Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, High Five o said:

Such a mental take to suggest replacing Howe at this stage.

First real dip in form after the worst injury crisis I can remember.

Going by some posters here and X it looks like we should change managers every 6 months. I am sure they would call for Peps head if we where in manc situation as well?

Since Allardyce, every manager has had an easy ride from match-goers (other than when Pardew was made to sit back down one game) so you'd like to think inside the ground he's given time.

Would be absolutely bollocks if the fans who sat on their arses saying nowt through the dark days, pipe up now when we've never had it as good in the last 20 years.

Social media, forums, etc is a different kettle of fish. 

10 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

For the people saying it’s Howe’s fault they are burned out, what would you have done differently ? Genuine question, because other than swapping a fullback what other options has he had ?

I wouldnt use anyone from the A-team in the league cup the first year we entered champions league.

I would fill the squad up with only players he can actually use before the season started.

I would give youngsters opportunities when it turned out we had a lot of injuries instead of playing Almiron, Gordon, Trippier etc 2x90mins a week.

This has only resulted in them being shit in every game. 

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Since Allardyce, every manager has had an easy ride from match-goers (other than when Pardew was made to sit back down one game) so you'd like to think inside the ground he's given time.

Would be absolutely bollocks if the fans who sat on their arses saying nowt through the dark days, pipe up now when we've never had it as good in the last 20 years.

Social media, forums, etc is a different kettle of fish. 

It is mental that anyone could honestly seriously think he needs moving on right now in probably his first real crisis point with a severe dip in form coupled with a load of injuries. He’ll get the rest of this season at absolutely the very least and probably next season. 

That being said some of the stuff yesterday was odd in terms of how the game was managed with tactics, the mismatch of Burn v Elanga, how open our midfield was, playing such a high line against Forest when we were getting done for pace. We also look devoid of ideas in the final 3rd at the moment and it’s like he’s struggling to find a plan B to manage the situation. The midfield needs sorting particular as the defence looks so shaky. If they’re not going to buy a defensive midfielder someone needs to do that role more obviously for me. We’re getting completely overrun in misfield at the moment. 

I do think January is very important to freshen things up a bit and give him some more options as well as keeping the other players on their toes particular as injured players don’t look like they’re back until well into or the end of next month. It looks like the Derby is now becoming a key fixture because if he loses that it really could bring the mood of the club right down for the rest of the season which might mean a grim hangover.

He's absolutely earned the right for patience from the fans and board given what he’s done already but constructive criticism is also perfectly fair looking at recent results. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I’ll be concerned if the form continues when there’s only 1 game a week, however I’m convinced things will start to turn around once we get through all these games and there’s a bigger gaps between games for players to rest.

Considering there’s been a game every 3-5 days I do think Howe has been pretty naive in expecting the same players to execute the high-risk tactical strategy with fatigued players. It reminds me so much of what Bielsa did at Leeds, and we know how that ended. 

He’s been dealt an awful card re injuries etc but he probably needed to come up with a different approach for the amount of games there has been. The Liverpool game will be brutal if he adopts the same strategy. Personally, I’d like to see keep it tight and just frustrate them. 

That said, I’m desperate for Howe to learn from it. He’s been wonderful for this club and I actually enjoy watching the games now. He’s been a massive success and is quite easily the best english manager around.

I’m hoping everyone can get behind him but admit it that will test a lot of people if we don’t win at the mackems 

Edited by JoeyBartoon

3 minutes ago, JoeyBartoon said:

I’ll be concerned if the form continues when there’s only 1 game a week, however I’m convinced things will start to turn around once we get through all these games and there’s a bigger gaps between games for players to rest.

Considering there’s been a game every 3-5 days I do think Howe has been pretty naive in expecting the same players to execute the high-risk tactical strategy with fatigued players. It reminds me so much of what Bielsa did at Leeds, and we know how that ended. 

He’s been dealt an awful card re injuries etc but he probably needed to come up with a different approach for the amount of games there has been. The Liverpool game will be brutal if he adopts the same strategy. Personally, I’d like to see keep it tight and just frustrate them. 

That said, I’m desperate for Howe to learn from it. He’s been wonderful for this club and I actually enjoy watching the games now. He’s been a massive success and is quite easily the best english manager around.

I’m hoping everyone can get behind him but admit it that will test a lot of people if we don’t win at the mackems 

He looks almost as jaded as the players on the sidelines at the moment. As you say I think the extra training time now will be vital to work on things going wrong. If they can beat the Mackems, give everyone a lift, get a few Jan signings in and some players back things will turn I’m confident. 

