Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

By all accounts we're completely at the limits of FFP. You can make an argument to say we should've prioritised differently what we spent in the summer, but I'm not sure just "doing some deals" in January was ever a viable option 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

We weren't arsed about where we finished, if we were, we'd have done deals in jan. Couple of signings and we'd have finished 5th, not scraping 7th (it'll be 8th)

We are at our FFP limit. 

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

We weren't arsed about where we finished, if we were, we'd have done deals in jan. Couple of signings and we'd have finished 5th, not scraping 7th (it'll be 8th)

Don't be silly. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

We are at our FFP limit. 

I know this, I said this earlier, but that ended the season not being able to cover the injuries. The club decided it wasn't going to risk a punishment by trading, and by not trading our season was never going to be anything but this. I don't know why people find that so hard to understand.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I know this, I said this earlier, but that ended the season not being able to cover the injuries. The club decided it wasn't going to risk a punishment by trading, and by not trading our season was never going to be anything but this. I don't know why people find that so hard to understand.

I hear you on those points, I also thought we should have sold some players last summer I’m not sure it’s something we can hold against the manager mind. 

He's done an incredible job overall since arriving and would back him in the summer and see how far he can take us, but I've always had a gut feeling that we will never win anything under Howe, Im just not sure he's got what it takes, it's not based on facts or anything just a feeling, I hope to be proven defiantly wrong about that.

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I hear you on those points, I also thought we should have sold some players last summer I’m not sure it’s something we can hold against the manager mind. 

I've not held it against him, it's actually something I give him lenience on. We risked players health and careers this season, for some stupid cap to keep the big clubs happy. It's madness. 

Only thing we could have done to stsy in  ffp limits is deals with Saudi, maybe we tried and none of the players wanted to move. I don't know. But I do know regardless of reason or whether it's right or wrong, our inability to bring players in during Jan cost us this season, when we could have easily finished 5th and would have been seen as a success. 

Such a shame. 

Just now, Dokko said:

I've not held it against him, it's actually something I give him lenience on. We risked players health and careers this season, for some stupid cap to keep the big clubs happy. It's madness. 

Only thing we could have done to stsy in  ffp limits is deals with Saudi, maybe we tried and none of the players wanted to move. I don't know. But I do know regardless of reason or whether it's right or wrong, our inability to bring players in during Jan cost us this season, when we could have easily finished 5th and would have been seen as a success. 

Such a shame. 

The problem is, in order to essentially do what needed do we would have had to break the rules weather it’s related party inflation or breaking FFP. 

the issue with that is the punishments are now very large points deductions which would have been difficult to bear. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

The problem is, in order to essentially do what needed do we would have had to break the rules weather it’s related party inflation or breaking FFP. 

the issue with that is the punishments are now very large points deductions which would have been difficult to bear. 

Might have been worth it. Gain 9pts this season and finish 5th, then lose 6pts next season with a bigger squad to deal with the season. 

It depends on how much the club value minor European football. I gather very little, which is fine, but that's the reality of this season and the situation we found ourselves in.

Either way, Eddie is not to blame for where we finish this season. He carried more of it before Jan, after that it was up to the club to magic up something or accept the season as a write off. 

22 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Piece of piss, innit. Club should sack off Eddie Howe and just employ you and Holmesy. 

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I have no confidence at all there’s going to be a ruthless revamp this summer. 

Hmmm. Got to agree, unfortunately. Plenty on here have heralded Howes ruthlessness, but I've not seen it so far, in fact quite the opposite. It could be his undoing, hopefully he understands that and acts. 

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Of course there wont be, its only 48 hours ago Howe was insisting Wilson was staying if its up to him, obviously he knows fuck all compared to some on here but bizarrely he has some input to transfers and not my ignore list

15 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Do you think all things being equal we’ve underachieved this season?

