Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

We obviously need a bigger squad but even then it doesn't prevent injury crises. Who could have possibly foreseen a crisis like ours?

It's been unreal, and came about in the very worst period of the season,  and I'm sure you have seen some of our benches in recent weeks, right? 

So I can't comprehend how it can't be a legitimate excuse? Immediately throwing players into the first 11 when they are just back from injury because we have no one else.

Surprised anyone would expect it's all on the manager.  

It seems Howe's failing for some on here is wanting to win every game in every competition.

I’m going to just hop off this thread.  People are getting far too defensive. 

I never said it’s all on the manager - it isn’t.  I have seen the bench in recent weeks - which is why I wrote that he hasn’t now got much of a choice.

That doesn’t mean that the manger is completely blameless.  He has a footballing approach which is likely to lead to fatigue and injuries, and he didn’t develop either an amended plan A (and no plan B).  It’s not all bad luck

Just now, Yorkie said:

:lol: "The fatigue excuse has to stop now." Now. It was a fine excuse before. But now they're even more exhausted I don't want to hear it any more. Some logic, that. Get Ritchie on, Eddie, do some fucking managing. And that gadgie from the academy, whichever one. Anyone. 

Seriously, you don’t think it’s a manager’s job to manage the energy levels of his squad? If they’re knackered, do something different. If you can’t do something different, you’re not a very good manager. 
Are the players fatigued? Yes. Should we just accept that we’re going to lose every game until they get some energy back? Fuck no. Fucking manage it! It’s not an unreasonable thing to suggest a manager should have more than one trick in his playbook. 

7 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

There's absolutely no way sitting back at 1-1 against Forest would've been acceptable at home to 'conserve energy'. We went for it to try to kill the game early and we had the lion's share of possession to manage tempo and energy, as we have done in lots of matches recently. We should've resigned it in a bit but it's the right idea and served us very well at home for years.

Regardless of whatever tactical approach is taken, it's going to need a level of energy to win duels, territory, battles. There's no successful team around that doesn't do this, this isn't walking football.

You don't have to sit back, just make it so our defence isn't left exposed time and again to their rapid forwards who are licking their lips at just that prospect. We are 1-0 up at that stage, it's them that needs the next goal, not us.

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Seriously, you don’t think it’s a manager’s job to manage the energy levels of his squad? If they’re knackered, do something different. If you can’t do something different, you’re not a very good manager. 
Are the players fatigued? Yes. Should we just accept that we’re going to lose every game until they get some energy back? Fuck no. Fucking manage it! It’s not an unreasonable thing to suggest a manager should have more than one trick in his playbook. 

So how do we manage it then?

Edited by The Prophet

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

He's set them up more passively and it hasn't worked. You could argue that that's no defence -  because it demonstrates his inability to implement a tactical setup which differs from his preferred one - but the stuff about "no Plan B" is horseshit. We've tried something different but broadly speaking the squad hasn't had the time on the training pitch (or off the treatment table) to implement it effectively. 

Just now, Holmesy said:

He has tried to manage it.

Which is why they haven't trained properly in a month. Because if he attempted to, they would be even more fucked. 

Results have suffered as a result, and it's all because he wants to still win games, with the players who can achieve that.  It's commendable in my opinion.

Albeit the opposition is always fresher & more prepared.  Since, again, we can't train at normal levels.  Every game in the PL is difficult, there are no gimmes.

And to his credit, he refuses to use it as an excuse.  Just wants to get on with it.

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

He has tried to manage it.

Which is why they haven't trained properly in a month. Because if he attempted to, they would be even more fucked. 

Results have suffered as a result, and it's all because he wants to still win games, with the players who can achieve that.  It's commendable in my opinion.

Albeit the opposition is always fresher & more prepared.  Since, again, we can't train at normal levels.  Every game in the PL is difficult, there are no gimmes.

And to his credit, he refuses to use it as an excuse.  Just wants to get on with it.

He literally used it as an excuse in his post match interview.  Otherwise why raise it?