51 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Mental reading this thread as an outsider. :lol:

My thoughts:

Are you in poor form? Yes.

Is fatigue/injuries to blame? Yes.

Should Howe also take blame? Yes.

Should Howe be sacked? Only if you're a fucking mentalist. 

The guy took over a relegation threatened side and has had four windows, one of which you were signing players like Chris Wood just to stay up. We realistically shouldn't even be talking about Newcastle breaking into the top four yet, yet you finished fourth in his first full season in charge.

He's a victim of his own success.

It takes a fucking Man United fan to be the voice of reason. 

You lot should be ashamed.:lol:

Thankfully, it's a moron minority.

Just now, STM said:

We're in a similar enough situation I feel. It's easy to resonate. :lol:

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Sorry, who is ‘you lot’?  From Froggy’s post:

’My thoughts:

Should Howe be sacked? Only if you're a fucking mentalist.’

That’s pretty much every post on here which has been critical of some aspects of Howe’s management. 

52 minutes ago, High Five o said:

Such a mental take to suggest replacing Howe at this stage.

First real dip in form after the worst injury crisis I can remember.

Going by some posters here and X it looks like we should change managers every 6 months. I am sure they would call for Peps head if we where in manc situation as well?

Literally no-one here has called for his head.  

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  Straw man nonsense.  I’ve not seen a single person on this thread calling for his head.  

I have seen 1 or 2 posts calling for him to be sacked if we lose against Sunderland, other than that nothing.

I think he should survive the summer pretty much no matter what. He has shown that he has excellent qualities, and i think he will reflect and learn from mistakes this season when he gets time to. 

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

I have seen 1 or 2 posts calling for him to be sacked if we lose against Sunderland, other than that nothing.

I think he should survive the summer pretty much no matter what. He has shown that he has excellent qualities, and i think he will reflect and learn from mistakes this season when he gets time to. 

I missed those tbh mate - if people have written that, then those posts deserve some pushback.  I will say I’ll be pissing blood if we lose to the Mackems, but no chance should Howe lose his job.

I agree - he should be given at least the season. For me, he’s got enough credit that even if we sputter over the finish line, I’d want the club to back him again for the start of next season.  Totally agree that he’ll learn - he’ll be better and the team will be better again next year.  The bloke had never managed a European campaign before - he’ll have learned shitloads this time round.  

33 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Not outright, but there has been plenty of thinly veiled posts about how fatigue cannot be blamed anymore and how he has to turn it around quickly. About how much pressure he's going to be under and how PIF will be looking at other managers. The knives are certainly being sharpened.

He deserves at least the full season and another two windows IMO. 

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

To be fair, Haaland's back up is Alvarez.

And he didn’t score nor look like scoring. 1-0 down he didn’t even give Haaland 10 minutes to overturn the result. He prioritised Haaland’s long term sharpness and fitness of a LC R3 tie even if that meant losing. 

Despite a congested fixture list and an injury crisis - Howe has not prioritised player fitness and sharpness over the immediate game. 

This is where I can admit to results bias. Had we beaten any of Bournemouth, Everton, Spurs or Chelsea his decisions would be vindicated. As such we’ve lost and played badly - almost progressively badly - and his decisions are rightfully being critiqued.  

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Mental reading this thread as an outsider. :lol:

My thoughts:

Should Howe be sacked? Only if you're a fucking mentalist. 

The guy took over a relegation threatened side and has had four windows, one of which you were signing players like Chris Wood just to stay up. We realistically shouldn't even be talking about Newcastle breaking into the top four yet, yet you finished fourth in his first full season in charge.

He's a victim of his own success.

Only the PIF are ruthless enthusiasts are suggesting he might get sacked. That’s a small minority. Most of the discussion in here is about how much bad luck with injuries vs suboptimal decisions have caused the fatigue and poor form. 

im including the transfer committee here too. We were left 2-3 players short. 

1 hour ago, Displayname said:

I wouldnt use anyone from the A-team in the league cup the first year we entered champions league.

I would fill the squad up with only players he can actually use before the season started.

I would give youngsters opportunities when it turned out we had a lot of injuries instead of playing Almiron, Gordon, Trippier etc 2x90mins a week.

This has only resulted in them being shit in every game. 

We made wholesale changes against Man City and Man Utd in the cup, go take a look at the lineup at OT. 

Our youngsters clearly aren’t ready or good enough, easy enough to say throw them in but throwing in a kid in to high pressure games when they aren’t ready is a recipe for disaster.

