Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 hours ago, 80 said:

As I recall we did partner with StatsBomb - and I think another? - but whether it was used well or we're still with them, I don't know.

There's different types of companies and services.

From what I recall, I think they were just recommending lists of players based on whatever criteria we provided.

It doesn't look like we ever implemented anything in house.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Didn’t Howe turn down Celtic because he couldn’t bring Richard Hughes with him as sporting director?

I remember something like that causing the move to breakdown. It may have been a number of backroom staff in general though.

11 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Reading the Bournemouth fan's views.  This bit really stuck out as something that is starting to become noticeable:

"but in his latter days he did show a bit of an unwillingness to change style and personel which held us a back a bit."

I feel like he is reluctant to play Gordon and Barnes from the off.  I think it is a bit of a failure on his part so far, as they are both too good to be sat on the bench and they offer some of our only attacking threat during a game.  Especially when the other wide options are pretty poor or it would mean someone out of position from CM playing out wide.  So not much different to rotating them right and left and both having spells in their less preferred position. 

The blind loyalty to Burn at LB last season and then also at CB this season.  Where despite some very good performances so far, he has also struggled and made some howlers.  I'm really surprised he doesn't at least try Kelly there.  Burn has to drop off because of his lack of mobility and speed and the gap between the midfield and back 4 is just as bad as a lot of last season, because of this.  

Longstaff has also been seemingly undroppable for large spells and when the trio of Tino, him and Murphy form our right hand side.  The football is non-existent. 

The team just appears a bit rigid and with plan A only at this stage.  I mean in regards to formation and approach, or lack thereof, from the off.  The double and triple subs at HT could be seen as positive or a negative, depending which way you want to look at it. 

10 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

The fact we don’t know our best XI yet is the thing giving me the most hope at the moment. We have options in most positions so there are a lot of combinations.

If Eddie and team can figure that out and correct a couple mental / physical ailments among our key players we could be off and running.

Massively contradicting myself on a lot of the above now :lol:  But I mentioned similar a couple of times the other day.  We don't seem set on our full backs, we now have 5 centre midfielders available who have all been first team regulars for spells during Howe's time here.  The right wing slot has certainly not been locked down by anyone.  

Regular changes to a side under Howe, especially unforced ones to the back 4, seem fairly rare in my head when we only have one game per week?  So maybe he is tinkering to get results.  But it is actually having a detrimental effect?   

It might be blind faith.  But the fact we haven't settled on a consistent lineup or got any sort of rhythm yet.  Makes me think we will start to do better as the season progresses and certain players actually play themselves into a bit of form.  It's just a shame that the next 5 games look so tricky. 

We’ll get mullered on Saturday if we play like we have been playing, thankfully we seem to raise our game v City.

At the moment as others have said he seems very unsure of his first 11 and is making so many changes e.g at full back. We’re terrible in possession and teams are piling through our midfield and onto the back four. Plus there’s the clear issues with Gordon and not getting Isak the ball.

There’s loads of issues and I back him to get us back on track but we’ve got some really tough games coming up. Maybe that’s what we need ironically?

16 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

We’ll get mullered on Saturday if we play like we have been playing, thankfully we seem to raise our game v City.

At the moment as others have said he seems very unsure of his first 11 and is making so many changes e.g at full back. We’re terrible in possession and teams are piling through our midfield and onto the back four. Plus there’s the clear issues with Gordon and not getting Isak the ball.

There’s loads of issues and I back him to get us back on track but we’ve got some really tough games coming up. Maybe that’s what we need ironically?

Predict that Joelinton will absolutely boss our midfield against Saturday. Then as soon as we play Everton he'll look poor again. 

Suspect Longstaff will come in for Willock with Tonali coming on at HT.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Predict that Joelinton will absolutely boss our midfield against Saturday. Then as soon as we play Everton he'll look poor again. 

Suspect Longstaff will come in for Willock with Tonali coming on at HT.

More likely Tonali starts against City in a game we will get dominated in, then dropped and Longstaff in against Everton.

Can't be far off a Howe in or out poll on here the way it's going and the stuff I've read the last few weeks

The mental thing is I reckon most would be happy for him to go.

Can't put my finger on it but I just don't feel invested and connected as I have the last couple of seasons. Don't know if it's down to the summer window or just football in general.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Can't be far off a Howe in or out poll on here the way it's going and the stuff I've read the last few weeks

Can't put my finger on it but I just don't feel invested and connected as I have the last couple of seasons. Don't know if it's down to the summer window or just football in general.

We aren’t close to that yet, I think a few are concerned myself included but not close to calling for heads or anything like that. 

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

We had an awful transfer window and the team haven't started playing yet. I get why you're feeling that way. It's very hard to enjoy watching us play at the moment, but it's surely got to click sometime soon. Too many of our good players are out of form, that's gonna come back.

For me, it’s football in general but also the fact that there’s absolutely zero indications about where we’re going as a club at the moment from the most senior level. There’s talk but no action to back it up and there’s an enormous amount of uncertainty brewing on several matters.