Yes, not by much but yes. There was a run of games where we were so defensively woeful, we dropped points we shouldn't have. That period where we were conceding 3-4 goals per game and Eddie wouldn't change anything was probably the difference between 5th-6th to 7th-8th. So, not a huge drop but potentially significant to which European competition we're in next season (if any).

I think we have two schools of thoughts broadly. 

1, we don’t need such drastic changes as if we didn’t get wrecked by injuries we would have been around and challenging for top 4. 

2, we need a drastic revamp because we’ve underachieved/fallen back. 

Wtf are you on about? A ruthless revamp ???????

For a start, if I'm assuming correctly, getting shot of big numbers of players from a squad doesn't work and, more importantly, we can't afford it. 

I can’t help but having a nagging doubt whether he’s the manager to take us to the next level.

Too many injuries since he arrived, poor away performances, defensively sloppy and stubbornness to change obvious problems in our starting xi.

However, we are entertaining to watch and finished top 4 last season.

In my humble view, I think he has enough credit in the bank to see how the start of next season goes…

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Yes, not by much but yes. There was a run of games where we were so defensively woeful, we dropped points we shouldn't have. That period where we were conceding 3-4 goals per game and Eddie wouldn't change anything was probably the difference between 5th-6th to 7th-8th. So, not a huge drop but potentially significant to which European competition we're in next season (if any).

I don’t think this is an unreasonable take personally. Definitely lines up with my recollection of December in particular. 

I do think however at that point in time the injuries we had were unprecedented and we were running on absolute fumes. 

It’s fine to have doubts and reservations as well. I would suggest we get behind the side and see what next season brings though because no matter what we will have a more accurate gauge at that point. (If we suffer the same amount of injuries for example we have to link this our training and conditioning methods etc). 

28 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Do you think all things being equal we’ve underachieved this season?

I think this is a hard one to answer.

I think if we finish 7th and manage to get the Conference League.  We have finished slap bang in the middle of where I was expecting.  I may be wrong.  But I think I said 6th-8th at the start of the season.

So when you look at the players that are regularly getting minutes.  The fact our 4 new summer signings haven't played anywhere near as much as we'd have liked.  The cup draws.  The high quality back 5 from last season being decimated by injuries.  The Wilson/Isak conundrum.  Loads more, I'm sure.  It feels like we have over-achieved, if anything. 

But then the fact we finished 4th last season, expectations have naturally gone up.  Fans have got fed up of the injury/fatigue excuse and we have still thrown away crunch games that we should have won.  Even when factoring in all of the above.  Fairly recently, Chelsea and Man U spring to mind.  A point in each of those games and we're home and hosed.  So it feels like the season has kind of petered out a bit and we've wasted a really good opportunity to finish 6th, possibly even 5th with the way Spurs have dropped off.

General consensus seems to be we have done it the wrong way round.  If we went 11th, 7th, 4th.  Fans would have been happy and expectations a bit more inline with the squad that we have to pick from. 

Even if we end up with no Europe next season, I'm still 100% behind Howe.  Massive summer ahead, though.  I know it's done using hindsight.  But we can't afford another transfer window like last year.  We need to be hitting with all of our signings and have them contributing to the first team in a meaningful way and on a regular basis. 

25 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Because there can’t be. For that to happen we would need serious interest in our poor players and for FFP to be relaxed.

23 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Wtf are you on about? A ruthless revamp ???????

For a start, if I'm assuming correctly, getting shot of big numbers of players from a squad doesn't work and, more importantly, we can't afford it. 

Plus, nobody will want our cast-offs.

You would think there would be a fairly sizeable turnover in the summer. Out: Dubravka, Almiron, Wilson, Targett, Ritchie, Hayden, Ghost, maybe Murphy, maybe Trippier, maybe even Barnes.

“We haven’t delivered anywhere near as many of those type of performances that you need on the road and we have to look at why, we have to look at the personnel of the team [and] we have to look at the mentality of the group because we should be delivering better than that,” he said.

Interesting quote.