Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, Ronaldo said:

I meant more in the context of the fact we’ve spent a lot of money to be still starting a player that wouldn’t get a game for anyone outside the bottom 4.

Did you? Then why mention 4 wingers available?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Unless injured or exhausted you keep him on.  He's been one the best strikers in the World lately. He looked baffled tbf. Mad decision imo.

Unless injured, exhausted, or you have one fit striker and a six pointer at Old Trafford for your next game. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

3 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Fuck off you tit

You sound like a very intelligent constructive guy. Looking forward to your next post. 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

I meant more in the context of the fact we’ve spent a lot of money to be still starting a player that wouldn’t get a game for anyone outside the bottom 4.

Im not surprised Murphy having a poor game after a good one. Thats not new. Thats what he usually do. But he was having a really good game against Burnley. Need a new purple RW no doubt about it!

1 minute ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Did you? Then why mention 4 wingers available?

Because it’s not down to injuries. It’s a conscious decision to play him and failure the properly address the issue of RW.

Man United game is big. Need to do all we can to win that.

Worried about Brentford away and their directness and set pieces with Krafth at centre back.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Yeah cant understand Barnes only got 20 min when we played so bad. Howe is not good in game management.

The Isak decision was a bit of a no win tbh. Taking him off chasing the game seems wrong, but he was pretty off it today (as were others) and we were a fraction away from winning it with AG up top with the offside goal. If he kept Isak on, we still drew and he got injured, with Wilson made of glass, it'd be even worse. 

In hindsight I wish we'd rolled the dice and kept him on for a moment of quality late on, but struggle to lay a lot of blame at Howe's door for this one. So many misplaced passes and poor decisions in the final third. He can't put it in the net for them.

7 minutes ago, Begbie said:

You sound like a very intelligent constructive guy. Looking forward to your next post. 

Unsurprisingly your last one was the last time we lost. :lol: 

He was technically 'right' to take Isak off, he wasn't playing well and it wasn't working, it's just odd/unconventional/brave/whatever you want to call it to take off a player with his record.

Was a throwback to last season where we struggled to break down a side happy to play for a draw. Got in some good positions but suffered from terrible decision making and/or poor final ball. 

50 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Because it’s not down to injuries. It’s a conscious decision to play him and failure the properly address the issue of RW.

To be fair, all the noises coming out are that we most definitely will be addressing it this offseason. 

Not seen the game but we haven’t been beaten at home in the league since 13 Jan and that was Man City - that game being the only league home defeat in 2024 so I’m not going to get upset because we’re not winning all of them.

Been an amazing season for me all things considering and imo it’s simply just a shame we didn’t get the win and that’s all.

Most of Eddie's frustrating tendencies came to the fore today unfortunately. Pretty shit first half, could have been 2 or 3 down, bailed out by a nice goal on the stroke of half time. Change it then surely since it wasn't working? Nope, got to wait. Murphy got nearly 70 minutes, not sure why. I do like him, great lad but so limited. Not that the replacements were great, Barnes was awful, but still a bit aggravating when you need the win and he's providing nowt. Pope fit enough to be on the bench. Play him man. Too much loyalty to an average keeper.

Think we'd have 6th nailed if we'd been a bit less charitable at home. Left quite a few points on the table between Liverpool, Everton, Brighton, Luton, Forest. On the flip side, some brilliant wins against Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Villa, Palace (that one feels like years ago). 

All told, today was just frustrating, rather than shit. Players were off it most of the game. It's been a pretty remarkable season given the circumstances whether we finish 6th, 7th whatever and I love this bloke. Excited for next season, Europe or not.

1 minute ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Most of Eddie's frustrating tendencies came to the fore today unfortunately. Pretty shit first half, could have been 2 or 3 down, bailed out by a nice goal on the stroke of half time. Change it then surely since it wasn't working? Nope, got to wait. Murphy got nearly 70 minutes, not sure why. I do like him, great lad but so limited. Not that the replacements were great, Barnes was awful, but still a bit aggravating when you need the win and he's providing nowt. Pope fit enough to be on the bench. Play him man. Too much loyalty to an average keeper.

Think we'd have 6th nailed if we'd been a bit less charitable at home. Left quite a few points on the table between Liverpool, Everton, Brighton, Luton, Forest. On the flip side, some brilliant wins against Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Villa, Palace (that one feels like years ago). 

All told, today was just frustrating, rather than shit. Players were off it most of the game. It's been a pretty remarkable season given the circumstances whether we finish 6th, 7th whatever and I love this bloke. Excited for next season, Europe or not.

Don't disagree with much of that other than the start of the second paragraph. It's not our home games that have cost us this season, we've done just as well this season at home as we did last season. It's the away games, majority of them have been either poor results or poor performances or a combination of both. 

We've got a long way to go before we can look at games like this against Brighton or Everton or even Forrest at St James's and expect us to beat them every single time, it's just not where we are yet. 

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Don't disagree with much of that other than the start of the second paragraph. It's not our home games that have cost us this season, we've done just as well this season at home as we did last season. It's the away games, majority of them have been either poor results or poor performances or a combination of both. 

We've got a long way to go before we can look at games like this against Brighton or Everton or even Forrest at St James's and expect us to beat them every single time, it's just not where we are yet. 

Yeah, I didn't really mean we should just expect to turn up and beat them. In all 3 games it was there for us and we just didn't play well enough in any of them. Forest was the nadir of the season, the pinnacle of the injuries catching up with us. Think we win today most times, the performance just didn't really warrant it and we held ourselves up with waiting too long to change it, then the subs were largely poor anyway. Everton, we didn't play great either just gave it away at the end.

Agree that our away form particularly in the winter was atrocious. Just meant home points are generally easier to come by,

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Yeah, I didn't really mean we should just expect to turn up and beat them. In all 3 games it was there for us and we just didn't play well enough in any of them. Forest was the nadir of the season, the pinnacle of the injuries catching up with us. Think we win today most times, the performance just didn't really warrant it and we held ourselves up with waiting too long to change it, then the subs were largely poor anyway. Everton, we didn't play great either just gave it away at the end.

Agree that our away form particularly in the winter was atrocious. Just meant home points are generally easier to come by,

No I know and that bit wasn't aimed specifically at you, more to the fact that I've seen it so often over the last couple of weeks particularly where people will say "if only we'd beaten team X and team Y, we'd be in 5th already" and that's all well and good but we've also lucked out in a few games and got point we probably didn't deserve.

Same goes for the teams around us, they probably all think they should have more points but that's the great thing about a 38 game season, you get what you deserve at the end of it.

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

No I know and that bit wasn't aimed specifically at you, more to the fact that I've seen it so often over the last couple of weeks particularly where people will say "if only we'd beaten team X and team Y, we'd be in 5th already" and that's all well and good but we've also lucked out in a few games and got point we probably didn't deserve.

Same goes for the teams around us, they probably all think they should have more points but that's the great thing about a 38 game season, you get what you deserve at the end of it.

Think it's the natural tendency of a football fan to recall the games where it didn't quite fall for you, rather than recall the lucky wins. There have been a few, like Brentford home with a jammy pen iirc, but a majority of our wins have been decisive. And yeah, generally over a season, you end up where you deserve to. At my age, seen enough seasons to learn that nugget. 89/90 one of the few exceptions.

It was annoying that he didn’t address the glaring hole in the midfield throughout the entire game that their keeper just constantly kept picking passes straight into. The man to man pressing was causing it.