Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Away Toon said:

We really lack technically competent players and yet both Hall and Livramento are among the best technicians at the club and yet they hardly play.

I worry if Eddie gets his way in the transfer market that he'll continue to prioritize athletes over more technical players.

When they were parking the bus in the start of the second half yesterday, you just knew it was over. We are still having so much trouble doing anything against that, and hard work is not enough in those scenarios. We need technical players to beat it.

Edited by Erikse

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

I know other teams manage it with so called lesser players. But I feel like a team with only Schar and Bruno being comfortable on the ball deep or in our first two thirds of the pitch. Is always going to struggle. Anderson tried, but it was not his night at all. Couldn’t get to grips with pace of it and seemed unsure about where he was supposed to be playing. 

I found the insistence to try and pass round the press mind blowingly stupid. So much of last night felt self-inflicted. 

It gave them something to build on, it put the weaker players in our team under pressure from the first minute and it got their crowd right up for it. In some ways, very similar to what we do to teams at SJP when they continually try and play out. 

It's symptomatic of the way football has gone; everyone is obsessed with passing out from the back regardless if the players in question aren't great on the ball under the pressure and regardless how dangerous it is to lose the ball in such area's. It's like managers have been brainwashed into thinking its the right and only way of playing - despite literally giving up massive chances to the opponent as a consequence. I get the idea, I get how it can work and I get 'sticking to your principles'/plan. But surely at times common sense and nous comes into play aswell.

When under pressure and in dangerous area's we should have been hitting the ball down the channels to use Isak's pace and get up the pitch. Keep their defenders honest. There are basics of football that wont ever be taken away, they're just being ignored at the moment. Defenders have it so easy these days (off the ball anyway) because everything is played in front of them. Does my head in and I hope this cycle comes to an end and teams start playing with more tactical flexibility and common sense.

3 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

It's symptomatic of the way football has gone; everyone is obsessed with passing out from the back regardless if the players in question aren't great on the ball under the pressure and regardless how dangerous it is to lose the ball in such area's. It's like managers have been brainwashed into thinking its the right and only way of playing - despite literally giving up massive chances to the opponent as a consequence. I get the idea, I get how it can work and I get 'sticking to your principles'/plan. But surely at times common sense and nous comes into play aswell.

When under pressure and in dangerous area's we should have been hitting the ball down the channels to use Isak's pace and get up the pitch. Keep their defenders honest. There are basics of football that wont ever be taken away, they're just being ignored at the moment. Defenders have it so easy these days (off the ball anyway) because everything is played in front of them. Does my head in and I hope this cycle comes to an end and teams start playing with more tactical flexibility and common sense.

Nowt to add except to say I enjoyed this take and I would like to a team try it in practice.

13 minutes ago, timnufc22 said:

Fab hits long diagonal balls to our speedy wingers all the time.

2 minutes ago, Jimburst said:

Fab hits long diagonal balls to our speedy wingers all the time.

Usually when he has time on the ball and the opposition have pushed up. I mean when we're deep into/next to our box getting pressed like mad. Last night we were still trying to intricate passing when that was happening, playing hospital balls and giving up big chances to Palace. It's self destructive. I get if you're Man City but we don't have their players to pull that off. It's like there's a snobbery towards clearing your lines. 

I agree with your point, I just don't think we're totally wedded to 'passing it out from the back'. I think we were unusually bad under pressure last night. We also kicked it long and it came straight back at us.

So either the gap between games is too small, or it's too big? Not sure about that haha. If it was like 3 weeks off, then I would kind of get it, but I'd rather have 11 days off than the 4 days off Palace had.

26 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cebf78fde391f4f2672f71b50e9bac91.jpeg

So what is it, to big of a gap is bad, we want smaller. But smaller gap is bad, we want bigger? What the fuck

Got to say I'd be fucking lambasting Pardew for coming out with something like that. Hopefully he's just lying to cover up something he sees as a deeper problem. Assuming it's real.

Edited by 80

Just now, et tu brute said:

So a break is good if we start getting results (Dubai), but it's not if we get beat and put in a woeful performance. Sorry Eddie that's just total bullshit 

I genuinely think it can work both ways, but he did say it isn't an excuse mind.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I genuinely think it can work both ways, but he did say it isn't an excuse mind.

There was no point in saying it. Palace had 4 days of rest, and they looked way more energetic. Would you rather have 4 days of rest than 11?

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

So why is he saying it then (if true he did). Sorry total bullshit 

20 minutes ago, Erikse said:

There was no point in saying it. Palace had 4 days of rest, and they looked way more energetic. Would you rather have 4 days of rest than 11?

I think it depends. If you're on a decent run and full of confidence, you probably want the games coming more regularly. If you're not, the opposite.

It's post-match fluff and a bit of an odd thing to be getting upset about.

He's owned the performance and it's not like he's tried to blame it on the fans or out.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I think it depends. If you're on a decent run and full of confidence, you probably want the games coming more regularly. If you're not, the opposite.

It's post-match fluff and a bit of an odd thing to be getting upset about.

He's owned the performance and it's not like he's tried to blame it on the fans or out.

As I said earlier in another thread, if Palace had 11 days rest and we had 4 days, and the match went the same way as it did, we would be here saying they had more energy because they had more rest. Somehow it allways works in the opponents favour when we lose, and we are the victims of bad luck yet again.

Edited by Erikse