Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, KingArthur said:

Yes, but there might be 100 reasons that we don't know behind this. "Playing your best players" meant for example with Pardew that he played Ba as a left winger, which didn't really work defensively at all.

His changes turned the game, and he made them early. Great job. Overall our performances have been poor, especially attacking-wise. Right side is dead at the moment. Livramento and Murphy doesn't work at all, and centrebacks cannot play to midfield if Bruno is marked.

I normally defend Howe but Barnes had to start today. Unless he was carrying a knock or something that we didn’t know about.

11 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

People might not realize, that Howe might just want to have options at the bench? Bringing in Murphy and Longstaff against tired legs does nothing. Bringing Harvey and Tonali does. I am pretty sure Tonali starts the next one.

Isak is again wandering nowhere to be seen for a long while. Not his fault, but I like it when he drops deep and turns. Our system especially in away games isolates him way too much. He is not a target man to hold up the play. This is really something Howe should fix. Maybe Trippier starting away could be one answer. He adds pace to our play with his passing. Tino is more of a dribbler.

Burn is horrible. I mean he blocks and wins headers, but he is so slow and poor 1v1 that it is ridiculous.

The problem is, the players we are starting with are that poor it's putting us on the back foot every game.

We are then having to hope the subs come in and turn things around. Very risky business.

We likely blow some of these teams away early doors with a stronger starting outfit.

And would much rather have our lesser players coming on fully fresh against tired opposition, as they are likely to look better in those circumstances.

43 minutes ago, STM said:

He subbed off Joelinton, that was absolutely ballsy.

Willock deserves his start now too.

Tonali / Bruno / Willock please. 

But he really needs to find a way to unlock Bruno again. He’s been quiet all season and our performances have reflected that. 

I thought we started well, should have led, but conceded a bad goal and went to pieces after it.

Our subs changed the momentum, but we remained vulnerable and needed their lack of quality to not go further behind.

Ultimately, the space they afforded our very good players, and a bit of luck with Schar goal let us score one and then another to win the game.

Bruno was pretty much anonymous today and we only got 45 out of Isak, so full marks to the others for stepping up and getting the job done.

2 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Tonali / Bruno / Willock please. 

But he really needs to find a way to unlock Bruno again. He’s been quiet all season and our performances have reflected that. 

I'd go:

Willock    Tonali     Bruno

49 minutes ago, christ said:

We played better then than we are now tbf :lol:

I give Eddie the benefit of the doubt but not starting Barnes was a curious choice. Longstaff over Tonali I could understand to some extent - he’d played twice in a week, wasn’t around on the training pitch - but Barnes guarantees goals at the minute.

The start was very much like this. Started well points wise but were fortunate in a few games and won with worldies.  

2 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

How many teams don't play their best 11 to give them options off the bench?...

Don't think that's a thing.

I hope and expect to see Tonali and Barnes start next game.

TBF we were the best team until they grabbed a goal on the counter. Looked like we would just eventually score. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

TBF we were the best team until they grabbed a goal on the counter. Looked like we would just eventually score. 

I do wonder how that game plays out if Gordon's shot was the other side of the post. Our tails were up at that point

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well it was clearly their strategy to sit off and let us have the ball to hit us on the counter so was difficult to not look the better side.

They really are trying to cause some unrest with this Mitchell saga. It sounds like something minor has been blown out of complete disproportion and surprise surprise the Sky twats are now running with it too

1 minute ago, Menace said:

They really are trying to cause some unrest with this Mitchell saga. It sounds like something minor has been blown out of complete disproportion and surprise surprise the Sky twats are now running with it too

Anything to try and derail the behemoth that is Newcastle UNITED :indi:

11 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Well it was clearly their strategy to sit off and let us have the ball to hit us on the counter so was difficult to not look the better side.

Well true, but it’s a very risky strategy. For example if Gordon scores. 

14 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

In the cup game I would really like to see what Osula has about him 🤔

He MUST start. Even prior to today we were saying that we don't want Isak to be playing 90 mins every game. If Wilson is out for a while, we need to get Osula involved even if it's just to give us fresh legs and save Isak for bigger moments.

1 hour ago, KingArthur said:

People might not realize, that Howe might just want to have options at the bench? Bringing in Murphy and Longstaff against tired legs does nothing. Bringing Harvey and Tonali does. I am pretty sure Tonali starts the next one.

Isak is again wandering nowhere to be seen for a long while. Not his fault, but I like it when he drops deep and turns. Our system especially in away games isolates him way too much. He is not a target man to hold up the play. This is really something Howe should fix. Maybe Trippier starting away could be one answer. He adds pace to our play with his passing. Tino is more of a dribbler.

Burn is horrible. I mean he blocks and wins headers, but he is so slow and poor 1v1 that it is ridiculous.

Starting a suboptimal team to have better bench options is madness. Noone does that. No way that was Eddies thinking.