Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

One thing that might sway Howe is the imminent departures of Staveley and Ghodoussi and If he feels that his job is less secure as a result.

47 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

To add to the above, I doubt he'd be front and centre of plans for the coming season if he was about to walk.

Surely he or the club wouldn’t even be aware yet though? Currently Southgate has the job so we plan with Howe. That could well change if Southgate goes.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Surely he or the club wouldn’t even be aware yet though? Currently Southgate has the job so we plan with Howe. That could well change if Southgate goes.

It's been pretty widely discussed this could be Southgate's last tournament.

I'd be amazed if they haven't asked the question. We'd need a contingency if there's any chance of him leaving.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's been pretty widely discussed this could be Southgate's last tournament.

I'd be amazed if they haven't asked the question. We'd need a contingency if there's any chance of him leaving.

Absolutely, but asking the question whilst Southgate is still in the job and then asking when he isn’t is different imo (I think Howe will stay btw).

Unpopular opinion: Howe wouldn't be a good England manager, he needs time for his methods to take shape, it took him 10 games to get to that Leeds win when he first joined, and since then, he's tends to give new signings time to get up to speed.

That time he would not have in the 2 weeks he'll get 4 times a season as well as the 2 weeks before a tournament.

I can see them wanting Howe but wether he would want the job is a different matter.

Very different job, no need to worry about recruitment or finances, loads of free time.

People think the England manager is under intense pressure from the fans and media, in reality I doubt they give a fuck, it's money for old rope.

It must be tempting looking at the players England have available, knowing he could potentially be the person to win them a trophy for the first time in 60 years.

England will keep producing quality players at this point. It’s not the old days where it was all about funnelling physical players through. We have lots of players with good technique now and that will only continue 

58 minutes ago, 54 said:

Unpopular opinion: Howe wouldn't be a good England manager, he needs time for his methods to take shape, it took him 10 games to get to that Leeds win when he first joined, and since then, he's tends to give new signings time to get up to speed.

That time he would not have in the 2 weeks he'll get 4 times a season as well as the 2 weeks before a tournament.

do you remember some of the players he was using?

compare them to the england squad.

Hope he turns them down if he's offered it, but for the first time today - based on fuck all - I thought that he's more than likely to take it

Nah, he ain’t taking the England job. He’s not the type to walk away on an unfinished project in my opinion, he’s always struck me as being a very loyal guy. Look at his comments re Ashworth.
The FA may want him and approach him, but he won’t take it. Much more likely to be Carsley.

2 hours ago, Joe1984 said:

Howe to England. Southgate to Newcastle.

Riots follow.

This time 2 weeks ago I wouldn’t have bet against it 

I think Howe leaving would be disastrous for us, would be good news for England though. I have no idea whether he’d take it or not, I’m sure none of us do 

6 hours ago, TRon said:

I just saw Fat Sam on Sky saying we should never give the job to a foreign manager after failing with this experiment previously, so I'm assuming we probably will go for an English manager. I just don't think the FA would take the risk of appointing a non-English candidate at this point.

If the women's national team can go foreign, no reason the men's can't. 

There is absolutely zero chance that my close personal friend Eddie Howe - whose inner mind I know so well - would think for one moment to accept a more high profile, better paid and more prestigious job.

3 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

There is absolutely zero chance that my close personal friend Eddie Howe - whose inner mind I know so well - would think for one moment to accept a more high profile, better paid and more prestigious job.

Southgate on £5m i read somewhere. Is it better paid?

Edited by LFEE

2 hours ago, 54 said:

Disagree unfortunately - was then ten games because that’s just how long it takes or because of the shape of the squad he inherited?

You can’t take our bottom of the table Bruce squad along side what would be his hand picked players and say “oh well they’ll both take ten games”.

For what it’s worth I think he’ll turn it down but I truly believe he could do the job if he accepted.

Edited by Gawalls

I think if Southgate stays on two more years that's a bit more dangerous, if the job comes up again summer 2026 Howe will have been here nigh on 5 years and may see that as a good time to make a move, depending on what happens over the next few years. Don't see him taking it right now.

Hopefully they go for a long-term appointment like Potter or someone they'll give time to (Carsley) and it won't come up again for a good while.