I look at it as - 

1. Are we in a position to be relegated - NO.

2. Are we in a good table position overall - YES.

3. Are the injuries we have counting against us - YES.

4. Should there have been a better squad rotation - YES.

So if Eddie were to be sacked (which I wouldn't want - give him another two seasons at least as we are still in building mode) - who the Fuck would you get ? 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Not true. A few have mentioned that if we lose to Sunderland he should go, or that he will lose their support/the crowd. Properly mental AFAIC.

Also plenty of posts about how the fatigue and injuries 'excuse' is wearing thin.

Edited by Kid Icarus

38 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Not outright, but there has been plenty of thinly veiled posts about how fatigue cannot be blamed anymore and how he has to turn it around quickly. About how much pressure he's going to be under and how PIF will be looking at other managers. The knives are certainly being sharpened.

He deserves at least the full season and another two windows IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not true. A few have mentioned that if we lose to Sunderland he should go, or that he will lose their support/the crowd. Properly mental AFAIC.

Also plenty of posts about how the fatigue and injuries 'excuse' is wearing thin.

Fair enough - while I do think that we have zero data on how PIF will react to what’s happening at present, from a fans’ perspective talking as if the bloke has weeks or even days to turn this around isn’t great.  Losing to Sunderland would cause anger - but that shouldn’t be enough to provoke calls for his sacking. 

29 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We made wholesale changes against Man City and Man Utd in the cup, go take a look at the lineup at OT. 

Our youngsters clearly aren’t ready or good enough, easy enough to say throw them in but throwing in a kid in to high pressure games when they aren’t ready is a recipe for disaster.

We brought on Bruno and Gordon at half time. Almiron played 30. Those minutes count. Pep did not bring on Ederson, Dias, Rodri or Haaland.  Pep prioritised the long term sharpness of his side over that 1 game. If 45 minutes is inconsequential he would’ve brought on Haaland & Dias. 

It was 6-0 and 70 minutes against Sheffield United before Howe made his first subs to rest players. Bruno played 80 minutes, Almiron and Trippier 70 mins. 

These minutes all add up.  What was his plan to keep Bruno sharp? Did he change that plan with the injuries and suspensions?

I know he planned to rotate Barnes and Gordon.  After the injuries - he’s decided to not rest Gordon at all. That hasn’t been a smart approach. 

31 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

I look at it as - 

1. Are we in a position to be relegated - NO.

2. Are we in a good table position overall - YES.

3. Are the injuries we have counting against us - YES.

4. Should there have been a better squad rotation - YES.

So if Eddie were to be sacked (which I wouldn't want - give him another two seasons at least as we are still in building mode) - who the Fuck would you get ? 

The daggers are definitely getting sharpened in the press - very negative today.  I think the biggest issue Eddie has is that he over achieved with the squad.  Now expectation is a lot higher.  Most Newcastle United fans knew it was a big ask competing in all competitions with our squad, which was small before the injuries hit.  All eyes will be on Eddie now in how he adapts to the situation as it is clear the players we have now just haven't the energy or aren't fit enough yet (still carrying knocks) to play his high press, attacking system.  So we are going to have to adapt and change our playing style.  Hopefully now Eddie has the chance to train with the players, he has the chance to do just that.  Jan will also be key in strengthen/freshening the squad - a new keeper is a must.

Edited by duo

I think there are in fact two questions:

1. Should Howe be sacked?

I think pretty much 99% people here would say no fucking way

2. Will Howe be sacked?

Now that’s the tricky part. Look at the fixtures. We could lose all games in January including the Sunderland cup game. The next realistic 3 points would be from Luton.

My genuine prediction is IF we lose all games including that Luton league game, Howe will be sacked.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We brought on Bruno and Gordon at half time. Almiron played 30. Those minutes count. Pep did not bring on Ederson, Dias, Rodri or Haaland.  Pep prioritised the long term sharpness of his side over that 1 game. If 45 minutes is inconsequential he would’ve brought on Haaland & Dias. 

It was 6-0 and 70 minutes against Sheffield United before Howe made his first subs to rest players. Bruno played 80 minutes, Almiron and Trippier 70 mins. 

These minutes all add up.  What was his plan to keep Bruno sharp? Did he change that plan with the injuries and suspensions?

I know he planned to rotate Barnes and Gordon.  After the injuries - he’s decided to not rest Gordon at all. That hasn’t been a smart approach. 

I agree regarding the sheff Utd game and would add the palace one in when I would have made earlier subs. However anyone having a go at him trying to win cup games, when we haven’t won a trophy in forever is mad to me.