Fundamentally though, I hate football off-the-pitch in a way I’ve never felt before. I still enjoy watching football a huge amount but it is affected by how fucked up it is in terms of corruption and a model of capitalism that is damaging to fans and society as a whole 

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

On here?  Not a chance, IMO.

Even quite a few of his big critics on here wouldn't be that trigger happy at such an early stage, I don't think.  The Howe v Mitchell thread sort of suggests as much. 

Just now, Ronaldo said:

It’s not a model of capitalism though. Clubs aren’t allowed to spend what they want for a start.

It certainly is a model of capitalism. Players receive hundreds of thousands of pounds per week, fair enough, they’re the ones who deserve it. Clubs are raising ticket prices to levels most fans can’t sustain. There are betting sponsors everywhere, every potential source of income is sought out and drained to the limit. You have clubs like Chelsea selling teams to themselves and properties to themselves to get round rules. Everything is being bled dry.

Sure, there are some rules that inhibit completely unfettered spending but the whole business of football is hyper-capitalism where money dictates absolutely everything 

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

For me, it’s football in general but also the fact that there’s absolutely zero indications about where we’re going as a club at the moment from the most senior level. There’s talk but no action to back it up and there’s an enormous amount of uncertainty brewing on several matters.

Fundamentally though, I hate football off-the-pitch in a way I’ve never felt before. I still enjoy watching football a huge amount but it is affected by how fucked up it is in terms of corruption and a model of capitalism that is damaging to fans and society as a whole 

I follow cycling and that lessens the impact from the negative aspects of football. It’s a great outlet. 

20 minutes ago, gbandit said:

It certainly is a model of capitalism. Players receive hundreds of thousands of pounds per week, fair enough, they’re the ones who deserve it. Clubs are raising ticket prices to levels most fans can’t sustain. There are betting sponsors everywhere, every potential source of income is sought out and drained to the limit. You have clubs like Chelsea selling teams to themselves and properties to themselves to get round rules. Everything is being bled dry.

Sure, there are some rules that inhibit completely unfettered spending but the whole business of football is hyper-capitalism where money dictates absolutely everything 

Yeah. There's those rules which have been implemented specifically to stop us spending on the squad. But want to spend on a training ground? Knock yourselves out. :lol:

I wonder if our overtake lack of intensity is partly down to the transfer window (or lack of) hangover and several players either keen to move (Trippier) or linked with move such as Gordon, Almiron etc. Feels like the side as a whole has lost that cohesion and energy. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

43 minutes ago, gbandit said:

The impact of PSR is only being felt more and more on the game and I would - to some extent - sympathise with our owners if they said "why even bother?" I say 'to some extent' because there's still a lot to play for and the basketcasery of certain clubs will ensure that doors are left ajar, as we and Villa have proven. 

PSR is why I feel pretty forgiving of the transfer window even now. Clearly we are accountable to failing to sign anyone at all, but the rules are designed to help us fail. It's some pretty crucial context that we all need to remember before piling-on anyone connected to the club.

No idea whats wrong but been some fairly solid guesses already also on the back of how Eddie replied to the question  about contracts is the number of players still playing right now on final year of contract or final 2 years of contract also contributing to the mood in the camp? 

The biggest disappointment so far this season, is that it hasn't felt "fun" anticipating watching one of our games. Last season, at home, I was excited, no matter who we played. Away games at first as well, but then we started to look shit, and then every away game just felt like waiting for some sort of dreadful performance. Now, I'm going into games expecting disjointed football with questionable team selections, which feels miles away from the overwhelming positivity we experienced a few seasons ago.

I think Howe will get it right, I guess the frustration is that I (probably wrongly) expected us to kick on right from the off this year, with no Europe and the target of getting into the Top 6 being achievable. The summer didn't help, of course. But, I do think we can get going again. Maybe Man City is coming at a good time, because everyone will have to raise their game. Just hope we see Barnes, Isak, Gordon up top and Tonali in from the start.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

The team just appears a bit rigid and with plan A only at this stage.  I mean in regards to formation and approach, or lack thereof, from the off.  The double and triple subs at HT could be seen as positive or a negative, depending which way you want to look at it. 

It's both at the same time. It's positive in the sense that Howe recognizes the need to change things up, and does so much earlier than he's done before, but it's negative because the team isn't performing as planned and/or was wrong from the beginning.

15 minutes ago, Conjo said:

It's both at the same time. It's positive in the sense that Howe recognizes the need to change things up, and does so much earlier than he's done before, but it's negative because the team isn't performing as planned and/or was wrong from the beginning.

Well yeah. Exactly. Said as much on another post about Howe and his HT subs.

Worded this badly, perhaps. It’s not either or. 

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

It’s not a model of capitalism though. Clubs aren’t allowed to spend what they want for a start.

It's a fantastic example if you get into how the huge companies stay ahead through lobbying, protectionism, lawfare, buying IPs etc. Football in general has so many excellent allegories imo, not just with capitalism. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I follow cycling and that lessens the impact from the negative aspects of football. It’s a great outlet. 

I was the same with Golf until about 2 years ago, now even that has it's problems (albeit from a source a bit closer to home!)