Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

The lack of change to the formation is like that press notification you get in FM when you've been on a shit run and it suggests your stubbornness with it is why you're losing and a change might do you good, but he's ignoring it.

17 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

We’ll know as this season unfolds. How much of this was all the momentum train, so much positivity and hope, now it feels like it’s stalled massively and the hearts gone!  We need resuscitating somehow [emoji38]

Things must be grim if you’re losing hope!

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I don't think Howe having his nephew on the scouting department is a positive either. Reeks of nepotism.

Howe was holding the England job over the club's head in the summer coming out with Benitez-esque comments in Germany. But imo Staveley et al allowed him quasi free rein in the transfer market. Ashworth presumably part of that. That's now gone, Howe wasn't happy about it and the following friction resulted in that mess of a summer. 

Away from that for a sec, on the pitch we're consistently regressing with no clear way out. It's so stale, and I think the players know that too.

It's not nepitism like, they'd worked together for a decade and he was part of the team that got Bournemouth into the Prem. Howe would have had good reason to recommend him.

Like you're getting at though, this is part of the issue, Howe's team are obviously good, but we need to be ruthless and recruit the best, Howe needs to be a cog in the system if we're to compete with Man City & Arsenal, and until Mitchell arrived that didn't seem like it was going to happen.

6 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

He just seems too sensible as a man to be this tactically stubborn.

It's a bit weird.

It will also be his downfall here unfortunately and it will also stop him from becoming a truly top class manager.

This is what baffles me. He's obviously a very smart man, he looks at the data, he scrutinises the performances intensely, and yet he comes up with...this. It's odd. We are sticking to principles that no longer exist within our group.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Probably goes without saying at this point, but still find the questioning of him mental tbh.

Genuine question - how much more of the same until you do question him?

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Probably goes without saying at this point, but still find the questioning of him mental tbh.

Calling for the sack would be mental. Questioning is fair enough when the team looks this ropey.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

As is thinking that he could do something he's never done and play with one, though. :lol:

He could do now and he isn't. But it means playing one of our CMs out of position because we haven't signed one.

Fair.

I'd be tempted to see Schar as DM tbh in a 3-5-2/5-3-2.

I posted something a little while back which I think would work.

5 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think the big problem Eddie has is that he's never really been a big tactical manager. He's a motivator and he coaches teams to play with intensity. 

It seems like that motivation just isn't working this season, particularly away from home. There were signs of it fading last season too. We don't have a tactical setup to fall back on so we end up looking incoherent.  

The players don't look like they trust the old way of playing which was to press high with the old intensity is our identity mantra. Not surprising with two of the slowest CBs in the league, with a no 6 who lacks pace as well. But when we sit back, we can't pass our way out and just lose possession for long periods.

Probably worth pointing out that we're 9 games into the season, performances are gradually improving and we're 6 points off 4th. There's ages left yet, and if Isak hadn't switched bodies with Riviere for the last 2 games we'd be right up there. 

Understand frustrations with the results obviously, but I don't think this is the spiral it's being portrayed as 

8 minutes ago, hakka said:

They were all here and why we got CL. Howe didn't qualify for CL with a Championship side is my point.

Original point was about finishing 10th with a championship side.

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Things must be grim if you’re losing hope!

I know [emoji38] there is a rabbit away and it’s not just on the pitch. Hope we turn a corner and get that wining feel back. The family feel’s missing.Lots gone on in the summer that has filtered through to the squad vibe. I’ll review it after the season. Big January coming up! I want Eddie to be the one, I hope he can be :indi:

I love Eddie, but I’ve always held the opinion that he’s not the manager to take us to elite level as much as I want this to happen.

Obviously it’s a lot to do with the players you have to pick, but we never seem to play a tactical setup in these so called big away games that gives us a chance. You knew before started that there would be gaps behind the midfield 3 and it just wasn’t addressed. There’s no way somebody like Emery sets a team up like that 

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't want to fall too far into the realms of questioning him, but I do think he is at his toughest point, and I do fear that managers of his type often run out of steam at clubs, especially when the squad begins to get stale as well. 

This season is a perfect storm for him. Stale squad, ageing players in key positions, Isak losing form, Gordon losing form, Trippier and Wilson being unavailable (and in the case of the former, a shadow of himself), Bruno looking out of sorts, two kids at full back... Add all that to the fact that he hasn't changed anything tactically to accommodate, and it's clear he could quickly find himself in a very tricky position. 

I'd like to think he can turn it around but I don't think he'll do it by playing the same system week in week out. 

2 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Probably worth pointing out that we're 9 games into the season, performances are gradually improving and we're 6 points off 4th. There's ages left yet, and if Isak hadn't switched bodies with Riviere for the last 2 games we'd be right up there. 

Understand frustrations with the results obviously, but I don't think this is the spiral it's being portrayed as 

It’s not the results so much as the performances and the total lack of new ideas. 

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Original point was about finishing 10th with a championship side.

You said dragged a Championship side to CL. So I just commented he didn't quite do that.

2 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

Yeah, really want the guy to succeed. Deserves another window and some players actually playing to their ability. We look like we’ve regressed from previous seasons, which is why everyone is on him and he did so well previously it’s almost hindering any type of leeway for him. 

Think he's been outstanding in difficult circumstances since he arrived, until the summer personally and as you rightly say, this season we have regressed ever so slightly. Just looking at our last 4 games though and scoring our big opportunities we come out with at least 6 more points and it's a different situation. Prior to that, we had poor performances but points. Not seeing much recognition of Eddie making the right substitutes to influence those fixtures and now he is utilising certain individuals (not you) that folk were desperately calling for starts, and it isn't working it's all Eddie's fault?

Interesting.

23 minutes ago, 54 said:

Also, fuck sacking a manager after one bad run of form, thats Chelsea under Abramovich bullshit, and I absolutely detest that system. 

You mean the most successful period in their history where they won every trophy they could? Who would ever want to copy that?

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

We’re also 6 points from 17th and I honestly can’t see where our next win is coming from at the moment.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Calling for the sack would be mental. Questioning is fair enough when the team looks this ropey.

For me personally, automatically jumping to questioning Howe is still mental. I don't think there was anything seriously worrying about today in terms of me looking at Howe.

7 minutes ago, Heron said:

Agreed. Don't think you can account for the whole last calender year though.

He is accountable for the start of this season to now for me, and that's only 9 games. Hence why in my eyes he absolutely deserves at the bar eminum the rest of the season. We are so close to clicking.

Hope you're right m8. To me it seems like we're drifting rather than building or gaining momentum. I also think (and I don't necessarily mean you here Heron) lots of us were so scarred by the Ashley era that we're still somewhat influenced by that in our analysis of the club now and our thinking. We've one win in 6 games and that was an awful game against Wimbledon. I hope this is just a bump in the road to success rather than us hitting the off ramp. 

He's failed when he has a squad akin to other squads in the top 6 and he doesn't finish in the top 6. 

We have players in our squad that get regular game time that aren't even PL standard nevermind top 6 material.

1 minute ago, NE28 said:

You mean the most successful period in their history where they won every trophy they could? Who would ever want to copy that?

They had a blank cheque book in that period, we'd only be copying the knee-jerk reaction rather than the success. Anybody would have had success with them. Di Matteo won the Champions League.

Just now, Holmesy said:

It’s not the results so much as the performances and the total lack of new ideas. 

Performances have been improving though? We've been looking better since City imo, definitely an improvement from earlier in the season. It's why I'm not going to get overly concerned at this point

We could of used the loan system for a right winger and centre half even a defensive midfielder or the free market. But we never seem to even bother with it it would of freshened the squad up aswell.