Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I think Eddie got his selection just about right today.

Think Tonali starts against Fulham, Barnes could be back on the bench as that Robinson is a big danger in forward positions. 

I’d love to see Willock, Bruno, Tonali but can understand Big J starting ahead of Willock.

Hall or Kelly? Unsure. Tino or Tripps, difficult. I’d maybe go Tripps but Tino needs a run of games and be shown Eddie has full faith in him following his England call up.

We’re not clicking just yet, Eddie has to sort the midfield out.

I think just at times we're still carrying too many players who just aren't at the right technical level. Wolves were so much more comfortable on the ball throughout their team. 

Pope, Burn, Longstaff, Murphy and also the very young fullbacks, even Joelinton. All have the capacity to make mistakes and give the ball back pretty easily.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think just at times we're still carrying too many players who just aren't at the right technical level. Wolves were so much more comfortable on the ball throughout their team. 

Pope, Burn, Longstaff, Murphy and also the very young fullbacks, even Joelinton. All have the capacity to make mistakes and give the ball back pretty easily.

Right, which made it all the more frustrating that 2 of them started when better options where on the bench.

1 hour ago, CPL said:

I normally defend Howe but Barnes had to start today. Unless he was carrying a knock or something that we didn’t know about.

Agree on Barnes, cause he wasnt playing with NT. Gordon hasnt been as good as last year. Barnes earns a place. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

The problem is, the players we are starting with are that poor it's putting us on the back foot every game.

We are then having to hope the subs come in and turn things around. Very risky business.

We likely blow some of these teams away early doors with a stronger starting outfit.

And would much rather have our lesser players coming on fully fresh against tired opposition, as they are likely to look better in those circumstances.

You are right, but we are also starting players, like Burn, who puts us under pressure anyway. Why not Kelly LCB by the way?

and positive is that Howe is using the squad, last year we ran out of steam in November. 

But most likely Tonali will start from now on at least. 

Edited by KingArthur

I thought BDB was poor again today. Would like to see kelly in for dan at some point. Our defence is quite pedestrian at the moment.

Tino was also pretty bad on the ball and was just jogging back for the first goal

14 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Starting a suboptimal team to have better bench options is madness. Noone does that. No way that was Eddies thinking.

I dont think starting one player in Longstaff inplace of Tonali who has not played much is ”suboptimal”. Barnes yea, but neither him or Gordon are RW. Murphy (or Almiron) is a natural choice there. 

Yesterday Nkunku, Hudson-Odoi and Garnacho came of the bench to score. Would have guessed they should usually be starters. 

20 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

You are right, but we are also starting players, like Burn, who puts us under pressure anyway. Why not Kelly LCB by the way?

and positive is that Howe is using the squad, last year we ran out of steam in November. 

But most likely Tonali will start from now on at least. 

Yeah, he needs to figure some things out with who starts and the rotations.

Thankfully we are still picking up points. Would have been really demoralising if we were losing games off the back of these performances.

Fair play today. One of my main gripes with Howe, is how long he takes to make changes. I always feel like we wait until 55-60 minutes or mote before we make subs. He never seems to freshen things up at HT. 

But then today. He makes 3 subs after 45. Even if one of them was enforced. It’s still positive and something I’d like to see more of. 

58 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I dont think starting one player in Longstaff inplace of Tonali who has not played much is ”suboptimal”. Barnes yea, but neither him or Gordon are RW. Murphy (or Almiron) is a natural choice there. 

Yesterday Nkunku, Hudson-Odoi and Garnacho came of the bench to score. Would have guessed they should usually be starters. 

Strange how the Italian coach chose to start Tonali and play him for 90x2 right away then, and was rewarded with excellent performances for 90 minutes each game. Howe would never do the same in that situation, and you would be here defending the decision to not do it. The players that you mentioned was benched because other players deserved the spot ahead of them - through strong performances. That wasn't the case here.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Strange how the Italian coach chose to start Tonali and play him for 90x2 right away then, and was rewarded with excellent performances for 90 minutes each game. Howe would never do the same in that situation, and people like you would try to say that it was correct not to do it. The players that you mentioned was benched because other players deserved the spot ahead of them - through strong performances. That wasn't the case here.

We won 2-1 you know?

11 minutes ago, CPL said:

Cast your minds back to Euro 2024 this year. I think the comments against Howe are more than justified. 

On ya bike son.  I'm on a warning hence my politeness.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Good God!  Words fail me.

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

There’s not enough football ability between Longstaff Bruno Joelinton.  I don’t think there’s enough athleticism between them either at this point. 

Longstaff tries hard, is a Geordie and his dad played ice hockey in Whitley bay, so he must play!!1