak-Gordon

Joelinton-bruno- tonali

Wed be laughing I think.  

Just now, midds said:

Not so sure I like the sound of that tbh. Difficult to say when you don't hear the quote itself but it could be construed as his challenging his players to step it up. He's also got to be accountable for results and performances too, I hope he's not pushing it all on the players as that rarely ends up working out well for managers

I haven't heard the interview but from that quote I interpret that as he has picked a team to do a job, the coaches have done their side of the deal but the players haven't delivered.

Just now, WideopenMag said:

If we'd had been able to start Barnes-Isak-Gordon

Joelinton-bruno- tonali

Wed be laughing I think.  

Still think we would struggle against low blocks. Very good in transitions though.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Yup. Bullshit quotes. Irony being everyone ready to allow him to spend his banked credit.

You might as well just admit you want him out at this point.  Same yourself some time and trouble.