Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Hard to judge last night.  We weren't at the races and Man Utd are spawny

The real yardstick to see how far we've come will be that pointless, nothing on the line, meaningless, nothing more than a glorified training session, friendly against Spurs who we now see as a competitor. 

Lose that and I can't see PIF wanting to risk the sheer embarrassment of being beaten by the A-League All Star team in a pointless, nothing on the line, meaningless, nothing more than a glorified training session, friendly.

9 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

Sort of use it as an excuse? So we are still in with a chance of sixth despite all the injuries and you say he has used up a free hit? What is your solution to the injuries? We have had a superb season compared to the past 20! Alot of the stats bear this out Howe has earned at least two more years after his first 2 have you forgotten his first year? 

Yes sort of as an excuse, since I dont think it fully explains a lot of our poor performances.

Only reason we have a chance for 6 is because of the very slow start Chelsea had. If we forget about the league position for a moment and just look at the results, I dont think 17 wins and 14 losses are good enough for our owners if it happens again. Especially when alot of the individual games have had abysmal performances from us, even a couple of the wins.

There are some migitating circumstances, like it being his first season in CL and the Tonali ban being a major blow. So my expectations are that we will improve massively next season, especially if we dont get Europe. But if we dont..

5 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Yes sort of as an excuse, since I dont think it fully explains a lot of our poor performances.

Only reason we have a chance for 6 is because of the very slow start Chelsea had. If we forget about the league position for a moment and just look at the results, I dont think 17 wins and 14 losses are good enough for our owners if it happens again. Especially when alot of the individual games have had abysmal performances from us, even a couple of the wins.

There are some migitating circumstances, like it being his first season in CL and the Tonali ban being a major blow. So my expectations are that we will improve massively next season, especially if we dont get Europe. But if we dont..

So what is your solution? Imagine you're being interviewed by the board!

My only real complaint is he seems to be overly cautious at key points and as said previously has a bias to certain average players. 

I'm confident he'll get it right against Brentford. 

3 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

So what is your solution? Imagine you're being interviewed by the board!

I am not claiming to have any solutions. 

Only gave my thoughts on what I think the board will do if we get another season like this. 

35 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Let’s just agree to disagree, you’re entitled to your opinion but think you’re talking shit personally.

Thanks pal. Right back at ya O0

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

So…. It’s Barnes and Gordon competing for one spot. And Almiron and Murphy competing for the other. 

2 LW options that both have more ability and higher ceilings than any RW option. 

That doesn’t make sense.

Now it doesn't, but at the time it made more sense. Gordon was still bedding in, his rise has been meteoric. The intention imo was Barnes to be our main LW and Gordon getting minutes across the wings, or across the whole front 3 really. Barnes injury and Gordon turning out to be fucking mint on the left changed that calculus.

Like a lot of our business last year Barnes was opportunistic - available at a price we were happy with. In an ideal world I suspect we'd have gone for a RW equivalent but for whatever reason that didn't materialise 

Looking forward to the ruthless revamp of the squad in the summer. Time to deal him some new cards.

Season was done the moment the club decided not to purchase in jan. We've never needed players as much as we did then and we got nothing in. Ffp to blame in sure, but no so much from next month.

I'm looking forward to options off the bench, and a squad that can be rotated. My only worry is Howe sticks with what he knows, and we see similar injuries to players as no rest is given.

Still the man for the job. 100%, but the club needs to squeeze every last penny it can to support him.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Haha

Rolling out the Bournemouth legacy stats ??????

Hang me now

Ok, just explain to me your reasoning behind not looking at someone's previous track record as an indication of what they're likely to do going forward. Genuine question, so try to keep it civil if you can (I appreciate it's rare on here and beyond the capabilities of many).

We use people's track records to judge their likely future performance in every walk of life, especially football. So putting any personal bias aside, why wouldn't we do it with Eddie in this scenario. History suggests he isn't good at the defensive side of the game (in the PL at least), and every season barre last season supports this. 

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Looking forward to the ruthless revamp of the squad in the summer. Time to deal him some new cards.

Season was done the moment the club decided not to purchase in jan. We've never needed players as much as we did then and we got nothing in. Ffp to blame in sure, but no so much from next month.

I'm looking forward to options off the bench, and a squad that can be rotated. My only worry is Howe sticks with what he knows, and we see similar injuries to players as no rest is given.

Still the man for the job. 100%, but the club needs to squeeze every last penny it can to support him.

:lol: we're literally still in the driving seat for European football, even now. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

:lol: we're literally still in the driving seat for European football, even now. 