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

You don't have to sit back, just make it so our defence isn't left exposed time and again to their rapid forwards who are licking their lips at just that prospect. We are 1-0 up at that stage, it's them that needs the next goal, not us.

Maybe bring Hall on to deal with Elanga’s pace, go 5 at the back and give ourselves greater numbers to mitigate the counter attack. There are loads of tactical tweaks that could’ve been made, but we just let them run right through us time after time, pushing EVERYONE forward and leaving ourselves vulnerable to the counter. It isn’t a groundbreaking suggestion to say the manager should make in game changes in reaction to what we’re all seeing.

14 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Again, I pin that on the manager. This season has highlighted a glaring glitch in EH’s matrix. If he can’t execute plan A, there’s nothing. Yes, he’s been unlucky with injuries, really unlucky but I’d expect a top class manager to be able to chess game his way out of it, to a degree. 
Have we all just got to accept that because players are tired and we have an injury list, we aren’t winning games? 

I would say we have to accept these are major factors in making it harder to win football matches at least.

7 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Please tell me you have no level of responsibility for juniors or safety, in whatever you do for a job. Maybe what needs to "just be fucking managed" is your fucking expectations

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: "The fatigue excuse has to stop now." Now. It was a fine excuse before. But now they're even more exhausted I don't want to hear it any more. Some logic, that. Get Ritchie on, Eddie, do some fucking managing. And that gadgie from the academy, whichever one. Anyone. 

It's so ironic people are tired of the fatigue excuse [emoji38]

Imagine a player not having any recovery time or just back from injury and being asked to perform at their best.

Just now, Holmesy said:

I don’t know, but it isn’t my job. EH is being paid £millions to manage a very ambitious, well run PL team. 

So to conclude, we can't use fatigue as an excuse because Howe should be able manage the fatigue even though there is no obvious solution? 

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Please tell me you have no level of responsibility for juniors or safety, in whatever you do for a job. Maybe what needs to "just be fucking managed" is your fucking expectations

I’m not a football manager mate. What a ridiculous thing to say.

I am held accountable for the team members I lead in my line of work, and if I go into a board meeting and say campaign A didn’t work because the team isn’t equipped, so we’re going to carry on running campaign A with the same team but expect different results, I would be fired. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

So to conclude, we can't use fatigue as an excuse because Howe should be able manage the fatigue even though there is no obvious solution? 

That’s why he gets paid millions of pounds, to be better than a one trick pony.

Love the absolute confidence listing all the things Howe has done wrong and the oh so obvious tweaks to fix them. As if Eddie Howe isn't going to be working with quite a bit more information than the members of Newcastle Online in making decisions.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

That’s why he gets paid millions of pounds, to be better than a one trick pony.

Maybe just try and appreciate the job he has done over the last 2 years or so and just enjoy it. A few bad results shouldn’t have people on his back. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He literally used it as an excuse in his post match interview.  Otherwise why raise it?

He said that to a question about how the team can get back on track or something along those lines from what I recall. 

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Maybe bring Hall on to deal with Elanga’s pace, go 5 at the back and give ourselves greater numbers to mitigate the counter attack. There are loads of tactical tweaks that could’ve been made, but we just let them run right through us time after time, pushing EVERYONE forward and leaving ourselves vulnerable to the counter. It isn’t a groundbreaking suggestion to say the manager should make in game changes in reaction to what we’re all seeing.

Yep. If you go down to 10 men you wouldn't expect the manager just to carry on as we were still playing with 11. You'd take off a striker more than likely and go more compact otherwise you'd get torn to shreds. Same goes for when your team is exhausted or not physically equipped to deal with a rapid front three on the counter.

Edited by TRon

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Maybe just try and appreciate the job he has done over the last 2 years or so and just enjoy it. A few bad results shouldn’t have people on his back. 

I do. It has been an amazing ride and as always, you have to take the rough with the smooth - just look at Man City recently. But I’m not the kind of person to just blindly celebrate someone as an infallible messiah. I believe EH’s limitations are costing us results and I think it’s something we should discuss. As always I’m happy to be corrected