Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 hours ago, Displayname said:

If its about fatigue either mental or physical, i find it weird that we seem to play better(less shit) as the game goes on. 

It was totally the opposite way earlier on when it clearly was about fatigue and the players couldnt run after 70mins. In alot of those games we started out playing allright, now its just hopeless from the getgo.

We're clearly not pressing like we did. Why would it not be down to fatigue, or a byproduct of it?

As an obvious example, we've got Gordon playing almost every minute, covering for Barnes/Joelinton and 2 strikers, he's obviously going to feel it.

Anyone wanting instant success needs to slow down. Eddie doesn't just bring his magician ways in making forgotten players like Schar, Joelinton and to an extent Almiron perform way above their station but he brings a stability, a class and a willingness to improve. 

Don't let us be like Chelsea. He obviously has what it takes but we've lost 300 mins/or was it days?? more than anyone else due to injuries. I believe he's our fergie.  I don't want anyone else. I want him to make mistakes, learn from them, improve. How all humans should operate and be treated. You're not made into a world class manager over night. It takes dedication and failure. 

And don't mention Pep because every team he's had everything at his disposal. Yes world class but Eddie has taken a bunch of championship and mid table prem players and with a few sprinklings of quality, got us top 4. 

We should not be so short sighted. 

Think it’s a mix of fatigue and injuries with a lack of confidence and Howe making a few mistakes. Don’t think much more needs to be said, get to the summer, hopefully a positive transfer window and see what happens next season.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If you think he’s our Fergie, you’re the one with the extremist perspective. 

It’s plenty on here that compare him favourably to Klopp or Guardiola. And there just isn’t the evidence for that at the elite level.  

This is Harsh, we achieved extraordinary things last season in excess of most expectations. 

I understand what your saying though, he should be compared to league winners and champions league winners at this point. 

that being said, he does have a few extraordinary achievements on his CV which show a great deal of promise and potential to mix it with such luminaries if he can take it to the next level. 

I have no idea what type of manager Howe will go on to be, but regarding Klopp...

His first managerial gig was Mainz. He took over and saved the club from relegation to the third tier. Three seasons later he got them prompted to the Bundesliga for the first time in their history. In his first two seasons he finished 11th, before being relegated. He put some of his success down to the characters of the players he signed and the mentality of the dressing room.

In his first season at Dortmund they finished 6th and won the domestic cup. The next season he finished 5th, before they went on to win the league.

I guess my point is yes he's one of the best managers going, but he wasn't an instant success and it took time and learning for him to become the manager he is today. There's also a couple of similarities to Howe, even if they aren't on the same trajectory. 

1 hour ago, mouldy_uk said:

IMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.a2a7ab527ba4727213d61956d9a7ae04.jpeg

Nearly 200 more days lost due to injuries than the nearest (Brentford). 

Over 1000 more days lost versus the teams immediately above us (Wolves and West Ham). 

"Every team has injuries". 

Edited by Interpolic

I’m firmly in the camp that he’ll be here next season, I want him to be here next season and we should only be looking at making a change if next season has the same issues as this one which means we aren’t learning.

however next couple of months will be very interesting now he has 5CM and 4 wingers to choose between. 

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re still forcing the Klopp comparison. And it doesn’t even fit. 

When people talk of him as being of that level - they are the extremists wishing upon a star. The evidence doesn’t support that. 

You're doing that thing again where you think your opinion is absolute and the only correct one.

44 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If you think he’s our Fergie, you’re the one with the extremist perspective. 

It’s plenty on here that compare him favourably to Klopp or Guardiola. And there just isn’t the evidence for that at the elite level.  

The forum is pretty polarised in places, with many keen to paint opposing views in the most histrionic light but:

- admitting Howe is struggling this season over a prolonged period =/= you want to pull over the car and kick him out at the first opportunity

- recognising the excellent work and the progress the club has made to date and the stability he has brought to the club =/= you believe he is the adopted Geordie Pep Guardiola

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re still forcing the Klopp comparison. And it doesn’t even fit. 

When people talk of him as being of that level - they are the extremists wishing upon a star. The evidence doesn’t support that. 

I'm not forcing it and never have, I only mentioned it because it was talked about above. I have no idea what kind of career trajectory Howe is on. So much depends on ability, but also luck and circumstance, it's impossible to tell.

I guess that leads into my second point though. Dortmund are comfortably Germany's second biggest club. Klopp could have easily been sacked or hounded out. In his second season they had Champions League football in their hands, but threw it away in the final two games of the season. If he had, he might not have been the manager he is today.

Klopp wasn't elite either... until he was. :lol:

Completely ruling out the idea of managers improving, growing or being given the opportunity to prove they are elite. I'm sure there was a German version TCD on a Mainz forum way back when, harping on about Klopp and the errors he'd made.

Edited by STM

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not forcing it and never have, I only mentioned it because it was talked about above. I have no idea what kind of career trajectory Howe is on. So much depends on ability, but also luck and circumstance, it's impossible to tell.

I guess that leads into my second point though. Dortmund are comfortably Germany's second biggest club. Klopp could have easily been sacked or hounded out. In his second season they had Champions League football in their hands, but threw it away in the final two games of the season. If he had, he might not have been the manager he is today.

This is a great point. Imagine what some of our know it all fans would have done had we lost those moments. Any failure = shit manager. 

10 minutes ago, Beren said:

The forum is pretty polarised in places, with many keen to paint opposing views in the most histrionic light but:

- admitting Howe is struggling this season over a prolonged period =/= you want to pull over the car and kick him out at the first opportunity

- recognising the excellent work and the progress the club has made to date and the stability he has brought to the club =/= you believe he is the adopted Geordie Pep Guardiola

that last point is plain daft.

For all his positives Howe will never be able to rock the turtle neck like Pep can

6 minutes ago, Menace said:

Would Klopp have got top 4 with our team last year?

That has to be a yes. Probably pushing a title challenge till the last few games. Yes EH is good, but he seems to be a bit slow on picking up obvious errors this season...especially with to Burn who every other team seems to have sussed as the weakest link. Yes we've had injuries, but a large amount of points lost have come down to farcical errors from players who weren't making them last year. When we have brought others in they play like strangers, which suggests a certain amount of favouritism in the squad in that the 'not first 11' don't have a clue how to join in properly with any routines we presumably work on in training

We don’t know if Howe will become an ‘elite’ manager or not - we can hope he will, and there are a lot of positive signs that he can, as well as some negative signs that he won’t.  The point seems moot to me until he joins that bracket - and we’re the best chance he’s likely to get of breaking into it.

He could well ‘grow’ with the club, so I totally understand fans being attracted to that as a notion.  I honestly don’t care too much either way - if Howe is here in five years’ time, it’s because he’s successful and won things.  If he isn’t, it’s because he wasn’t.  I just want to see us win things, and I don’t really care about the narrative around it.  My dad is 70 soon and he was a boy when we last won a trophy, and wasn’t born when we last won a domestic one.  That’s a ridiculous state of affairs, frankly - Howe has the chance at the moment to write himself into our history books forever (the manager who breaks the duck will always be remembered, whatever follows it).  I hope he takes it - I do like him as a person and as a football man.  If he doesn’t, he doesn’t.