We'd have secured it with a couple of signings. To say we're in the driving seat is madness. We've a tough away game, chelsea are on form and we've just lose to a rival in the race, a rival we've never finished above. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

We'd have secured it with a couple of signings. To say we're in the driving seat is madness. We've a tough away game, chelsea are on form and we've just lose to a rival in the race, a rival we've never finished above. 

Well we're in 7th now so it's in our hands. We just need to beat a dodgy team thats got nothing to play for. The season hasn't been 'done' at any single point. 

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Ok, just explain to me your reasoning behind not looking at someone's previous track record as an indication of what they're likely to do going forward. Genuine question, so try to keep it civil if you can (I appreciate it's rare on here and beyond the capabilities of many).

We use people's track records to judge their likely future performance in every walk of life, especially football. So putting any personal bias aside, why wouldn't we do it with Eddie in this scenario. History suggests he isn't good at the defensive side of the game (in the PL at least), and every season barre last season supports this. 

Do you think all things being equal we’ve underachieved this season?

Just now, Yorkie said:

Well we're in 7th now so it's in our hands. We just need to beat a dodgy team thats got nothing to play for. The season hasn't been 'done' at any single point. 

We weren't arsed about where we finished, if we were, we'd have done deals in jan. Couple of signings and we'd have finished 5th, not scraping 7th (it'll be 8th)

By all accounts we're completely at the limits of FFP. You can make an argument to say we should've prioritised differently what we spent in the summer, but I'm not sure just "doing some deals" in January was ever a viable option 

We weren't arsed about where we finished, if we were, we'd have done deals in jan. Couple of signings and we'd have finished 5th, not scraping 7th (it'll be 8th)

We are at our FFP limit. 

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Don't be silly. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

We are at our FFP limit. 

I know this, I said this earlier, but that ended the season not being able to cover the injuries. The club decided it wasn't going to risk a punishment by trading, and by not trading our season was never going to be anything but this. I don't know why people find that so hard to understand.

I know this, I said this earlier, but that ended the season not being able to cover the injuries. The club decided it wasn't going to risk a punishment by trading, and by not trading our season was never going to be anything but this. I don't know why people find that so hard to understand.

I hear you on those points, I also thought we should have sold some players last summer I’m not sure it’s something we can hold against the manager mind. 

He's done an incredible job overall since arriving and would back him in the summer and see how far he can take us, but I've always had a gut feeling that we will never win anything under Howe, Im just not sure he's got what it takes, it's not based on facts or anything just a feeling, I hope to be proven defiantly wrong about that.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I hear you on those points, I also thought we should have sold some players last summer I’m not sure it’s something we can hold against the manager mind. 

I've not held it against him, it's actually something I give him lenience on. We risked players health and careers this season, for some stupid cap to keep the big clubs happy. It's madness. 

Only thing we could have done to stsy in  ffp limits is deals with Saudi, maybe we tried and none of the players wanted to move. I don't know. But I do know regardless of reason or whether it's right or wrong, our inability to bring players in during Jan cost us this season, when we could have easily finished 5th and would have been seen as a success. 

Such a shame. 

Just now, Dokko said:

I've not held it against him, it's actually something I give him lenience on. We risked players health and careers this season, for some stupid cap to keep the big clubs happy. It's madness. 

Only thing we could have done to stsy in  ffp limits is deals with Saudi, maybe we tried and none of the players wanted to move. I don't know. But I do know regardless of reason or whether it's right or wrong, our inability to bring players in during Jan cost us this season, when we could have easily finished 5th and would have been seen as a success. 

Such a shame. 

The problem is, in order to essentially do what needed do we would have had to break the rules weather it’s related party inflation or breaking FFP. 

the issue with that is the punishments are now very large points deductions which would have been difficult to bear. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The problem is, in order to essentially do what needed do we would have had to break the rules weather it’s related party inflation or breaking FFP. 

the issue with that is the punishments are now very large points deductions which would have been difficult to bear. 

Might have been worth it. Gain 9pts this season and finish 5th, then lose 6pts next season with a bigger squad to deal with the season. 

It depends on how much the club value minor European football. I gather very little, which is fine, but that's the reality of this season and the situation we found ourselves in.

Either way, Eddie is not to blame for where we finish this season. He carried more of it before Jan, after that it was up to the club to magic up something or accept the season as a write off. 

22 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Piece of piss, innit. Club should sack off Eddie Howe and just employ you and Holmesy.